Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

03 IS300 MOT fail

Leozack

Hey all - just got the 2nd ever MOT fail.  This time it was the same sill rust, only offside instead of drive side.  Combined with the exhaust back section corroding and coming off (sounds bloody nice now though) and an O2 sensor needing replacing.  The local maindealer have it and I have a courtesy CT200 right now.
The prices to fix it were nice n high as expected :
"For the repair of the rear exhaust silencer corroded and detached from exhaust system the cost will be £682.42 all in.
For the repair of the o2 sensor the cost will be £379.70, as previously said this is the first step of the repair, you may not experience any more issues with the light coming back on but it’s not guaranteed.
Also the hour labour for the investigation which is £162.00
For the welding for just the mot failure all in is £330.00 or for the welding for the mot failure and the cleaning up of the previous repair would be £462.00"
So yeah that's a lot.  I looked up exhaust back sections and they seem to be about £80?  I don't want a super cheap thing that'll break in 13m but £682 for the lexus one fitted is just way too much and I need to reel this damn bill in.
For the O2 sensor I don't think I can get it cheap but lexus themself (and another garage) quoted about £290 to get it done in July and now they want £380?  Wtf
The fact they MOTd it as a fail BEFORE fixing these issues which I told them about beforehand has ****** me off because I don't want to have to pay for another MOT AFTER they're fixed.
Also they said my modification to add brakelights in the foglights failed the MOT due to light interference or some crap about not seeing 1 if the other way on, despite this being the same for 8y and MOT'ing fine even by them!  So they helpfully "fixed it" by removing my mod wiring apparently whatever that means and making it "normal and legal" again  -_-
All thoughts welcome as in the morning I should really tell them what I do/don't want them to fix so they can get their car back but then I'm stuck with my MOT fail car and no parts or fitters for anything I don't get them to do.  And of course it's Christmas  😧

For comparison I just got a quote back from Bond Motors locally near Bristol that was recommended on this forum in previous years, and they will do the b1s2 sensor and back exhaust fitted for £440 which is a damn sight less than Lexus genuine parts/labour for over £1000!

The welding I don't have any bodyshop experience/contacts so I'll go with the ones they've quoted at £462 cos on it's own if it's the only welding that needs doing and if it'll look as good as new (or good enough to roll out the lexus garage with their warranty/reputation) then it's worth it to get it done and also redo the other side to match in finish quality.

Well main dealers certainly know how to charge as that's a BIG bill. Only worth it IMO if you value a folder full of Lexus receipts to go with your full service history, (if you have that).  I wonder if the main dealer will farm out the welding anyway?  but how about asking the independent you went to as I bet they could recommend a body shop. That said I agree £462 doesn't sound that bad (depending on what they actually are doing).

Good luck.

Most places will retest for free regardless of who does any work, as long as its within X days.  In this case they've messed up getting stuff done and did the MOT before the work I asked them to do - so now I won't even get my car back til after Christmas but whatever I'm driving their CT200 around in the meantime  😐

• 1 month later...

You need yellow pages for your area to get that welding done, rolling into a dealership for work like this you might as well have 'MUG' tattooed on your forehead, I'd be buying that 80 quid backbox section and scouring eBay for a 02 sensor. I bought this car for less than your dealer bill.