Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2009 IS22OD SE ISSUES WITH BLUE SMOKE HELP NEEDED

SmartChris

Hi Thanks for letting me join the forum,, PLEASE I NEED SOME HELP

Ive had a 2009 IS220d se for about 5 weeks , When i drive the car from cold ,no issues starting, after about 5 mins when it gets up to temperature ,it blows blue smoke out for about 30 secs then clears up,, continue to drive the car and about 5 mins later it blows smoke again and clears up. Ive had the car to a local mechanic,,had the car on diagnostics with no faults ,forced a regen, no luck,then he thought the car had been overfilled with oil,,then he changed air filter,oil ,oil filter, .. The car continued to sporadically smoke.. Back to garage again , he checked the turbo,found little wear but nothing unusual,,

Mechanic basically doesn't know what it is,, says it could be a valve stem worn( but if it was ,wouldn't it smoke all the time?)

I did a bit of research , blanked the EGR valve to test,, still smokes,,, no that so removed the blank.

COULD IT BE THE 5TH INJECTOR?? I can't even find the 5th injector to disconnect.

Any ideas, or any non dealer lexus mechanics near Yorkshire anybody could recommend. Im at my wits end.  Its embarrassing to drive the thing in daylight

Welcome Chris.

Usually the 5th injector wouldn't cause blue smoke since that indicates oil burning, but leaving that to one side for the moment, it can cause excessive amounts of smoke to appear.

It is located around the back of the engine, here:

Capture.thumb.JPG.4445e100c5c9941dbeccb5488d6e23f4.JPG

To test it, you need to check the resistance:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.57991c5e0c630e50a22bcfeee22bbae0.JPG

You could disconnect it to test whether the smoke disappears or not though.

Hope this helps.

Have you got access to techstream to check live data? Sounds like it is trying to regen on a regular basis.

mine gives a puff of smoke when it is doing a regen.

chevk the differential pipework is clear,mine was blocked with soot and carbon so ecu was falsely seeing DPF as blocked.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, johnnyroper said:

Have you got access to techstream to check live data? Sounds like it is trying to regen on a regular basis.

mine gives a puff of smoke when it is doing a regen.

chevk the differential pipework is clear,mine was blocked with soot and carbon so ecu was falsely seeing DPF as blocked.

Hi ,, I have purchased the Techstream Software and cable from eBay ,, I'm struggling to get it connected , it comes up with UNABLE TO CONNECT , have you come across any issues with tech stream?

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have a Rav4 T180 and IS220D and both have the same engine. This happens to me quite a lot if I only do short journeys. You soon realise that this is normal for this engine but can sometimes be really embarrassing. It's a process used to clean the exhaust system. A long journey in each usually reduces its notice-ability 🙂