Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Failure - Adjusting Belt

Jacko88

Hi all,

My power steering has failed on my 2001 IS200. I can till turn but the steering wheel is now super heavy and squeals really loudly.

From what I can gather from google/these forums the power steering pump/pulley is the one on the far left as you look from the front. Is this correct? If so the belt is present and doesn't appear to be damaged. There is quite a bit of give, I can almost turn it 180 degrees (1st pic)

Is there a picture guide or diagram of how to adjust the power steering belt tension. I think I should be able to slide it back and forth but unsure which bolts need to be loosened.

Curiously it looks like there is a belt missing as there are two pulleys with no belt attached. From more googling/forum searches I think this is the ac compressor. Would this have affect the power steering? (2nd/3rd pics)

IMG_20181204_130542.jpg

IMG_20181204_130556.jpg

IMG_20181204_130458.jpg

You’re correct, it the unit at the bottom left of the picture, under and slightly to three left of the water pump. If memory serves, it’s one bolt that needs loosening off a bit - the one a little bit up from the bottom left of the pic. Once slightly loose, get a long lever in between the pump and the block (e.g. long screwdriver or breaker bar) and yank on that to the left to tighten the belt, then tighten the bolt. I do wonder about the condition of the belt though to get that loose, so make sure it’s ok.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I agree with Paul above. The adjustment bolt is the one above your hand in the last picture. Adjusting will bring back the power steering, but the belt could part at any time.

The missing belt is for the AC.

John.

If the water pump belt let’s go you’ll have no cooling either. It’s a bit awkward changing them but quite doable. I must admit I changed mine whilst I had the rad out to change that. I also put a new water pump in while I was there - at 140k it made sense, even though the original turned out to still be nice and tight. Tbh, these are the only parts I’ve ever needed to change under the bonnet outside of normal service items. These cars are so well made.

Thanks Everyone, your replies have been really useful

Don't suppose there's any step by step picture/diagram guides for changing belts DIY? I've been searching altezza forums too but either not out there or I can't hit the right search terms.

Cheers

15 hours ago, J Henderson said:

I have a full set of belts for an IS200 that I need to get shot of. £20 if you're interested.

Belts-01.thumb.jpg.7542d2e3500de5405a3984ab129621e1.jpg

Yes I'll take them mate

Thanks!

Any advice on getting fan assembly out? Hoping this can be done without removing rad.

Yep, the fan assembly bolts to the rad via (I think) four bolts. Remove bolts and lift out. There are two electrical connections to the fans that need to be disconnected first. This is from memory when I did the job two years ago though so a bit hazy now.

Yes I'll take them mate
Thanks!
Any advice on getting fan assembly out? Hoping this can be done without removing rad.
Sorry mate, never got around to fitting them before I sold my car.

PM sent

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk