Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but has anyone experienced tracks not appearing in the list when you use a memory stick in the USB slot?

In the last few days I have noticed that certain songs hadn't been played, so I loaded the stick on my PC in case they weren't there, but they all appear (and can be played) on the computer.  Also, as far as I can see, there is no difference between the ones that are there and the ones that aren't.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes I've seen this and not just in a Lexus. There are a number of things to try:

1. Check the maximums (total no. files on the drive, total no. files in a folder, total no. folders etc.) in the manual and see if you have too many of anything.

2. Try recopying the files that don't work.

3. Try copying files to a different memory stick and see if that works,

4. If you have album art on the tracks, check the size of it. I think there is a limit to the size it can cope with.

5. Try the files without any album art.

6. Some people suggest that removing all of the tags sometimes helps.

7. If none of these work, try recreating/re-downloading the affected files.

Most head units are well behind current technology even when they are new and are notoriously fussy about what they'll play. You might find that there is a slight problem with some of the files that a PC can cope with, but the head unit can't.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Do you play tracks in order or randomly?

I have a few hundred songs on my USB flash drive and the system is set to random play. However, in the 100 mile drive from here to my mother in law's, I noticed that some songs played two or three times whilst others didn't play at all. I did some digging around and discovered that 'random' play doesn't mean play all songs in a random order before repeating any of them - the system could 'randomly' play the same song five or more consecutive times before randomly moving to a different one.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

@spacenase There are 310 files in the root folder with no sub folders.  There aren't any other files on the stick (no art, thumbs, etc..), but I am not sure what you mean by tags?  I have re-copied a couple of the files that don't work, so will try them tomorrow to see if they have re-appeared.

@Herbie I play randomly, so I certainly notice what you describe about the 'random' playback.  Mine definitely prefers some songs over others.  It looks like we have a similar audio setup (Do you use a memory stick?), so I don't suppose you have noticed any missing tracks?  I initially thought it was just the random feature not playing them, but then I scrolled through the list in the car and they weren't there.

It would be annoying if I can't play these songs, especially as there are roughly 50 it can't currently see, so I hope something can be done.

Thanks again.

are you sure that the files are mp3 if they came from itunes they are apple files whilst they will p;ay with  the phone on Bluetooth they WILL not play from a memory stick through USB they will have to be converted to either WMA or MP3 i have itunes now configured to convert to MP3 not AAC

• Like 1

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions, but they aren't from iTunes.  As far as I can see, they are all mp3, or so my computer says when I look at them.  I looked at the properties of one of the files that works as opposed to one that doesn't and I can't see any difference.

There must be something different though...

Hi Shahpor

sorry about that i thought that would have been the answer

however i didhave a problem with my USB a couple of years ago i had a kingston memory stick and i cant recall exactly what it was but it didnt play correctly so i got a San Disk cruzer blade and that was perfect i have just took it out of car to check it puts all the albums up and the artists etc so i would have a look at that option as they are cheap as chips now

Hope it goes alright for you mate

Robert

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Thanks chaps,

@spacenase There are 310 files in the root folder with no sub folders.  There aren't any other files on the stick (no art, thumbs, etc..), but I am not sure what you mean by tags?  I have re-copied a couple of the files that don't work, so will try them tomorrow to see if they have re-appeared.

Do you see the track name, artist name and a picture of the album cover when a track plays? If so, that's the tag information. You can use something like MP3Tag to change or delete them.

13 hours ago, KayCee said:

are you sure that the files are mp3 if they came from itunes they are apple files whilst they will p;ay with  the phone on bluetooth they WILL not play from a memory stick through USB they will have to be converted to either WMA or MP3 i have itunes now configured to convert to MP3 not AAC

I don't know when it was introduced, but mine will play AAC files.

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

It looks like I might have found the answer, and to my great embarrassment, it was in the manual. :blush:

I should have checked your first suggestion sooner, since it appears that there is a limit of 255 files per folder.  I have just now split the root into 2 folders and they have all appeared.

So, thanks for the all the help chaps, and I will certainly try and RTFM before posting on here next time. :smile:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Hi Keith,

It looks like I might have found the answer, and to my great embarrassment, it was in the manual. :blush:

I should have checked your first suggestion sooner, since it appears that there is a limit of 255 files per folder.  I have just now split the root into 2 folders and they have all appeared.

So, thanks for the all the help chaps, and I will certainly try and RTFM before posting on here next time. :smile:

How does one split a root into 2 folders?  I have your problem with my files being too big !

@KayCee Thanks.  I was a bit concerned because it would have been very annoying, and since I intend to keep this car for some time, quite frustrating.

@royoftherovers John, if you mean you also have too many files in one folder, you need to move them on a computer.  Instead of just dumping them on the stick, I created 2 folders called 1 and 2 and split the files between them.  I assume you are using a memory stick?

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

@KayCee Thanks.  I was a bit concerned because it would have been very annoying, and since I intend to keep this car for some time, quite frustrating.

@royoftherovers John, if you mean you also have too many files in one folder, you need to move them on a computer.  Instead of just dumping them on the stick, I created 2 folders called 1 and 2 and split the files between them.  I assume you are using a memory stick?

Many thanks SHAHPOR, I will do that using my PC and many memory sticks.

• Like 1