Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2019 rcf review?

Lexus need to get into the right decade with the satnav at least. The Japanese know technology if nothing else, so why is this area still lagging behind ze Germans? 

The current gen RCF is still a desirable car, but Lexus are going to have to up their game (and down the weight) with the next one, if they really want to compete with the German marques. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B1RMA said:

The front light assembly was one of the things that attracted me to the RCF good distinctive design.

I agree with you. Don't think they improved the car with the new headlight redesign. I prefer the seperate cluster of DRL and the main beams.

Lexus need to get into the right decade with the satnav at least. The Japanese know technology if nothing else, so why is this area still lagging behind ze Germans? 

The current gen RCF is still a desirable car, but Lexus are going to have to up their game (and down the weight) with the next one, if they really want to compete with the German marques. 

I haven’t driven one but a c63 is probably barely 50kg lighter and a I bet an S5 or RS5 is just as heavy. An M4 might be lighter but it’s by no means the only competition to an RCF.

Certainly someone looking at an 840d, E53amg or such like might consider an RCF and find the cars quite comparable price and mass wise.

An RCF is a small grand tourer - maybe a sports coupe but not a sports car. It’s not pretending to be.

I don’t disagree with the comments re the NAV as that applies to all Lexus/Toyota models but they still remain one of the most trouble free performance cars on the market.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, st4 said:

I haven’t driven one but a c63 is probably barely 50kg lighter and a I bet an S5 or RS5 is just as heavy. An M4 might be lighter but it’s by no means the only competition to an RCF.

Certainly someone looking at an 840d, E53amg or such like might consider an RCF and find the cars quite comparable price and mass wise.

An RCF is a small grand tourer - maybe a sports coupe but not a sports car. It’s not pretending to be.

I don’t disagree with the comments re the NAV as that applies to all Lexus/Toyota models but they still remain one of the most trouble free performance cars on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely hit the nail on the head, the criticisms against the car are the same ones that have been aimed at Lexus for the last few years, its not trying to be an M4 or C63, the magazines are pitching it against those models and if you don't get them for what they are, well , you know what to buy...……...

I agree, the reviews all seem to say the same thing, although Chris Harris a reviewer I have the greatest respect for did conclude that as a road car it was fine.

In all honesty I'm not fussed about whether the sat nav isn't the best, I do like a decent hifi system in a car although being a hifi fanatic I know how limited you are with a car environment but it'll do.

I chose the RCF because it's different and I like driving it and find it perfectly adequate on todays speed camera strewn roads despite its weight which I haven't really noticed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

I agree, the reviews all seem to say the same thing, although Chris Harris a reviewer I have the greatest respect for did conclude that as a road car it was fine.

In all honesty I'm not fussed about whether the sat nav isn't the best, I do like a decent hifi system in a car although being a hifi fanatic I know how limited you are with a car environment but it'll do.

I chose the RCF because it's different and I like driving it and find it perfectly adequate on todays speed camera strewn roads despite its weight which I haven't really noticed. 

Substitute 300h for F and you have described my thoughts/feelings exactly for my version of the RC :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, st4 said:

I should have perhaps been a little more specific in my post. You alluded to it anyway; the RCF isn't trying to sell itself to buyers looking at M3s and C63s. Those buyers will buy those cars because that is exactly what they are after. However Lexus is still aiming to sell the RCF to the sort of people who will consider other German models. This is how they are pitched and priced.

All the other manufactures have realised that they have to change tact and we've seen them reduce weight, engine sizes and improve economy. By doing this you'll get a byproduct or better handling, but this may not be the primary aim. Lexus buyers may not care about sports car handling, but the will care about running costs and perceived value for money.

I want Lexus to do well, I think the RCF is so close already, but as I originally stated, the next one needs changes to keep up with other brands. At the end of the day, Lexus are in this to sell cars.

I would like to see them bring out another ISF, I think that has been missing from their F line-up for some time. Actually they'll need a new GSF now too, but I haven't seen much speculation about either. Atm its only the RCF thats keeping the F brand alive.

23 minutes ago, PhoeNicks said:

I should have perhaps been a little more specific in my post. You alluded to it anyway; the RCF isn't trying to sell itself to buyers looking at M3s and C63s. Those buyers will buy those cars because that is exactly what they are after. However Lexus is still aiming to sell the RCF to the sort of people who will consider other German models. This is how they are pitched and priced.

All the other manufactures have realised that they have to change tact and we've seen them reduce weight, engine sizes and improve economy. By doing this you'll get a byproduct or better handling, but this may not be the primary aim. Lexus buyers may not care about sports car handling, but the will care about running costs and perceived value for money.

I want Lexus to do well, I think the RCF is so close already, but as I originally stated, the next one needs changes to keep up with other brands. At the end of the day, Lexus are in this to sell cars.

I would like to see them bring out another ISF, I think that has been missing from their F line-up for some time. Actually they'll need a new GSF now too, but I haven't seen much speculation about either. Atm its only the RCF thats keeping the F brand alive.

The GS has been discontinued for the ES - a transverse mount FWD car. That won't lend itself to an F variant. 

The IS F is a good idea, performance cars are suited for a longitudinal RWD platform generally speaking. It also will fit in the engine bay as the RC is heavily based on the IS - certainly a modified version of the BMW supra engine would go in and maybe the twin turbo V6 the American markets get. 

There will be an LC-F I imagine.

Competition wise an RCF cannot be that different to a C63 to drive - broadly similar sizes and power and Mercs are heavy cars 

That's a real shame about the GS.

I've only driven the old C63 and the new C63s. They are both torque monsters and feel very fast from low revs. The 5.0litre in the RCF (same as the ISF) needs more time to wind up. Higher up the rev range the AMGs and the Fs feel similar, neither feels like it will or can change direction like an M4, but they don't feel overly nose heavy either.

The AMGs 'felt' faster to me as they are more aggressive and sound louder. They look very premium inside due to the more conventional interior layout, but there isn't more quality. I think it's really down to a more cohesive feeling of 'This is a weapon, it will go stupidly fast'. I didn't think the steering was all that great in the AMGs, nor the ride which was very firm in both, more so in the old car. And neither is very subtle, in looks nor how the sound. Horses for courses, but if you want a car with blunt performance and noise, that looks mean and shouty, you'll not buy a Lexus over the AMG. But then, that's exactly why I don't own an AMG.

• Like 1

The IS F is a good idea, performance cars are suited for a longitudinal RWD platform generally speaking. It also will fit in the engine bay as the RC is heavily based on the IS -  

It a GS front end but still a good idea

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk