Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot comes open - running down battery

My GS450h is an excellent car but I have one recurring problem. The boot comes open while its in the garage at home, leading to slow run down of the starter Battery. The car is often in the garage for a week or so as its only used for longer journeys.

Prime suspects are the keyfobs in my pocket and my wife’s handbag but our other car is rarely affected this way and the Lexus doors never seem to get unlocked this way. Could it be some strange wireless interference? There is only one other house within wireless range.

i have removed the bulb from the boot courtesy light which has reduced the Battery rundown if the boot comes open but the warning light on the dash still consumes some power. I have only recently discovered the luggage security button in the glove box which should prevent it happening again but putting stuff in the boot when going to the car is now a minor hassle!

anybody else had this problem?

Possibly another device transmitting on the same frequency ?

I think the technology has  changed quite a bit over the years, but in previous years a lot of cars were affected by transmissions

from radio links and amateur radio.  I know that if I were transmitting on the 70cms band while driving, I would often set of car alarms.

With everything being digital nowadays, I doubt this happens any more.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Possibly another device transmitting on the same frequency ?

I think the technology has  changed quite a bit over the years, but in previous years a lot of cars were affected by transmissions

from radio links and amateur radio.  I know that if I were transmitting on the 70cms band while driving, I would often set of car alarms.

With everything being digital nowadays, I doubt this happens any more.

Most cars nowadays all transmit on the same frequency and send a digital rolling code to prevent someone sniffing the remote control and copying the code (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_code).

It could be a faulty boot release button intermittently going short circuit or a wiring issue.  

Have you tried disabling the boot opener by pressing the button in your glove box?

Kev

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, Kevin, Steve,

If there is some sort of wireless interference problem I don’t think I’ll ever track it down so the luggage security lock is, I think, the work around. And I’ll check for a fault on the boot release button circuit - thanks for that suggestion.

As to the Battery - definitely shot; being replaced as we speak!

David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bootstrap said:

My GS450h is an excellent car but I have one recurring problem. The boot comes open while its in the garage at home, leading to slow run down of the starter battery. The car is often in the garage for a week or so as its only used for longer journeys.

Prime suspects are the keyfobs in my pocket and my wife’s handbag but our other car is rarely affected this way and the Lexus doors never seem to get unlocked this way. Could it be some strange wireless interference? There is only one other house within wireless range.

i have removed the bulb from the boot courtesy light which has reduced the battery rundown if the boot comes open but the warning light on the dash still consumes some power. I have only recently discovered the luggage security button in the glove box which should prevent it happening again but putting stuff in the boot when going to the car is now a minor hassle!

anybody else had this problem?

Put the 12v Battery on a trickle charge until the cause of the "run down" has been rectified?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links