Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jumped RX400 wrong way round 1997

Hi Guys Just found the club while i was looking for a solution.After not having a problem with this car for 10 years it started to need a jump if not used for a couple of days.Doing this without thinking i put the cables the wrong way round , not good i know, now i can't get it started any help would be appreciated. if anyone has an auto electrician they could recommend i would appreciate it as I'm struggling to find one who would work on hybrid. I spoke to Lexus and they said it would be the Fuse block and quoted £800-1000 to start with.

I assume this is a hybrid.

I am not sure of the exact setup with your car as I do not have one, but most of the hybrids follow a pattern.
First do you get any electrical operations? headlights electric windows. If not there is a fuse in the Battery positive terminal 150amp from memory. If this is ok there is a strip fuse under the clear plastic cover in the fuse box under the bonnet. This looks like a thin strip of metal running along the side of the box. Visually check this for blown sections. If this has any missing (blown) sections it will need replacing "not an easy job" requiring removal of the fuse box to get at the underside.

There are other various smaller fuses in the fuse boxes that are likely to be blown the dome fuse in particular. If you are lucky no other damage will have been done, but this cannot be guaranteed.

As you have discovered jump starting hybrids in particular is problematic, and should be avoided if at all possible.

John.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Britprius said:

I assume this is a hybrid.

I am not sure of the exact setup with your car as I do not have one, but most of the hybrids follow a pattern.
First do you get any electrical operations? headlights electric windows. If not there is a fuse in the battery positive terminal 150amp from memory. If this is ok there is a strip fuse under the clear plastic cover in the fuse box under the bonnet. This looks like a thin strip of metal running along the side of the box. Visually check this for blown sections. If this has any missing (blown) sections it will need replacing "not an easy job" requiring removal of the fuse box to get at the underside.

There are other various smaller fuses in the fuse boxes that are likely to be blown the dome fuse in particular. If you are lucky no other damage will have been done, but this cannot be guaranteed.

As you have discovered jump starting hybrids in particular is problematic, and should be avoided if at all possible.

John.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply and information.Your correct this is a Hybrid.I haven't seen a clear fuse box on mine i just have 3 black fuse boxes , one large deep one and one smaller on either side. I'm going to give it a go taking these out and checking the fuses. The long strip ones i have seen online but cant see where these are. I'm trying to trace them.The thing that worries me is the car starts for a coupe of seconds and then dies.I will take out all these fuses and let you know how i get on.

Regards

Andy

2 hours ago, andyeastondon said:

Hi John

Thanks for the reply and information.Your correct this is a Hybrid.I haven't seen a clear fuse box on mine i just have 3 black fuse boxes , one large deep one and one smaller on either side. I'm going to give it a go taking these out and checking the fuses. The long strip ones i have seen online but cant see where these are. I'm trying to trace them.The thing that worries me is the car starts for a coupe of seconds and then dies.I will take out all these fuses and let you know how i get on.

Regards

Andy

Andy. The usual arrangement is that there is a clear portion to one side of the large fuse box after taking off the black lid. The strip fuse is under this clear section, but the clear cover cannot be removed from the top. It is good that the car does start for a short period as this indicates the hybrid system is working as this is responsible for turning the engine to start it. The possible cause for not continuing to run is a fuse in the fuel pump circuit.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

Just wanted to update you.I have managed to change the 140amp fuse along with 6 other fuses and replaced the Battery and my beloved RX is now running again.The 140amp was a nightmare to replace. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply it was really helpful.My wife is also happy as it means she gets her NX back.

Wishing you a Happy and healthy New Year.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done for getting it mended 

1 hour ago, andyeastondon said:

Hi John

Just wanted to update you.I have managed to change the 140amp fuse along with 6 other fuses and replaced the battery and my beloved RX is now running again.The 140amp was a nightmare to replace. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply it was really helpful.My wife is also happy as it means she gets her NX back.

Regards

Andy

5 hours ago, andyeastondon said:

Hi John

Just wanted to update you.I have managed to change the 140amp fuse along with 6 other fuses and replaced the battery and my beloved RX is now running again.The 140amp was a nightmare to replace. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply it was really helpful.My wife is also happy as it means she gets her NX back.

Regards

Andy

Andy I am happy you got it sorted.
As you now know jumping a hybrid can be very problematic, and should be avoided if at all possible. The problem is a flat 12 volt Battery always happens when your in a rush, and it's throwing it down with rain. Not the best time to be giving 100% concentration on what you are doing. I do not believe anyone who say's they have jump started many vehicles, and never got it wrong.

Have a happy new year.

John.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links