Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H New owner - Key and brakes

I have purchased an 2006 RX400h and I enjoyed the 150 mile drive home, a little thirsty compared to the wife's 1 series but all round enjoyable drive.

The previous owner only had one key, which unfortunately was in a third party fob. I need to change the Battery in it asap but I would like to get 2 official keys sorted out. Any advice on the best (and cheapest) reliable place to buy these?

Also the brakes disks are a bit shafted so I am wanting to get these sorted. What sort of price should I be looking at for replacing all 4 corners? I have found the parts online and disks seem reasonably cheap as do the pads but I am assuming the whole disassembly will be the expensive part. I am hoping to use OEM parts if I can.

I realise this isn't an exciting new model like a lot have on here but the community from what I have seen is pretty welcoming. 

23 hours ago, Lozsta said:

Also the brakes disks are a bit shafted so I am wanting to get these sorted. What sort of price should I be looking at for replacing all 4 corners? I have found the parts online and disks seem reasonably cheap as do the pads but I am assuming the whole disassembly will be the expensive part. I am hoping to use OEM parts if I can.

I realise this isn't an exciting new model like a lot have on here but the community from what I have seen is pretty welcoming. 

Congrats on your new purchase.  I also have a 2006 rx400h - mine's an SE-L.  

Labour to fit new pads and discs should be no more difficult or expensive than for any other car.  Brakes are simple technology that hasn't changed for decades and are even a pretty simple DIY job. However problems may arise (and bills may rise) if anything untoward is found.  Unfortunately, when investigating a problem with my brakes, i had one slide pin seized on each caliper at the front (a legacy of poor maintenance by the previous owner).  This necessitated purchase of replacement carriers and pins, though luckily I found some at a scrap yard in good nick.  Others have reported that their seized pins have been drilled out, but this is not necessarily an easy job.  I believe that rear slide pins are more prone to seizure on the rx400h, but mine were fine.  

There's no particular kudos in getting oem brake pads and disks - unless you are getting a very good price on them. Many brands out there perform very well at very good prices.  

Thanks @welland for your response. I will ask my local garage about that then. Luckily mine was services by Lexus up to 99k so the timing belt was done which is nice. I have looked and the non OEM brands are substantially cheaper so will probably use them if the garage allows it.

The  key is still a bugger, I am getting a new Battery as the thing is starting to not unlock unless I press it in a particular way...

Lozsta - if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see an advert for The Auto Locksmith and they cover Hampshire.  Obviously they charge for their service but a heck of a lot less than Lexus though that's for sure!  I've never used them (I live in the Midlands anyway) but might be worth giving them a call to discuss.