Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

rx400h forward blind spot

Just thought I would post this warning.  I have had my Rx400h for about 5 years now and in that time have probably been caught out 5 or 6 times by something that people should be aware of even though it's an unusual set of circumstances.

I'm approaching a roundabout and a car is approaching the same roundabout from the right.  If he happens to be obscured by my right side driver's door pillar AND happens to be travelling at a speed that keeps him there while we are both decelerating, he doesn't come into view until about 30 or 40 yards crossing in front of me.  The driver's door pillar is quite thick and can obscure even large cars.  It's even more worrying when it has obscured a cyclist, as to remain obscured at his speed he has to be much closer to my car.

Mike

All cars have a rear blindspot which my 430 solved brilliantly with a two part mirror which unfortunately they didn;t put on the 400H.  But I cannot remember a single occasion with any of my 6 or 7 previous cars (all saloons) where a car coming at right angles was hidden by the drivers' door pillar.  My bet is that the 400H door pillar is unusually thick.

Mike

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I am not sure I understand what the issue is. Is this not the case with all cars?

To a greater or lesser extent, probably yes.

In my 300 I sometimes need to have a quick lean forward just to check all is clear...

I've been caught out at pedestrian crossings. Once a girl just walked out in front of the car expecting me to stop. My speed meant I didn't see her approach the crossing because of the windscreen pillar. I also didn't see her walk onto the crossing despite the oncoming car and I only saw her at the last moment as she walked in front of the car on my side of the road. Luckily the brakes worked well that day. Of course she carried on crossing oblivious to the 4x4 squirming to a stop just feet from the crossing as she chatted on her phone.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links