Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing shock absorbers to soften the ride

penguinpaul

I've got a 2011 SE-L, and the ride is very hard.
I've heard that they softened the suspension setup on the facelift model, so I'm wondering if anyone has fitted shock absorbers from the facelift model (or perhaps aftermarket) to a pre-facelift in order to soften the ride. (If they're even compatible)
I've downsized to 16" alloys for winter, and that's helped, but would love to go back to the factory 17s for summer.

Anyone done anything like this?

Cheers,
Paul

They significantly stiffened the chassis in 2014 with new welds which then allowed for the suspension to be softened slightly. Doing one without the other might have adverse results.

Would you have access to a facelift model to try it before committing to spend on yours?

i've driven the facelift model as a courtesy car and the ride didn't feel soft

imo its still quiet firm so personally i wouldn't bother, my advice to you is to

go and test drive a new model and see how the car feels

I had heard that they'd added some new welds, but was hoping that it wasn't anything too significant. My 2003 Fiat Stilo I had before this rode like a Rolls Royce in comparison! (with the same profile tyres) Comfy and smooth, with little body roll, so I would hope I could go a bit softer on the CT without compromising badly on handling.

However if the facelift models aren't that much better, then perhaps it's not the way forward. Unfortunately my closest dealer (and any garage with a facelift CT) is a 130 mile round trip, so I'm not sure I'll be able to do that quite yet.
Maybe aftermarket will be an option.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that your only option is compromise. If you have to have 17" wheels because you like them , then you are stuck with a harsh ride. If you really must have a softer ride, then fit 15"s.There is however another alternative which is to sell the car and buy something else with low profile tyres and softer ride quality. Whichever way you turn, you have a compromise on your hands. As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, fitting softer dampers originally intended for the strengthened chassis may also compromise.

It does seem that I’m trying to find the best compromise. The car currently has 16s on it, and going from the 17s to the 16s didn’t make a huge difference, hence looking elsewhere to try and improve it. 

In the new year I might take the trip up to Exeter Lexus, and see about test driving a facelift model and see how it compares. 

why dont you try what seems to be the natural progression from a CT

an IS300h here is a link for lexus exeter

https://exeter.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/IS-300h/25-Executive-Edition-hkbsd3l

i had an 11 plate CT bought in 2013 i am now on my 2nd IS300h ,my car is the F sport variant

on 18" wheels and the ride isn't harsh and my last IS300h was on 17" wheels and again not a harsh ride.

have a test drive and see how you feel afterwards.

• Like 1

I have a 2011 SE L Premier and yes it’s harsh but compared to my previous 2015 Suzuki Swift Sport the CT is soft.
I drove a facelift model and found absolutely no difference at all. I don’t want to go down The aftermarket route as I’ve had enough of that from previous cars.
I’m quite happy with it as it is.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

when i had a new CT as a courtesy car it felt really harsh

i can't ever remember my 2011 Ct being as hard as this

what tyres do you have i had dunlop sport maxx rt and

the ride was good