Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. I'm looking to replace all the drop links in my 1998 ls400. OEM parts are not cheap and I'd be looking at a couple of hundred for all 4.

I have seen aftermarket parts on eBay etc for a lot less but is it a waste of money or worse potentially dangerous to buy cheap aftermarket parts on such a heavy car? 

I'm going OEM on all other suspension components but I'd like to save where I can still. 

Many thanks. Matt

I agree with cruisermark.

I bought some lower ball joints from RockAuto in the US. I don’t get the cheapest: they’re Beck &Arnley. You need to factor in VAT and tax plus fee. I try and fit OE but some parts are excessively expensive.

Hi, 

Most of polish drivers are on 3rd party suspension parts 🙂 yes they won’t last so long but are way cheaper. 

My recomendation is- if labour for change is cheap you can go with not oem but when labour is more than the part better stick with oem.

for drop down links I would risk 3rd party. Just buy good ones. I can fully recommend parts from 555. It is Japanese company not the cheapest but really good.

they should cost around £20 per corner.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:56 PM, Hangie said:

for drop down links I would risk 3rd party. Just buy good ones. I can fully recommend parts from 555. It is Japanese company not the cheapest but really good.

they should cost around £20 per corner.

I bought a pair of 555 on eBay but they had to be sent to me from Australia. Cost a lot more than £20 from memory. They are good but I only needed to replace one at the time.  Could try t'bay.au to see if any for sale. May be lucky?

You can easily buy them in Europe - check countries where such parts are more common - like Poland.

https://allegro.pl/oferta/lexus-ls400-94-00-lacznik-stabilizatora-przod-p-7405010166 - Front right

https://allegro.pl/lexus-ls400-94-00-lacznik-stabilizatora-przod-l-i7405007272.html - Front left

https://allegro.pl/lexus-ls400-89-94-lacznik-stabilizatora-tyl-japan-i7406201319.html - Rear

Because of current weakness of pound they are around £22 each. Shipping normally is in £20 area for DPD 4 day service (up to 20kg). No VAT or duty to pay - at least till March next year 😉

For whole set you should pay just over £100 delivered, and those are one of the best replacement ones, not so far from OEM ones.

Cheap ones are starting at 5£ front and £4 rear ones - https://allegro.pl/lacznik-stabilizatora-lexus-ls400-1994-2000-przod-i7344378715.html 🙂

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll check out the links and let you know what I go for. I'm aiming to refresh the entire suspension over this year as it's all pretty worn and sloppy. 

13 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

I'm aiming to refresh the entire suspension over this year as it's all pretty worn and sloppy. 

What's your likely budget for this ?

Malc

Not sure to be honest but probably looking at over a grand in parts ( not doing shocks and springs yet as they seem ok). I'll be doing most of the work myself then get a proper alignment done of course. I'm going OEM on all the arms and strut rods etc.  Everyone says how well these cars ride but mines not great. On a smooth piece of motorway it's great but very rough over anything less than perfect tarmac. 

The steering feels vague and imprecise especially at motorway speeds and I also get some vibration then as well and also when lifting off the gas at speed. so that's my first area to do. 

I'm getting uneven wear on the outside of my left front wheel as well after several alignments.  Cars done 144k miles. 

13 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Not sure to be honest but probably looking at over a grand in parts (

I think you're about right there.

Recently replaced rear UCAs from Amayama ( and one other ) and front UCAs too ( not yet delivered to the UK ) and two front aftermarket drop links ........  with the Customs duty and fees etc that's not far off a grand in total

Good luck with it all

Malc