Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 450h prices?

We have had our 2014 RX450H Advance for just over 3 years now and have been thinking of upgrading to a 2016/17 4RX but the cost to change is at least £17k and that’s quite hard to take for something which is only a couple of years younger and as Paul says drives pretty much the same.

last October we were offered £16900 by Lexus coventry against a 2016 premier which was priced at £39000.We thought this was just way too much to change.

15 minutes ago, Eame64 said:

We have had our 2014 RX450H Advance for just over 3 years now and have been thinking of upgrading to a 2016/17 4RX but the cost to change is at least £17k and that’s quite hard to take for something which is only a couple of years younger and as Paul says drives pretty much the same.

last October we were offered £16900 by Lexus coventry against a 2016 premier which was priced at £39000.We thought this was just way too much to change.

Exactly...you could have bought another 2015 Advance (His and Hers LoL) and still had change from what it would otherwise cost you to trade "up" to the newer model.  Simply not worth it.

• Like 1

The "new" costs have risen so that hasn't helped things either when it comes to used. Like many other manufacturers I think they're pushing the PCP/PCH routes so the end user can be talked into continuing their monthly payments...

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

Yes, fuel economy is still better than an average 2 litre family saloon of say a decade or more ago.   Don't even get me started on these newer small capacity "disposable" direct injection puny little petrol engines stressed up to the nines with turbo charging, super charging or both!  Few normally aspirated petrol cars of 1.8 to 2 litre in a medium to large body style, in reality, better mid 30mpg average, even Honda's excellent little i-vtec unit.  Our 2.2 Merc Diesel estate in auto trim (Avantgarde Sport model I think) only managed 36mpg average.  The Lexus GS300 (2007 V6 model) bettered it on a long run.  I drove to the Lake district and back a few years ago in that, fully loaded and averaged over 40mpg!  I miss the GS...it was faster, handled better and was more luxurious, better specified and better made I think that my current RX.  Only sold it as I galled spending over £500 a year to tax it plus mileage was creeping up.  The RX is a fine vehicle though and I don't miss the better road handling of the GS enough to go back to one....I dislike the later hybrid models which are too firmly sprung to offer a decent enough ride quality.  The RX having longer travel suspension may have slightly coarser road manners but is still the more comfortable ride than the newer GS.  At least the F-Sport we run is.  Whatever people buy in RX trim, they're unlikely to be disappointed but it does take a longer term ownership to really appreciate them.  If you jump in and do a direct comparison with your own car when looking to change it, you may judge the RX prematurely by comparisons of ride or handling alone.  Longer term you'll come to appreciate its practicality, the effortless pulling power (even if that engine does rev loudly when on CVT howl to maintain peak torque)  comfort, longer term reliability and satisfaction of ownership.

Interestingly, I have a 2007 GS300 V6 (70K miles) and love it, but as you say £500+ R.F.L. I have for a while been contemplating an RX450H (2012-2015) Luxury or Advance with sun roof (not keen on the pan roof). Premier would be nice but concerned about the air suspension although apparently not an issue for the age range I'm considering. Everyone on here who owns an RX450H seems to love them and I've not heard anyone else (I don't think) mentioning the howl of the CVT. Are you comparing build quality/luxury of the 2007 GS300 to a 3 series or 4 series RX? Thanks.

Yes, I love mine too.  Not sure what  Paul means by "CVT howl" ?  Could be a typo, as my CVT is noiseless.  The characteristics of the transmission does mean that the engine revs hard when a brisk response is requested, also applies to steep uphill travel too.  In particular the uphill revs, I don't feel that I'd have to rev so hard if I was in control with a manual gearbox.  Had my RX nearly 2 years and I don't really notice these things much now.  Just got used to it I suppose.  There's no quieter motor when just wafting.  How often do you boot it or climb a steep hill ?

Hi Steve

I just meant the engine howl when revved (CVT howl was badly worded perhaps), as with all Lexus CVTs hanging onto high revs rather than building up as with a regular auto box.  I don't mind it that much now I'm used to it as I like to hear that V6 motor anyway.  I live in the Cotswolds and to get anywhere from here, I have to climb a steep hill (unless going South-West down onto the Severn plain) which means from  cold, the engine has to work hard, so the car climbs steep hills almost daily.  I like to make progress too so rather than sit behind slow moving traffic, where conditions allow and it's safe to do so, I'll overtake to make progress.  Have to admit though, the RX isn't as swift when overtaking as my older GS300.  That was surprisingly sprightly when put into kick-down for overtakes.

13 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

I think what you pay used depends entirely on demand at the time of looking and what's available.  I was tempted earlier in the year to chop my 2015 RX F-Sport in for the newer "L" model as I wanted the extra space..........................

Really interesting comments in your post.

