Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Renewal Insurance quote - CRAZY!!!

Vlady

16 hours ago, JeffL said:

Have you used Chris Knott previously (or any other broker for that matter). I've not used a broker for many many years since online quotes became available, but definitely worth knowing if there are good brokers out there!

B.T.W. My GS300, 2007, 70K on clock, 7K miles p.a., 2 drivers, pleasure use (no business/commuting). Have been with L.V. for a few years now and always check comparison sites at renewal time and L.V. nearly always one of the cheapest online, so I renew online and ignore the renewal price. Last year L.V. renewal £262, same cover online L.V. £240. This year, just done it, L.V. renewal £291, same cover online L.V. £216. Go figure! Agree, doesn't pay to be loyal. (Although I'm staying with the same company for convenience)

Edit: NCD Protected. No convictions or claims for donkey's years!

Nope, never used Kris Knott, it never came up on through confused or compare the market so I never considered them. What do you mean brokers, how are they different to other providers?

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Nope, never used Kris Knott, it never came up on through confused or compare the market so I never considered them. What do you mean brokers, how are they different to other providers?

They don't come up on comparison websites as they're companies who provide bespoke cover. 

You'll find that Chris Knott will beat most providers by £30-40 as long as you can provide a written quote from your cheapest provider. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vlady said:

Vlad. The question was aimed at rayaan in response to him saying he's recently used Chris Knott Insurance Brokers. Brokers (another name for an agent) still operate as a go-between buyer and supplier (just like a travel agent) it's just that with the increasing use of the internet, I imagine a lot of them have ceased trading. Also bear in mind that comparison sites don't include ALL insurance companies or insurance providers, examples are Direct Line, Aviva and Zurich.  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

• Thanks 1

I paid £250 6 months ago to insure my old IS220d.  This then went up to £500 for my GS (understandable).  I am now moving to a new home roughly 10 minutes away and it looks like it is going to cost me another £350!  So from £250 to £850 in the space of a year.  This one isn't so understandable since I am still moving to a nice area in a cul de sac with off street parking.  Yes, there is probably a difference in the number of accidents but I will mostly be driving exactly the same roads.  It is so frustrating...

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I paid £250 6 months ago to insure my old IS220d.  This then went up to £500 for my GS (understandable).  I am now moving to a new home roughly 10 minutes away and it looks like it is going to cost me another £350!  So from £250 to £850 in the space of a year.  This one isn't so understandable since I am still moving to a nice area in a cul de sac with off street parking.  Yes, there is probably a difference in the number of accidents but I will mostly be driving exactly the same roads.  It is so frustrating...

Shahpor, this increase would drive me mad, this is quite a lot, from £250 to £850!!! On what base?

And who knows if number of accidents are higher, I think insurance just makes stuff up like this!

When I moved within Glasgow, a few years ago, to a quieter area, closer to Primary school, more respectable area my premium went up as well something like by £100, when I asked insurance why the answer was - there was more car theft reported in that area! I am still staying at the same address.

• Like 1

My memory is failing me, a quick internet scan shows that garage parking is typically quoted at a higher price.

Some articles even suggest parking a few streets away and changing your parked address to get a cheaper price. Do folks actually do this?

10 hours ago, Shahpor said:

On drive parking rather than garage and an additional driver can both often lead to a reduction in premiums. Consider an alternative insurer.

39 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

On drive parking rather than garage and an additional driver can both often lead to a reduction in premiums. Consider an alternative insurer.

It doesn't make sense - parking in the garage is more expensive than parking on the street, why if the garage is safer? Do they think you are richer if you have a house with the garage and they take advantage of it?

13 minutes ago, Vlady said:

It doesn't make sense - parking in the garage is more expensive than parking on the street, why if the garage is safer? Do they think you are richer if you have a house with the garage and they take advantage of it?

I think it might be because UK garages are so tiny nowadays your are more likely to damage the car taking it in and out than leaving on the street! 😉

I just cancelled my auto-reneweal with the insurer I've been with for about ten years, as even with the depressingly inevitable "I'm leaving you..." phone call, they couldn't get close to a quote by another well know insurer (who bizarrely, are part of the same group!). I have my house insurance with them as well, and as soon as I included this in the on-line quotation form, another £30 came off. Total saving on auto-renewal was about £94. What a mad system.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vlady said:

It is because the incidence of thefts from garages exceeds the incidence of thefts from drives in certain areas.

• Like 1

As usual, insurance just doesn't make sense. :ranting:

A quick change to garage parking knocked about £50 off, so will consider that.

