Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speedometers

JeffL

I've always been LED to believe that car manufacturers set speedometers to read 10% higher than the car is actually travelling. Reason being they don't want to get sued by a driver who is fined for exceeding the speed limit when said driver has relied on the speedometer. Now that maybe bunkum, I don't know, it's just what I was told many years ago! So I thought it a good idea to get opinions, preferably fact, on the situation and what better place than the 'wise level-headed' Lexus owners on this site! I was prompted to ask as I just came across a discussion elsewhere on speedometers and the following was stated.

Every speedometer is different. Some speedometers read exactly true and some speedometers over-read. If the speedometer overreads it can do so by any amount it is set to. Some are set to overread by a couple of percent, others 5%, 10% or even more. Legally speedometers can overread by up to 10% plus a few mph on top - quite a significant extent.  In reality most modern speedometers overread by some amount but less than 10%. Some by up to or over 10%. Some are entirely accurate .

I'm not advocating here that we exceed the speed limit, just that If we are allowed to do say 70 on a motorway, is it reasonable for us to travel at a speed where the speedometer is reading 77 or 80?

As your quoted text reads, some speedometers can be quite accurate, some less so and it can be significantly variable throughout any one manufacturer's models. That said I think it risky to travel at the speeds you suggest as being reasonable.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

As your quoted text reads, some speedometers can be quite accurate, some less so and it can be significantly variable throughout any one manufacturer's models. That said I think it risky to travel at the speeds you suggest as being reasonable.

Risky? Reasonable?

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Risky? Reasonable?

It's not difficult..

Drive to the reading on the speedometer, don't try second (GPS) guessing it. The time 'saved'  would be insignificant.

Speed limits are a limit, not a target. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

It's not difficult..

Drive to the reading on the speedometer, don't try second (GPS) guessing it. The time 'saved'  would be insignificant.

Speed limits are a limit, not a target. 

Sorry dad :kid:

On 12/17/2018 at 3:30 PM, JeffL said:

Every speedometer is different. Some speedometers read exactly true

Not on Toyota/Lexus UK vehicles, all service manuals I've seen state that at 60 mph, if the speedo reads 60 mph then it is faulty and should be replaced.

• Thanks 1