Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

I ordered a Rear LH CV drive shaft . When sitting in the car with LH drive the LH rear  shaft is behind the driver same as Uk near side rear, even checked it on YouTube before placing the order

We stripped the car down to find they sent us a part TO-8297 30 5/16in too short the one that came out was 32in They list TO-8298 as RH rear this is 32in. Freight to send back more than the rebate. I tried to explain is it a mistake in their system but sadly no help they shut down my query.

They Did not believe me should have taken pictures

Not a nice experience wasted some money. Be careful what you order

Sorry to hear that you had an issue with them, I have used them many times and never had a problem.

Their product descriptions are usually pretty good but i guess mistakes can be made.

Did you double check the part number on another site before ordering?

I rely on 7zap/etc for parts diagrams and product codes before I hunt down a supplier.

Yes, they're online operation appears to be based in New York.

I recently ordered parts from my local Lexus and others from Rockauto on the same day. Both orders arrived 3 days later. I had to drive the Lexus dealership whereas the long distance order arrived on my doorstep [emoji106]

Priority shipping was
Regular shipping wasn't much less and usually takes 5-7 days. Prices vary depending on the package size and weight, as you'd expect.

I'll definitely be using them again as their prices are good, they have a wide choice, great shipping and an easy to use website.

Are they US based? How long for part to arrive? Did you have to pay any import customs or vat?
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Caravanman said:

Hi All

I ordered a Rear LH CV drive shaft . When sitting in the car with LH drive the LH rear  shaft is behind the driver same as Uk near side rear, even checked it on YouTube before placing the order

We stripped the car down to find they sent us a part TO-8297 30 5/16in too short the one that came out was 32in They list TO-8298 as RH rear this is 32in. Freight to send back more than the rebate. I tried to explain is it a mistake in their system but sadly no help they shut down my query.

They Did not believe me should have taken pictures

Not a nice experience wasted some money. Be careful what you order

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. I can understand that you feel aggrieved at this situation.

I have purchased some items from Rockauto in the recent past and found them to be excellent. Like Lee, I cross referenced everything I was considering just to be as clear as possible that what I was ordering was correct. I too was concerned about LH and RH orientations especially as their market is LH drive vehicles. 

You are quite right when you say .... Be careful what you order

Hope you manage to get the car problem resolved in the not too distant.

• Like 1

Hi All

I took the car to another garage yesterday and they successfully installed the CV shaft. The problem came down to compressed length the shaft we removed was 32in and the new one was 1 in shorter and the first mechanic said it was wrong.

If any one else has to change a CV shaft then then remember my comments. I have sent an apology mail note to the Rock Auto customer service guys. This is a superb company at amazing pricing.

To recap Lexus UK was £830 for the LH CV half shaft Rock Auto was £65 + £25 shipping and this comes DHL to uk then Parcel force.

As it was less than £100 no import duty but I had to pay Parcel Force £25 VAT to release the package? The shaft was made in China but it looks amazing can't believe how they do it for the price.

Also my rear exhaust CAT back is nearly done Lexus £850. Stainless steel custom fit made in the Midlands is £350

Happy Motoring

Roger

• Like 1

So am I reading this right that the shaft you got was the right one and just had to be extended a bit as it was sent 'fully' compressed?

you would not want the shaft to be fitted/used in the fully compressed posistion as you would have no 'give' on the splines when going over uneven ground. I also guess that that wheel/strut was unsupported and not in the final riding posistion when trying to fit also.

paul m.