You want another 'strange' example?  I accidently put the wrong postcode in once, which placed it on the main road 2 street over, and it went down by £250 to £600!  Same area, main road as opposed to cul de sac and a substantial saving?

Someone really needs to sort out this con of an insurance system we have.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Shahpor said:

As usual, insurance just doesn't make sense. :ranting:

A quick change to garage parking knocked about £50 off, so will consider that.

You want another 'strange' example?  I accidently put the wrong postcode in once, which placed it on the main road 2 street over, and it went down by £250 to £600!  Same area, main road as opposed to cul de sac and a substantial saving?

Someone really needs to sort out this con of an insurance system we have.

Uau! £250! That's holidays for you!

5 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If anyone does ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help out.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan,thanks for offering your help! Do you do car insurance as well?

Thanks

Vlad

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for a big major insurer and the reason  insurance go up if you tell them you park on a drive or garage is because they think someone will break into your house for the keys and take your car. Also if your car is red, insurance premium go up and that's because they say it attracts thieves.

I wouldn't bother with Adrian flux, they are not cheap and sometimes they won't bother insuring you. I went with brentacre but another good one is Chris Knott.

• Like 4

Well, you appear to be correct since I have just done another quote, this time parking on the street, and it came out roughly £50 cheaper than on the driveway.

This is frustrating and irrelevant though since I refuse to park my car on the street when I have a perfectly good drive in front of my house!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 7:25 PM, messi said:

I used to work for a big major insurer and the reason  insurance go up if you tell them you park on a drive or garage is because they think someone will break into your house for the keys and take your car. Also if your car is red, insurance premium go up and that's because they say it attracts thieves.

I wouldn't bother with Adrian flux, they are not cheap and sometimes they won't bother insuring you. I went with brentacre but another good one is Chris Knott.

Adrian Flux showed no interest in insuring my car quoting well over £1200. This was near five times the cost of my eventual premium. I was able to get full cover with all the bells and whistles including brake down cover for £260.

John.

Just now, Britprius said:

Adrian Flux showed no interest in insuring my car quoting well over £1200. I was able to get full cover with all the bells and whistles including brake down cover for £260.

John.

I've always been right about Adrian flux, they are just a waste of time, even when your speaking to one of their advisors on the phone it's like they can't wait to get rid of you. All that stuff about "tell them your on the Lexus owners club" doesn't work with them. They just don't want to know.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 10:53 AM, doog442 said:

There are far too many parameters for anyone to draw a meaningful comparison. Age , occupation, post code etc.

I paid £170 fully comp for my 2015 IS last year, however it was part of a multi car policy along with my two daughters and I'm pretty sure the price was offset against a slightly more expensive premium on one of those two, although I can't confirm.

Prior to that I was paying roughly £200 for 3 litre BMW and my cost to change back to new BMW a few months ago has simply been an admin charge, so no increase.

Every year the price increases but I just get another quote online, ring them up and they reduce it back down. 

£170 Insurance for a 2015. IS. is quite incredible! . I am paying 3 X that , and it looks I’m not the only one , how come yours is so cheap .?

On 1/27/2019 at 2:19 PM, Dealkent said:

£170 Insurance for a 2015. IS. is quite incredible! . I am paying 3 X that , and it looks I’m not the only one , how come yours is so cheap .?

I have no idea but as I explained it was part of a multi car policy with my two daughters. I guess its offset against the other policies although to be fair I absolutely scrutinise each quote when it comes to renewal time. I've just updated an online single quote and without being part of a multi car policy its coming in at £200 with £150 excess and protected no claims.

The car has now gone but my current car (a new BMW 340i) is coming in at £100 more when I do a quick online quote although cost to change for 6 months was nothing ?.

I always, without fail call them come renewal time. Its amazing what someone on the phone will do to keep your business.  

13 hours ago, doog442 said:

I have no idea but as I explained it was part of a multi car policy with my two daughters. I guess its offset against the other policies although to be fair I absolutely scrutinise each quote when it comes to renewal time. I've just updated an online single quote and without being part of a multi car policy its coming in at £200 with £150 excess and protected no claims.

The car has now gone but my current car (a new BMW 340i) is coming in at £100 more when I do a quick online quote although cost to change for 6 months was nothing ?.

I always, without fail call them come renewal time. Its amazing what someone on the phone will do to keep your business.  

Never worked with me calling to my insurer, they never can meet the online price, hell, they couldn't even meet what's online while I am on a phone suggesting that I should use internet to buy!

Never experienced any loyalty or the wish to keep the business.

Your prices are so cheap, unbelievable!