Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mark 4 Exhaust flange update

I posted an article about three months ago regarding the corrosion of the exhaust flange( cat to pipe) and past experience with my Mark 1 and prevention on the Mark 4 with Rust-oleum  hard hat 750  degree centigrade spray paint

Well since the application I have done a thousand miles and 500 of that was 5 hours non stop mainly motorway driving.

As can be seen in the photos the paint that as been sprayed on the surrounding areas of the mild steel flange is starting to peel off,whereas the paint that was applied with a brush on the flange itself is still intact and there is still a unbroken paint surface there.

The rest of the winter as yet to pass and I will monitor the condition of the paint on the flange area with an up to date report when there is any change.

I have posted some pics of the condition of the Mark 1 flanges and subsequent weld botch that were done in 2012 when the car was 22 years old with 180k on the clock.

DSC03635.JPG

251.JPG

252.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Further to my last update in late 2018 I am now posting a new update  of today with regard to the condition of the flanges. The surrounding paint as flaked off but the flanges have suffered no paint loss and more important they show no signs of corrosion this  experiment as proved a 100% success  and I can now recommend it to all owners who will be suffering from this issue .

DSC03690.JPG

• Thanks 1