Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If the belt is removed, it will start. But don't run it for more than a few seconds or drive it - there'll be no water pump and it will very quickly overheat and do lots of damage. With the belt off, you can find out which of the pulleys (or the units they drive) has seized.

Other thing is I did hear sound of belt screeching when the car died.

Car cranks slow. Battery was replaced this year.

So not sure what it is. No garage is open today and car will sit till monday.

RAC was not convinced about belt or any thing related.

I will see tomorrow morning myself what it is. So need some brain storming here.

Is it correct to say there is only one belt and I can remove it completely for test? I replaced it myself last time but cannot remember how I did it.

Once belt is removed, how can I check for failed water pump or failed alternator or failed compressor?

Contaminated fuel... how can I check for that.

Any chance it is spark plugs?

Pretty crap feeling today as a tank broke down. 

The RAC are wrong. It's a belt driven unit.
Turn the tensioner with a spanner and lock it with a 5mm drill or similar. Slip the belt off.
Now try and turn each pulley by hand. One will be hard or impossible to turn.

Viola!

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

After checking condition of belt and getting it out of the way check for any siezed pulleys or any foreign object that may have 'jammed' belt/pulley system. As above engine should start ( but don't run for long) without belt but you will have no auxiliaries.

here's hoping it something as simple as a trashed belt and no major damage done!

paul m.

• Like 1

Try - you should be able to you. But I think it likely that is what will have seized. Try the other pulleys, too. All but the crankshaft should be turnable.

I wonder why it took a long crank to start. Could it be that the Battery was low - possible question over the alternator?

• Like 1

I cannot move the compressor pulley by hand. Expect compressor pulley and crank, i can move all the rest.

I will post a video in few minutes to show how it cranks with belt on. When I do so I could smell rubber burning.

Rubber 'burning' is prob the belt getting pulled over the static AC pulley, sapping the power from the starter motor on start up.

From memory because of the route of the belt I don't think it is possible to fit a shorter belt and 'bypass' the AC pulley to keep the vehicle on the road without functioning AC.

paul m

It has been discussed before on this forum ( can't find it right now) also there is a line drawing of the pulley layout and belt run, can't find that either!!!

paul m.

Ok I checked the AC. Toggled it few times. Then set it to off. Cars started.

Then I turned on AC and car stalled.

Now question is, can I drive the car without AC ? I.e. any risk of it getting seized?

Question? Did/do you normally leave the AC on all the time, or just turn it on when required? There is a concensus that leaving it on all the time may actually prolong it MTBF. Think fridge/freezer these can go for years without needing attention. But It may not last as long if shut down on a regular basis.

paul m.

Kept it on all the time as I read it here. I think Lexus compressor might have 10 year life ?

Last year took it to lexus to have a look. They charged 60 pounds for 'ac service'.

One thing might be worth checking is if there is any oil left.