Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paranoid newbie!

Toughers87

Hey guys, Hope you're all well. I became the proud owner of a very clean is200 sport on Saturday, low mileage, service history, cambelt changed apart from the wheels needing a refurb it's pretty much mint, I'll post pics at the weekend. I'm absolutely smitten with it. However there are a couple of things I feel unsure about as this is my first lexus and first rwd car in about 12 years. There is a whining noise under acceleration, I don't think it's the engine sounds almost like a quiet supercharger? Is this normal? Also although steering feels nice and weighty, it does feel like I have to make small adjustments alot of the time (possibly tracking?) any help or advice would be great. Apart from these uncertainties the car is great!!!

Welcome to the Club!

Both the issues you mention point to various things - could be something as simple as tyres.  Age, tread depth, signs of dryness, uneven wear, tyre specs on the same axle - do check if you haven't done so already.  A check of all the fluid levels/ condition would be the other standard thing to do.

That car has been extremely well maintained in a previous life, it is really very very clean. But I didn't pay alot for it (in my opinion) so maybe I'm just being paranoid and expecting something to be wrong with it.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:16 PM, Toughers87 said:

That car has been extremely well maintained in a previous life, it is really very very clean. But I didn't pay alot for it (in my opinion) so maybe I'm just being paranoid and expecting something to be wrong with it.

I know what you mean.  Age affects the price, but if the car is in good shape and is a model that hasn't got age related ticking bombs in it, carry on enjoying it as long as it lasts!  Hope it serves you well.

I'd get a few specific details about the issues you've mentioned and then post them in the IS200 forum.  That'll give you a good idea about their true nature.  

I read on the forums about the whining noise and it sounds like aloof the manual cars do it and it doesn't sound like it's lead to any issues for people even after tens of thousands of miles! So I'm no longer concerned with that and I'm having the tracking done next week. New car paranoia is wearing off now.

• Like 1