Until now I haven't been considering the Sport model as strongly in my quest for an RX, wondering whether its firmer suspension would be slightly at odds with the general RX driving experience. However you seem very happy with it.

I mainly drive on rural East Anglian A- and B-roads, which can be a bit lumpy. With lots of miles behind me in the likes of Avensis and Camry I'm not used to nor looking for the ultimate in roadholding, but it would be interesting to know whether the Sport offers a good compromise between ride and handling (within the limits of a big, tall car).

There are several examples out there at present available with good spec and in may favoured colours at a decent price, I think I need to get some viewings organised.

10 hours ago, JeffL said:

Interestingly, I have a 2007 GS300 V6 (70K miles) and love it, but as you say £500+ R.F.L. I have for a while been contemplating an RX450H (2012-2015) Luxury or Advance with sun roof (not keen on the pan roof). Premier would be nice but concerned about the air suspension although apparently not an issue for the age range I'm considering. Everyone on here who owns an RX450H seems to love them and I've not heard anyone else (I don't think) mentioning the howl of the CVT. Are you comparing build quality/luxury of the 2007 GS300 to a 3 series or 4 series RX? Thanks.

I'd recommend the F-Sport over the Premier or the Advance Jeff.  Ride quality is better than the Advance (I test drove both before buying and not nearly as much body roll thanks to the F-Sport's lateral dampers) and simpler than the Premier (less to go wrong) whilst retaining almost similar levels of kit.  You ought realy to arrange a test drive in each though as it can just be a personal preference.  F-Sport is a bit lighter than the premier too so feels a little more sprightly under throttle.  If buying used, best to look for one up-spec'd with things like HUD and LED lighting (a must which I couldn't do without now!). The Premier is quieter in the cabin (more sound deadening?) and has a better ride quality but those compressors can go wrong and at £2k a shot, not cheap to replace, nor are the air struts.  From everything I've read, at 10 to 15 years old, some can need attention, although there are still older LS400's wafting about on their original air suspension with star-ship miles on them!  Like all things, you could be unlucky but as long as you buy with a decent extended warranty, you ought to have peace of mind.

You have the same GS as my old one and it remains to this day the best car I've owned in over 30 years of motoring. I was comparing build quality to both the Mk3 and 4 BUT Mk4 interiors markedly better than the Mk3 imho. Seats in Mk3 are softer but I like that anyway.  I'm not suggesting for a second that build quality in any of them is below par, as that's not the case but being lucky enough to have experienced them all first hand, I was most impressed with the interior of the Mk4.  GS is a little more dated than the Mk3 but in a timeless fashion as with such quality interiors they always remain a nice place to be.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Really interesting comments in your post.

Until now I haven't been considering the Sport model as strongly in my quest for an RX, wondering whether its firmer suspension would be slightly at odds with the general RX driving experience. However you seem very happy with it.

I mainly drive on rural East Anglian A- and B-roads, which can be a bit lumpy. With lots of miles behind me in the likes of Avensis and Camry I'm not used to nor looking for the ultimate in roadholding, but it would be interesting to know whether the Sport offers a good compromise between ride and handling (within the limits of a big, tall car).

There are several examples out there at present available with good spec and in may favoured colours at a decent price, I think I need to get some viewings organised.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the F-Sport Nigel.  The "Sport" badge is a misnomer anyway (mostly a styling exercise) as the spring rate is only slightly up on the standard model and the main difference is that the F-sport offers lateral as well as conventional dampers to control body-roll better.  I found that low speed bumps were more noticeable than at higher speed both in the standard model as well as the F-Sport, the major difference being much better composure retained with the latter where as the with the standard one you noticed the pitch and roll was more pronounced.  I liked the styling of the F-Sport in Mk3 guise too, so the decision was an easy one for me. It can't compete for road manners and compliance of ride with older GS300 models in any trim, including Premier, but few cars can.

• Like 1

I fully intended to change my 2015 GS for an  NX but 10 miles into a test drive in a luxury spec car the ride and my aching back decided otherwise. I drove the RX with some trepidation expecting a repeat performance. Wow what a pleasant surprise the test drive was. It is the most comfortable car ive ever owned apart from a 1990 Mercedes 300ce.

• Like 1

Same impressions I had trying NX and comparing with my GS 300h Premier, and same final choice when I changed with a RX 450h , mainly to have more space and a V6 🙂

I actually had a New NX back in 2014 when they first came out hardly ever saw another one on the road back then, we changed to the RX after a year because we wanted more power and space and never regretted it as the RX is a brilliant car and suits our needs.

