Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12 volt battery replacement

Exide make a range of AGM batteries to fit Toyota/Lexus vehicles with the correct small JAP terminal posts where required. They are sold as Exide Edge batteries.

Mobilty scooter batteries are also made in suitable physical sizes often with higher amp hour capacities the only downside being the terminals being bolt on rather than clamp type posts.These batteries are AGM that are very ruggedly built, and able to withstand deep discharge, and charge on a daily basis. Designed for indoor, and outdoor use are about as safe, and reliable a Battery available. 

John.

58 minutes ago, Gliderpilot said:

The 450h in in the cabin under the back seat I think so I would not fit a lead acid battery that can leak.

It's in the boot under the boot floor on the left side in my 2013 RX450h Advance. I didn't notice the type (chemistry) currently fitted last time I was in there but will make a point of doing so.

Had a few Mercedes E Class over many years. Battery was under the rear seat. Used to be the old type with filler caps. The last one I installed I opted for the sealed one. There was, however, a small plastic hose for release of any charge gases going down though the floor.

I think it's ridiculous for Lexus to be charging these sums, specially for batteries which aren't required to do any real work (like cranking).

I can understand spending loads on a Battery which is hard to get to for maintenance (eg Merc R Class where the driver's seat needs to be taken out to get to it).  In such cases you use something which will last 10 years and never need any maintenance.

I can't imagine a normal Battery giving any problem installed in the boot area.  Probably bigger issues to worry about in a rollover than the acid in the Battery.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, BachelorDays said:

Had a few Mercedes E Class over many years. Battery was under the rear seat. Used to be the old type with filler caps. The last one I installed I opted for the sealed one. There was, however, a small plastic hose for release of any charge gases going down though the floor.

I had a 210 e class estate. I REALLY loved that car before tin worm got the better of it.

Great cars the 210s. Real pity about them ageing so badly.  Bullet proof transmission but a compromise with a £10 plastic seal blows it. A low quality plastic widget makes the windows fall into the door sleeves. Rust gets the body and suspension.  I could go on.  And MB still going south.

I got my last Battery off eBay. Had it for 3 years when I sold the car.  100AH for around £70. 

On 12/20/2018 at 7:36 PM, BachelorDays said:

Great cars the 210s. Real pity about them ageing so badly.  Bullet proof transmission but a compromise with a £10 plastic seal blows it. A low quality plastic widget makes the windows fall into the door sleeves. Rust gets the body and suspension.  I could go on.  And MB still going south.

I got my last battery off ebay. Had it for 3 years when I sold the car.  100AH for around £70. 

Yes, I remember the plastic component in the rear window regulators.  I replaced two of them!

Don't remember the issue with the seal in the transmission,  though.  I had the 2.8 v6 with tiptronic auto.  The engine and gearbox were great - never had any problems.   

• 1 month later...

Hi

I also started a post about a new 12v Battery for my RX 450h 2010 model....https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/118405-replacement-12v-battery-for-rx450h/?tab=comments#comment-1078909

To date it is £197 for a replacement, or £146 + shipping from Japan, is the cheapest OEM Battery I have come across. Although on an Americian Lexus forum some people have fitted cheaper batteries

( FYI....Cross Tyres & Auto".  They're in Crosshands about 60 miles from Cardiff did not get back to me and I contacted them twice.... they fitted Steves Battery for £70.)

1 hour ago, Lozsta said:

@Gliderpilot can you confirm what your battery is in the 400h please.

It's a Bosch S4 021 45 Ah. Got mine off eBay, there are plenty for sale there for around £60 to £70. This Battery does not have a foot on the bottom so will fit directly into the housing base.

s-l500.jpg

31 minutes ago, Gliderpilot said:

It's a Bosch S4 021 45 Ah. Got mine off eBay, there are plenty for sale there for around £60 to £70. This battery does not have a foot on the bottom so will fit directly into the housing base.

s-l500.jpg

Thanks that has confirmed what I thought, I was going to go for Varta but I believe these are their batteries with a new badge. 

Just as a footnote, the correct Battery is not the normal 12v Battery.  It's a deep cycle Battery so needs to be replaced with the same specification replacement. 

This isn't the same thing as a typical automotive cranking Battery which doesn't use much of it's charge when providing short, high current bursts to the starter motor circuit.  Deep cycle batteries are designed for regular and prolonged full discharge and recharging...normal batteries are not so wouldn't last long in the RX450h if used for this purpose.

Deep cycle batteries are more expensive than automotive cranking batteries. 

Here's a link I posted on another thread to a suitable replacement example:

Suitable Battery replacement for RX450h

This isn't sold as a sealed Battery though I think it might be.  I have a feeling that my last one was a sealed L/A version.

For and AGM alternative there is this which is still £100 cheaper than Lexus prices and will last longer than the lead acid equivalent:

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/12v-110ah-agm-deep-cycle-batt-bat412101084.html

21 hours ago, Lozsta said:

@Gliderpilot sorry to bother you again, I am wondering do you think that battery would be the right one for the 2006 model, I am guessing it would be.

My guess would be yes as I don't think the Battery position has changed since the 400h was first made. Just looked on the Halfords site and they quote the same Battery for the 2005 to 2009 model years but you could confirm this with Lexus.

• 10 months later...

Just chipping in on this as I have just replaced my 12V Battery on a 2010 RX450h ... the original Battery (dated April 2010 so probably with the car from new) was a D23 wet lead acid Battery, a Panasonic Battery with Toyota stamped on it, pretty bog standard, not deep cycle. The ones identified above by GSLV6 are too big to sit on the undertray so mayby there are some suble changes in the Battery area between 2010 and 2014. I went for a slightly larger size than the D23 and purchased a Bosch S4 Car Battery 005 for £87 from ECP. It fits like a glove in the Battery undertray and gives some additional capacity plus a 4 year warranty. Easy enough to fit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...