Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am having to top up my fluid regularly now. About a quarter of a cupful when it starts hollering after about 200 miles. I know that this is a known issue with the LS, and the fluid can leak on to the alternator, messing that up as well. No problems with the alternator so far. I'm too old 'n fat to go messin' around under cars these days, and space looks in short supply from the top. Where is the most likely place the leak is liable to be so I can inform Mr Mender Man next week?. Ta.

On a Mk2 there is an out and back cooling pipe which you can see when you raise the Bonnet. They can corrode and leak. Otherwise, the Seal between PSP body and Reservoir can begin to leak as it deteriorates. Also, where the twin pipe Vacuum lines go into the body of the PSP (underside regrettably and not easy to see, the seal can go and the plastic can possibly split. See Vutube Scotty Kilmer on this item.  Other than that any pipe connection can leak from the flexi pipe or O high pressure line connection.

Pipe under bonnet runs across Radiator ( or the Air con) and likely to leak the most I'd think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a specific thread on this a couple of years back with my Mk3  !

Can't remember it's title tho .  it might have started summat like  " catastrophic leak " 

good luck finding it .  it was the gubbins pipework at the top above the cooler pipes but below the reservoir ...  my guy replaced in appropriate flexi hose stuff rather than the amazingly expensive mild steel replacement OEM part

Malc

• Like 1

something like " catastrophic power steering leak ..............  "    but I can't seem to find it in the search facility .......  it must have been a couple of years ago now

and the cooler pipe in front of the radiator you can simply replace in copper tube ( tiny bore though ) for about £3 rather than the Lexus OEM part at i believe about £180 :rolleyes:

You can't really safely drive the car with the pas leak coz it will get much worse, even with topping up, and you might damage the steering box ? whatever.

I had my car trailered down to my indy at the time ...  £100 but worth it.

Malc

Frightening how quickly time compresses as the years roll on. Which reminds me, it's been 7 years since I treated the exposed PS cooler pipe in-front of the radiator to some hammerite... probably time to give it some more love.

the point with my specific problem wasn't that the perfectly ?  good front long cooler pipe was ok, nor that the pas reservoir and all that was ok .......  it was the gubbins mild steel pipework in between that had failed / rusted  ...... where's the longevity of these parts gone eh !  :wink:

........... and it all seems like yesterday too

Malc

• Confused 1

On 12/15/2018 at 11:27 AM, Stupot said:

Frightening how quickly time compresses as the years roll on. Which reminds me, it's been 7 years since I treated the exposed PS cooler pipe in-front of the radiator to some hammerite... probably time to give it some more love.

Likewise treated the pipe to Hammerite a couple of ears ago. Starting to show rust signs on it so must do it again. Its the underside which is the difficulty. I carry two lengths of 12mm copper pipe joined with elbow compression joints in the boot - just in case it leaks somewhere abroad.  Not an easy job to replace I imagine.  Headlamp removal necessary perhaps?  I recently bought an oil cooler on t'bay for very little cash and thinking is it worth substituting or would it affect the Air con ability if placed in front of the Condensor??

On 12/18/2018 at 9:56 AM, runsgrateasanut said:

Likewise treated the pipe to Hammerite a couple of ears ago. Starting to show rust signs on it so must do it again. Its the underside which is the difficulty.

Yes, luckily access from above is OK. I paint the top side of the pipe in one pass, allow to dry then use a small piece of sponge soaked in hammerite applied by hand to the underside

• Like 1