Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adaptive Cruise control.

Stompe

Yes. It comes with various models and is part of the safety system plus package. 2018 model years include it as standard on the se plus, luxury, fsport and premier levels. On the CT it disengages about 30 mph.

My 2014 Advance didn’t have it but my 2018 f sport does. I think it’s great and suits my commute where the speeds on a dual carriageway do vary a bit. I found the Subaru system to be better (has 2 cameras rather than Lexus camera + radar) as it seemed to be smoother where as the Lexus system can be a bit slow to speed up when the car in front moves over and can have a bit of a panic on bends but overall it’s pretty good and saves constantly having to make adjustment if the traffic is heavier. 

• Like 1

i have found when travelling on the M53 there is a sweeping right hand bend

if there is  car in front of you in the left hand lane and they have started to go round the bend

the radar sees the car and slows you down quiet quickly and then slowly accelerates

back up to speed, the other safety system that doesn't work well is the road sign recognition

i've had it report 70mph in a 30mph and quiet often it misses speed limit signs.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 200h said:

i have found when travelling on the M53 there is a sweeping right hand bend

if there is  car in front of you in the left hand lane and they have started to go round the bend

the radar sees the car and slows you down quiet quickly and then slowly accelerates

back up to speed, the other safety system that doesn't work well is the road sign recognition

i've had it report 70mph in a 30mph and quiet often it misses speed limit signs.

Yeah the traffic sign recognition is hopeless. I sometimes get it telling me the limit is 120!

• Thanks 1

Sometimes I love it others I hate it. On a straight road it is very good for keeping your distance from the car in front but as already stated on a corner it can be a pain. Or if someone turns down a road across you.. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zotto said:

It's only because you insist to use it out of working specs. I also do it but I well know I have to press right foot as soon it disengages.

i wouldnt say its been used outside of working specs ,what i would say is everything is black or white...yes or no to a computer

and when going round a corner it cant tell if the reflected signal is from a vehicle in the same lane or the lane next to you,

when it first happens it can take you by surprise one minute your doing 70 the next your doing 60 i dont surpose its a good

feeling for the driver behind you when the lane in front is clear but your car brakes firmly for no apparent reason .

• Like 2

Just picked up our CT200 F-Sport and tried the adaptive cruise on the way home, generally a good thing but as others have mentioned, people changing lanes in front of you etc will take a bit of getting used to. 

• Thanks 1

Yes even on the 'shortest' setting people will pull in front of you sending you backwards! But still good on a long run but obs keep you wits about you has you know it has its failings, heavy rain, corners, etc. That said I try to use it as much as poss.

Paul m

• Like 1

I usually opt for the middle setting. Only a few idiots cut me up at that and it is far enough back to avoid stone chipping from stuff kicked up by the vehicle in front. I go with the longest setting if it is really wet. 

• Like 2

I like adaptive cruise and have used it a lot on M-Way and A roads. but I have come across a problem with it. Where do you put your right foot? if you leave it flat on the floor you are away from the brake and accelerator if you need to restore manual control. It is only a little way but it could be an essential split second. The alternative is to keep your right heel on the floor and your foot sort of hovering in position near the pedals ready for action which soon becomes uncomfortable. This problem isn't so bad with light traffic but in heavy traffic where the control is quite active I find it a bit more worrisome. Maybe it is just me being ultra sensitive about leaving control of the car to the unseen hand or foot!:smile:

Another point is that we might assume the adaptive cruise gives better fuel economy but I am not convinced this is the case. In adaptive cruise there are constant small adjustments and readjustments to settings that are simply not made by the driver in manual mode. The economy is therefore good but I find I can do better without the cruise control on.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 4:53 PM, 200h said:

my IS300h F sport is 18mths old on a 17 plate

tbh i prefer the cruise control i had on my last Is300h (63 plate)

over my new car

Did you know if you press and hold the cruise button in for a few secs, it will revert to normal cruise control (not speed adaptive).......

1 hour ago, Steve44 said:

Did you know if you press and hold the cruise button in for a few secs, it will revert to normal cruise control (not speed adaptive).......

Yes...but don't forget you are now Not going to slow down if you come up behind a slower vehicle. Don't ask me how I know this!! But it was a close call!!! So ACC all the time for me now.

paul m

• Like 1

About ACC and fuel economy, because of its adaptive feature, ti depends by the driving style of  vehicle before, if it has a "nervous" driving this will affect negatively economy "copying" speed changes, while usually a constant speed wit CC helps to spare fuel.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 7:59 AM, Steve44 said:

Top tip - never knew that. Very useful