Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Audio connections - How do I connect smart phone for spotify etc

Audio connections - How do I connect  Android smart-phone for spotify etc Perhaps DAB radio too. Its the only thing letting down an otherwise fantastic car.

How do I best connect my Phone to get the best out of the (Mark Levinson) audio and without compromising the existing Bluetooth telephone connectivity that works fine? Its a 2006 GS450H without aux-in. I've tried various different cassette adapters and radio transmitters but sound quality and functionality was terrible.

I am aware there are some old posts on the subject but tech has moved on, surely?

Many thanks

The only options that I know of are adapters from Grom, and others. These are good, but pricey. I have wired my GS450H by using the SPDIF connection from the CD player to the amp in the boot via an A to D converter. This give excellent quality sound, and still keeps all the OEM controls. It does not however allow control of the sound source from the cars touch screen.

The A to D converter can be supplied with audio via a Bluetooth devise if required. I agree transmitters, and tape adapters give poor quality sound.

John.

45 minutes ago, Emidas said:

Thanks John, your solution seems a good option.. Whereabouts do you physically tap into the SPDIF connection?  Colin

Collin. you can get at the SPDIF connection at two points. One is on the rear of the tape player, and the other is at the amp under the floor cover at the drivers side of the boot. At the very rearmost end of the amp is a Blue plug this is the SPDIF input into the amp. A similar plug is at the player end.
I used the player end to connect to by removing the plug, and making up a screened lead to go from the player to a switched jack socket then back to the original plug.

A CD is played to turn on the amp, but when you plug in a digital audio signal at the jack the CD signal is disconnected and the digital signal from the A to D converter is played. All the steering, and touch screen controls for the audio remain working including the surround sound functions. Phone connection also still works as OEM.

When buying a converter "about £5" make sure it's an A to D as most on sale are D to A.

Do a search on "Aux audio in instructions" for my post with diagrams, and pictures dated 6 July 2017

John.

If (like me), you're less skilled than John the Grom options need not be expensive.

There is something called a Grom VLINE (now on it's second generation - VLINE2) which provides a full app experience, with an Android based OS and all the usual things like Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, et al.  I think it even supports apple CarPlay.  Also it would easily Bluetooth to your phone for streaming with full steering wheel control, album artwork, etc. This is really snazzy but is around £500.

A cheaper Grom option is something like an Android/iPhone intergration kit.  This would allow Bluetooth streaming (with the right accessory), and would support streaming from a physical connection to your phone.  I think it also shows track name information on the display, but wouldn't have the richness of the VLINE.  These are about £130, but you occasionally see them for sale second hand.

I have experience of Grom units, but not in Lexus.  I fitted the £130 option to my old Volvo S80 and it was brilliant.  Excellent quality and very reliable.  I sold it when I got rid of the car for £100, so all in a very good exercise.

My 2008 GS came with an old school iPod adaptor in the glovebox which actually suits me pretty well, which coupled with a decent FM transmitter means I rarely want for more connectivity, but if I lacked the existing iPod adaptor I think I'd go for the cheaper Grom.

https://gromaudio.co.uk/partfinder/product/list/?make=Lexus&model=GS&year=2007-2012

Many thanks to both of you. I've tracked down the earlier posts so now have plenty with which to tinker over Christmas. I may need to investigate the connections on the rear of the unit anyway as some compatibility charts state 2007-on, inferring that 2006 model has something different. We';ll see. Many thanks again. Colin

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links