I tried the GS450h (new shape), NX and RX.  The GS and NX (seats) were both spine bashingly uncomfortable after just 10 miles into a test ride...way too firmly sprung for my liking, but I do suffer from spinal injuries so am particularly sensitive to anything with a hard ride.  The RX is much closer to my older GS300....not as compliant or controlled perhaps, but close and the seats are more supportive on the sides.  I've sat in it for some very long journeys and it's all day comfortable.  You'll struggle to find anything in today's market as sumptuous as 3RX seating other than older LS and GS cars.  (ok, Volvo 's pre-2015 S60 and V70 are exceptions!).

51 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

I tried the GS450h (new shape), NX and RX.  The GS and NX (seats) were both spine bashingly uncomfortable after just 10 miles into a test ride...way too firmly sprung for my liking, but I do suffer from spinal injuries so am particularly sensitive to anything with a hard ride.  The RX is much closer to my older GS300....not as compliant or controlled perhaps, but close and the seats are more supportive on the sides.  I've sat in it for some very long journeys and it's all day comfortable.  You'll struggle to find anything in today's market as sumptuous as 3RX seating other than older LS and GS cars.  (ok, Volvo 's pre-2015 S60 and V70 are exceptions!).170

170 miles today confirms that the seats are wonderful. 😊

5 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

170 miles today confirms that the seats are wonderful. 😊

I sometimes wish that I could take mine out of the car and into the sitting room....now there's a thought!.......

• Like 1

As reported in my own topic, I have now taken the plunge and bought a 2014 Advance with 31k. Even after a bit of smoke and mirrors on the part-ex value of my current car, price was significantly under £25k.

What isn't immediately apparent from online ad's is the current availability of 3.9% APR finance at main dealers. I believe this is nationwide and is on offer during January. As it did for me, it could make owning one that bit more achievable and/or allow a higher value model to be purchased.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

As reported in my own topic, I have now taken the plunge and bought a 2014 Advance with 31k. Even after a bit of smoke and mirrors on the part-ex value of my current car, price was significantly under £25k.

What isn't immediately apparent from online ad's is the current availability of 3.9% APR finance at main dealers. I believe this is nationwide and is on offer during January. As it did for me, it could make owning one that bit more achievable and/or allow a higher value model to be purchased.

I am sure you will enjoy it a lot 👍

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, Iwantanrx450h said:

Hello. I’ve been a silent member of this forum for over a year; I’ve read every thread and tried to take in all the excellent advice, and I’m ready to make my purchase. My budget £20k for a facelift RX450h, but can stretch a little bit for the right car. I drove a couple of examples in October but didn’t quite find the right one, and having noticed the price rises in the last few months I decided to wait a little for price to return to normal; the Derby car then came up just over my budget but younger and lower miles than I was aiming for so I went for it.

I was taking a long weekend in Somerset so I cut the break short and drove up to Derby this morning to test drive (and hopefully buy) the 2014 advance. There was a fantastic greeting by the team in Derby, the car interior was immaculate (clearly careful owners) and drove perfectly (having been through Lexus workshop already). The bodywork was in a bit of a state but they had told me about this on the phone when I made the appointment (near side rear door has been painted a slightly darker shade than the rest, front bumper is lighter than the rest of the bodywork, there were a few scrapes / scuffs / small dents, and plenty of evidence of poor quality repair work (overspray/rough surface finish) on the rear bumper and off side front wing. But the salesman agreed to have all the bodywork sorted out before purchase (I guess painting more than half the car!) and I was happy with this).

We sat down to do the deal but it all fell apart when the salesman wanted £3,301 more than the car was advertised at. I showed him the dealership website advert (£20,859) and matching Autotrader advert. He went off and came back with the dealership Principal, both looking very embarrassed and explained there was a mistake on the website, but that they actually wanted £24,191 for the car and they would not honour the price the car was advertised at. So I left feeling incredibly disappointed and like I had wasted my day.

Ah well, I’ll keep looking. On a positive note I learned that, given the choice, I’d avoid the panoramic roof since it limited headroom for me (not a deal breaker though).

I'm sure the website price will be fixed by tomorrow, and it should make a nice car (after the bodywork has been sorted) for someone who has the £24k budget

Derby still have this car for sale, it's now down to £22,994.

Cambridge have been reducing the price of their white Premier and Bradford have knocked a couple of hundred off a smart silver F-Sport they've had for over a month now.

Bit of a shame about that last one, it ticked a lot of my boxes and if the salesman had indicated there was a bit of room for negotiation then I'd have gone to see it, but he was adamant they price their cars competitively and didn't need to do that sort of thing.....

Other cars appear on AutoTrader and then go very quickly, so I guess there's a still a good market out there. For whatever reason the odd one hangs around for a bit.

In an ideal world I wouldn't still be looking at adverts, but due to being in a situation where I'm looking at exchanging what I bought last month I need to know what's available out there.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links