Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So Thursday morning I'm driving to work and the M25 is in carpark mode, so I come off at Sevenoaks and take the backroads. After passing a van that was doing 30 in a 60 limit I come round a gentle curve at around 50 and see white road. I ease out of the throttle but the rear end starts to slide, so I steer into it slightly and steer with the throttle. Thank god for a precise throttle and good steering feedback. After about 300yds of sideways action the white ended and grip resumed. Chances are the VSC helped but I never had time to look at the dash to see if the light came on. I pulled over into a layby and spent 30 mins waving people down and warning them about the ice and got to see a car and a van swap ends (they didn't slow down). Then the gritter turned up and did 2 runs so I continued on to work. Winter is here so stay safe people.

• Like 7

You are a good man George, most people (most likely I am one of them) would drive off after this but you stayed and tried to warn people! Well done and thanks for drivers like you!

• Like 2

Yes, good man, we need more people like you on our roads.  Who knows how many accidents (maybe serious) you prevented. I spent hours driving in London yesterday and the lack of consideration for other motorists is shocking. Give yourself a pat on the back (not when you're driving though!)👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

So Thursday morning I'm driving to work and the M25 is in carpark mode, so I come off at Sevenoaks and take the backroads. After passing a van that was doing 30 in a 60 limit I come round a gentle curve at around 50 and see white road. I ease out of the throttle but the rear end starts to slide, so I steer into it slightly and steer with the throttle. Thank god for a precise throttle and good steering feedback. After about 300yds of sideways action the white ended and grip resumed. Chances are the VSC helped but I never had time to look at the dash to see if the light came on. I pulled over into a layby and spent 30 mins waving people down and warning them about the ice and got to see a car and a van swap ends (they didn't slow down). Then the gritter turned up and did 2 runs so I continued on to work. Winter is here so stay safe people.

Did you not wonder why the van was only doing 30 George ?

On 12/15/2018 at 7:45 AM, royoftherovers said:

Did you not wonder why the van was only doing 30 George ?

Not really, it's a common occurrence on that piece of road for some reason.
Also, most drivers seem to have no idea how wide their cars are as they all slow down when there is oncoming traffic even though there is enough room for a fat old Lexus with several feet to spare (it is a normal width road).

• Like 1

You mean the VSC light was not on and was actually working.

I have had a bit of a drifting experience day on a cold day lucky it was 3 lanes.

still its nice to know you can handle a drift or two

I did have a real mini drift the other day, single carriageway (nothing coming the other way), suspect it was diesel or oil on the road, and I did notice that VSC did not come on, which surpised me as one country lane I use with a cattle grid on a slight camber and 12% incline the VSC always comes on if I do not take foot off the pedal as I traverse the grid.

Shifting to S would have added braking to the rear which had already broken loose.
To be honest I kept both hands on the wheel and steered with the wheel and throttle and it worked out.
At some point I would like to get some skidpad time with the 430 so I know what to expect and how to handle it.

To all whom it may concern.

Some time ago I found a nice educational video  - rear wheel drive oversteer @4:30:

How to correct a slide on an icy road (and how to prevent them) - Winter driving education

• Like 2