Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why shouldn't I buy an Rx400h ?

44 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

A Solar Powered trickle charger keeps my GS450h topped up when I am away for up to 12 weeks.

Well we rarely leave any car for more than a week, so that's helpful, thanks. We trickle via outdoor power points.

12 weeks is impressive. I did look at solar chargers a few years ago, but couldn't find any that seemed suitable. What's your like?

1 hour ago, IanA2 said:

As I said  a few posts above, we're used to having cars on trickle chargers [...] Would that not resolve this issue, or have I missed something?

Ah, I missed that, sorry - yes, that would indeed solve the problem.

1 hour ago, IanA2 said:

Well we rarely leave any car for more than a week, so that's helpful, thanks. We trickle via outdoor power points.

12 weeks is impressive. I did look at solar chargers a few years ago, but couldn't find any that seemed suitable. What's your like?

This is mine.PLUGS INTO OBD11 POINT UNDER STEERING WHEEL.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

That looks really handy. I think i might get one (or two!) Easier than faffing about with tricklers. Thanks.

1 hour ago, IanA2 said:

That looks really handy. I think i might get one (or two!) Easier than faffing about with tricklers. Thanks.

Checked this out a bit more. Really does look good. Mine will arrive Monday! Thanks again.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:59 PM, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Ian.I do know about that, but what I do not know are the associated Terms and Conditions which will apply. You will need to speak to your local Lexus Dealer for the details and I (and others I am sure) would be interested to know what you find out. I smell a catch !!

I have now received a copy of the "Terms and Conditions document" and from what I can read, there is no catch.

If anyone wants a copy, then PM me please and I will send.

I picked up an older model and I would avoid like the plague. I have only done 150 miles in it and now I have a major fault with the hybrid system, no idea of the cost yet as it conked out just before the trip to the in laws for xmas. So much for the much lauded Lexus reliability.

4 minutes ago, Lozsta said:

I picked up an older model and I would avoid like the plague. I have only done 150 miles in it and now I have a major fault with the hybrid system, no idea of the cost yet as it conked out just before the trip to the in laws for xmas. So much for the much lauded Lexus reliability.

With the greatest of respect, that's being a tad unfair.

In your other thread you say it was a private sale so you have no warranty. Did you have any inspection done (say by the RAC/AA) before purchase? Why was the vendor selling it?

As strange and silly as this sounds, try taking off the petrol filler cap and cleaning all around that area including the threads of the cap itself. Unlikely as it may seem, I'm sure that others have had all sorts of problems and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and it was all fixed by cleaning the filler cap and making sure it's fitting properly.

18 hours ago, Herbie said:

With the greatest of respect, that's being a tad unfair.

In your other thread you say it was a private sale so you have no warranty. Did you have any inspection done (say by the RAC/AA) before purchase? Why was the vendor selling it?

As strange and silly as this sounds, try taking off the petrol filler cap and cleaning all around that area including the threads of the cap itself. Unlikely as it may seem, I'm sure that others have had all sorts of problems and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and it was all fixed by cleaning the filler cap and making sure it's fitting properly.

Just responding to OP with my experience. I will try the filler cap trick but I don't hold out any hope for it.

16 minutes ago, Lozsta said:

Just responding to OP with my experience. I will try the filler cap trick but I don't hold out any hope for it.

Do Let us know how you get on...

• Like 1

I tend to agree with the opinion you’re being unfair on the car.

No mechanical device is infallible, and even the newest RX400 is nearly a decade old. By and large Lexus have a well deserved reputation for reliability.

Once you’ve resolved the current issues (which are hopefully something simple) I’m sure you’ll have many years of trouble free motoring.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I tend to agree with the opinion you’re being unfair on the car.

No mechanical device is infallible, and even the newest RX400 is nearly a decade old. By and large Lexus have a well deserved reputation for reliability.

Once you’ve resolved the current issues (which are hopefully something simple) I’m sure you’ll have many years of trouble free motoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, my GS430 from Oct 2000 is sweet as a nut.

So, hope everyone had a peaceful healthy  and enjoyable break and that the NY will bring more of the same.

There's a 57 plate possibility on offer which is a wee bit older than I would have liked. At around 100K its's done about low(ish) average mileage and looks ok.

Am I right in thinking:

1. The 400h is a chain and not a belt?

2. It doesn't have air suspension?

3. A new Battery set up could be had for around a grand?

As ever, thanks all.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:55 PM, Lozsta said:

Any news about this yet?

43 minutes ago, IanA2 said:

So, hope everyone had a peaceful healthy  and enjoyable break and that the NY will bring more of the same.

There's a 57 plate possibility on offer which is a wee bit older than I would have liked. At around 100K its's done about low(ish) average mileage and looks ok.

Am I right in thinking:

1. The 400h is a chain and not a belt?

2. It doesn't have air suspension?

3. A new battery set up could be had for around a grand?

As ever, thanks all.

1. According to this, it's a belt:

RX400hbelt.thumb.png.1c7234ddf7eb65fb8cee86f791bd659c.png

2. None of the 400h variants have air suspension.

3. No idea.

11 minutes ago, Herbie said:

1. According to this, it's a belt:

RX400hbelt.thumb.png.1c7234ddf7eb65fb8cee86f791bd659c.png

2. None of the 400h variants have air suspension.

3. No idea.

1. Thanks, I could have sworn the 3.3 engine was chain. Oh well...

2. Excellent

3. Fingers crossed it's just a grand. I'd feel more secure buying an older car if it was. RX350's are like hens' teeth

No problem Ian, glad to help if I can.

It's possible to replace cell blocks as and when necessary rather than a whole Battery at once, but I suppose there will come a time when age just takes its toll.

• Like 1

Ian - it's definitely got a belt, no air suspension and £750 for a hybrid Battery in the unlikely event that you need one.  Mine is a very early 2007 with 128k on it and the Battery is fine.

The cambelt service interval is 100k so check that it has been done along with the tensioner and waterpump and if it has then happy days as it won't need doing again for 10 years with your mileage.  If it hasn't been done then you could use that to negotiate the price down.  I've got no idea how much it costs but it won't be cheap because it's a V6.

5 minutes ago, Rutlandlex said:

Ian - it's definitely got a belt, no air suspension and £750 for a hybrid battery in the unlikely event that you need one.  Mine is a very early 2007 with 128k on it and the battery is fine.

The cambelt service interval is 100k so check that it has been done along with the tensioner and waterpump and if it has then happy days as it won't need doing again for 10 years with your mileage.  If it hasn't been done then you could use that to negotiate the price down.  I've got no idea how much it costs but it won't be cheap because it's a V6.

Aye, I had it all done in my 430, so I’ve an idea of the cost. The one I have in mind is due, or should just have had the belt and pump done, so if it hasn’t I will be factoring that in.

Good to know the Battery is sound at 128K.

2 hours ago, Odysseus said:

Lazy of me to ask here without checking, but what is the approximate cost for a cam belt and water pump change at the 100K mile mark?

The belt, tensioner/idler, water pump, 10L of Toyota Super Long Life Pink coolant and labour came to about £460 inc. VAT on my RX300 at my local trusted indy garage.

Be aware though, if you take it to a Lexus dealer then they only do the belt - they don't do the idlers/tensioners or water pump unless specifically asked for and at extra cost.

• Like 2