Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Off the line.....

Please don't tag me as someone expecting high speed performance from the RC. I really like so many aspects of the car and most if the time I just enjoy the whole relaxing experience of it.  It is plenty quick enough for day to day driving, and I have even chosen the RC for cross country runs when I go to Silverstone several times a year as opposed to the play car, an Mazda RX8.  It's a well planted A road muncher, but I'm sure many of us already know this. 

Just wondering if anyone has done a 0-60 mph test, with a phone app or against a mate's car who acceleration is known? I find the claimed Lexus time of 8.6s seemingly under egging the real world performance. With the electric motor assistance up to about 25 to 30mph, my car shoots off the line in S or S+ mode.  My RX8 should be a 6.4s car and it's pretty swift although low torque you need to be > 6,000 rpm before she wakes up.....  I'm thinking the RC is more of a mid 7s car but I wonder whether the initial surge you get gives this faster impression and that the acceleration soon dips away.

So just curious if others feel Lexus are conservative on their performance claims?

Cheers Roger.

FB_IMG_1529782061504.jpg

Remember Lexus test 0-100 for the time and when looking at your speedo allowing for Toyota optimistic speedo that your real 100km will be about 68mph on the speedo.

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

In my experience 0-60 times declared by Lexus (but also Toyota and Hyundai) are prudential and to be intended as max values, provided that tests are done with driver and another passenger. Expect at least 0.5 seconds less. Not an exceptional result, but neither "slow".

• Like 1

18 hours ago, R07ARY said:

.... I'm thinking the RC is more of a mid 7s car but I wonder whether the initial surge you get gives this faster impression and that the acceleration soon dips away.....

Nice car, looks like the twin of mine 😍!   In the absence of reliably precise times, I'd largely agree with the above statement, certainly in terms of                                  

driver impression, though my own observation would be that, in Sport or Sport+ with the accelerator floored, the rate of acceleration tends to                                              

stabilise about halfway to the 100kmh mark, and does not perceptibly start to dip away do until you reach somewhere around 140>kmh.   As well  

having sometimes done so myself, I have had passengers time me with the stop function of their wris****ches, and while the results have                          

inevitably been distorted by inconsistencies if pedal pressure, personal reactivity etc. the RC has always clocked 0-100kmh times nearer to 8'                    

than 9'.   But although I think I have come close, I have never broken 8'.   I should add that, in the interests of sparing the tyres, I've never tried                       

to launch the car from a standstill  with the loud pedal floored, preferring to roll for a few metres before stamping on it.  I don't know what method                

or techniques Lexus and other manufacturers adopt for their declared results.

Be all this as it may, my liking for the RC derives less from the quantification of performance, which is far from inadequate, than its nature, which                                                                               

is never less than pleasant.  To this day, even though logic tells me that the IS300h declaredly beats the RC300h by 0.2' to 100kmh because it is                                             

a lighter car (a fact also reflected in better fuel consumption), I have not ceased to be amazed by the impression of superior dynamism and               

balance the RC transmits to the driver.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Feedback appreciated. To me the ultimate acceleration performance was never a determining factor when I bought the car, and it was my surprise in how spritely it is that prompted my post.  14 months in and every drive is looked forward to, never becoming "I'll take the car" situations but more "I really want to take this car".

Here's a laugh for you, at 48 I used the cruise control for the first time today. And that's for any car I've had!!!! Sounds unbelievable I know but these systems have never appealed to me. I don't drive much on motorways,  just usually for a few junctions locally and only only occasionally. Anyway, quite impressed really. You can get off the floor and climb back on your chairs now......

18 hours ago, R07ARY said:

... I used the cruise control for the first time today....   ....these systems have never appealed to me ....

Roger:   I don't know which ACC version you have, but mine is the one which cuts out with an acoustic warning when your speed, like that of

the vehicle in front, drops below 40kmh (= 30mph), and not the newer ACC+, which automatically brings you to a full stop.  I have had the latter

on loaner cars and not found it better in normal use - though I imagine it might well be in high-speed situations when your own reaction times 

may not be good enough.  I believe the radar can be turned off by a specific series of twiddles on the control stalk, thus leaving only the classic

constant-speed function, but I see no point to ever doing so.  I almost always use the ACC on motorways and often on fast roads with light

or light-ish traffic.  Like most other features of the Lexus safety package, and not being prone to a sense of false security (or so I like to think),

I find it well-nigh indispensable.  Since I believe that all road users except myself are idiots (and am probably not alone in this) I regard any

safety device as a welcome form of self-protection.   This does not mean I don't find some of them irritating, especially when they primarily

consist of an acoustic warning.  The worst offender in this regard is the lane-change alert (which, in Canada, I was once amused to hear

described as an LLV, or "Lexus Lane Valet").  There was a time I thought the strength of the beep might have proved sufficiently startling

to counteract possible dozing off and off-course drifting on long and boring motorway drives, but it would so frequently sound off after

misreading lane-markings, or perhaps reading residual traces of old ones, especially in the damp, as to represent a danger in itself.  So it

has now become the device I probably use least.

My cruise system is not radar controlled so you still need to be fully on the ball, just not on and off the throttle all the time.  well if it is is, I haven't noticed any chance approaching behind another vehicle on the motorway.  Anyway it's become habit this week.....

Odd.  I thought all RC300h F-Sport models since launch, including UK spec ones, had ACC or, more recently, the + version thereof.  Obviously

I was mistaken.  Anyway, stay on the ball and drive safe.