Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 350 reversing lights

I am loving my new to me RX350 2006, and will shortly be going for LPG on it as I did with my old RX300. One minor gripe I do have with it though is that the reversing lights are not very bright. Can these be uprated without upsetting any of the bulb gone systems?

• Like 1

Yes they can. You should find all the info you need using the search box because this very thing generated the longest topic ever on these forums if I remember correctly.

There's also a pdf file with full instructions too.

EDIT: These are the LEDs I got for the job and they work really well.

SECOND EDIT: This shroud needs to be removed from the light fitting:

car2.thumb.jpg.96c615f7b67872446bc89733c5b9d127.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, warspite1959 said:

Many thanks, ordered, but what were Lexus thinking, some sort of European law against bright rear facing lights?

If I remember correctly (going back to that 'longest ever topic') their official reply was that "the reversing lights are not meant to light your way and allow you to see but are merely an indication to other drivers that you're reversing."

39 minutes ago, Jaystar77 said:

Much appreciated Herb, was looking something to do over the Xmas break and that sounds like just the mod!

You're very welcome Jay. A couple of other things you could do if you get bored would be the switchback DRLs and the USB cigar lighter conversion

usb.thumb.jpg.6dc6e0467c4c51786071615615164d12.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jaystar77 said:

Much appreciated Herb, was looking something to do over the Xmas break and that sounds like just the mod!

Assuming the fitting is the same as the 400h, keep your wits about you. One of the nuts is very easy to get lost inside the panel.

Also, a bit of thought towards sealant. After disturbing my rear light fittings I got a bit of water coming in behind the lens and had to remove it again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Job done, though I'm waiting for it to go dark before I see the full effect, they look pretty bright in daylight. I did initially remove the shroud for more light, it means you can see these ugly bulbs quite clearly, so after struggling to get shrouds off, I've put them back on.

1 hour ago, Rutlandlex said:

Do these mods help to see on the reversing camera better in the dark?  Reversing in the dark in this car is truly awful!!

Yes, they do make quite a bit of difference to the camera.

2 hours ago, warspite1959 said:

I did initially remove the shroud for more light, it means you can see these ugly bulbs quite clearly, so after struggling to get shrouds off, I've put them back on.

Each to their own and all that but how often do you see them?

The whole idea of the mod is to give you more light. Seems rather strange to then cut half of it back down again, especially for such a trivial reason as a bulb that you'll hardly ever see.

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

The whole idea of the mod is to give you more light. Seems rather strange to then cut half of it back down again, especially for such a trivial reason as a bulb that you'll hardly ever see.

Do you have tinted lenses on your model? On mine they are fully visible, will try and post some pics. Again on mine these bulbs do improve both rear view, and camera view, but not as much as I would like. Next step will to be to either tint lenses, or open out little hole in centre of shroud. Also I need parking sensors, so many toys on this car, can't believe these aren't standard.

5 minutes ago, warspite1959 said:

Do you have tinted lenses on your model? On mine they are fully visible

No, mine were completely clear and fully visible on my RX300 but, although not pretty, you only ever see the bulbs for a few seconds as you open the tailgate to load stuff in there.

8 minutes ago, warspite1959 said:

Next step will to be to either tint lenses,

Again, why cut down on light output when it's more you need? Surely you can live with only seeing the bulbs for about 5 minutes a week?

So I have gone for a compromise, and cut the bottom half of the shroud off, which improves the light output, but still covers the ugly yellow bulb from view. And yes, does improve camera view in the dark. Now onto my next mission, parking sensors.

• Like 1

Oddly I don't miss sensors now. Used to be very sceptical of reverse cameras but now I think I prefer them. My wife's brand new S-Max in bristling with sensors but I always feel I'm a bit blind when I put it in to reverse.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links