Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need help with IS 250 battery

Hi all,

My father-in-law passed away on Friday night and his '09 IS250, not driven for 3-4 months, is currently immovable in the garage.  I've tried to get some charge in the Battery by using a Halfords charger and a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger but am having no luck.  The latter simply doesn't start to charge at all and the Halfords charger sets off the alarm (car horn) and all the instruments on the dashboard constantly flicker on and off (a clicking sound can also be heard). 

From doing a brief search on the internet, it appears that the symptoms listed above are synonymous with a failed alternator but the car, when last used, was working fine.  Can anyone help diagnose or test what is wrong?

Thanks,
B

Hi Bernie , you should disconnect the Battery leads from the car then charge the Battery , if the car has stood for a long time with the Battery flat it will need a minimum of a 12 hour trickle charge, then connect to the car again and try it , if you have no luck then I would say you probably need a new Battery.

Allan

1 hour ago, Berneslai said:

Hi all,

My father-in-law passed away on Friday night and his '09 IS250, not driven for 3-4 months, is currently immovable in the garage.  I've tried to get some charge in the battery by using a Halfords charger and a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger but am having no luck.  The latter simply doesn't start to charge at all and the Halfords charger sets off the alarm (car horn) and all the instruments on the dashboard constantly flicker on and off (a clicking sound can also be heard). 

From doing a brief search on the internet, it appears that the symptoms listed above are synonymous with a failed alternator but the car, when last used, was working fine.  Can anyone help diagnose or test what is wrong?

Thanks,
B

Hi Bernie. My condolences, and welcome to LOC.
Disconnect the negative Battery terminal of the car then charge the Battery with the Halfords charger for 24 hours. Then reconnect the Battery. If the Battery is any good "it may not recover from being left discharged for a long period" the car should now start. If it does not turn over enough to start the car a new Battery will be required.

The CTEK charger only works if there is a reasonable charge level in the Battery to begin with..

John. 

+1 on above info, isolate Battery from car and charge slowly for as long as poss, 

As the car is an 09 it may be that the Battery is the original factory fit Battery and at the end of its life. 

If it has stickers like below on the top then it is original and 9 years old! The 140707 is the date stamp, my old Battery being 'released' 14 July 2007.

A new Battery is gonna be about £85-95 but charge yours initially as you got nothing to loose!

Paul m.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Is the key fob operating correctly? Lock and unlock with the buttons, or lock with the button on the door handle and unlock by touching the back of the door handle?

Hold the key fob against the start switch and operate the starter button.

Try changing the Battery in the key fob - it's a 2032.

Are you sure the car Battery is connected the correct way round?

Hmm..it must be immobilised and the key fob de-immoblises it. Ergo, the key fob is probably not working. Is there a spare fob?

It's easy to change the fob Battery - remove the mechanical key, then use the tip of that to prise open the fob - there's a little cut out in the corner where the key goes to insert the tip of the key.