Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812123213416

Tempted as it looks like a garage queen, lovely low milage so the car will be totally fresh. My concern is the age, it's over 10yrs old but it's clearly been loved. 

I just am not sure if going from a 13 plate GS to a 07 reg LS is a wise move. 

I would say worth a drive, certainly going to be a different drive to GS250, and though 6 years old, will not feel 6 years older.

Price seems fair, but a bit of a long way from Argyll, but if I was in market for a bit more luxury I would be off to Bedford ASAP

• Like 1

I know, I really like my GS as it is but I know this I would like even more. Problem is I hardly ever drive the GS, I have a battered old RAV4 I go everywhere in over the winter months. 

Hmmm, autotrader, too much time on me hands...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, lexus707 said:

It looks like this is the SE version there are differences in the SE-L version drop down screen in the rear etc etc, it seems a lot of money for an SE version.

I agree that it looks pricey. HPI valuations give an 07 Plate SE version with 21k miles as a forecourt selling price of between £10780 - £11580

Whoah, ok, not paying that. Would pay £8k for it and pocket the difference.

I still would prefer a newer, facelifted car. I think I should hold out and buy one of the last ones in a couple of years. I don't really want an older car than the one I have. 

• 1 month later...

Well, I bought this car two weeks ago and it’s my first Lexus.  I am very happy so far (1,000 miles!), everything seems to work fine and there’s very little  wear.  It is the basic model and has few extras, just parking and the power boot lid and is notably missing the Mark Levinson audio. 

The paint has been touched up in a few places and the car has been frequently washed so there are some swirl marks and some lime scale deposits, but it’ll respond well to a proper detail once the weather improves.  It has been serviced by Lexus 11 times and though I have yet to access the detail on the my Lexus app, I’m very much hoping everything has been done as required. I was a bit disappointed that the tyres were old (two were dated 2007) so I’ve already put on a set of Michelin premacy 4. There is a bit more wind noise than I expected so I will try the sealant fix shortly.  Also, I’m struggling a bit with the cable tie glove box fix but the only other real interior problem is a compression mark on the steering wheel rim, about which I think there is nothing I can realistically do.

I like my cars to be perfect and keep them a long time and experience has show me that buying the best and paying a bit more on the way in pays dividends in the long run; I don’t think I struck too bad a deal considering my trade in.  But it wasn’t £8k   😊

Anyway, just saying hello and (fingers crossed) I look forward to a long and trouble-free ownership!  

0BED4606-EFFC-4791-A0F5-EBC6A8A047F2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the welcome Phil!

Here are a couple more pics.  One shows the steering wheel compression quite well - the previous owner had a “ball” clamped on the wheel it seems.  The other shows a little test patch for the leather cleaner - the patch has now gone and is all pale now, but it amused me how the seemingly very clean leather was still quite dirty. 

2C1BD026-319F-47B9-AEDD-F9FEFA8AC8C0.jpeg

51134ABB-700B-4276-ABB7-DBA1099DE400.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the LOC, there's a little info on here about keeping the Ls460 good and well ..............but don't forget to deal with the radiator issue before it's too long in the tooth .  as you're keeping it a while :whistling:

Malc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips guys.  

I finally got access to “My Lexus” history this evening and it only goes back to 2015. I guess I will have to contact the supplying dealer to get more detail.

The car had a 100,000 mile service in 2017 including a coolant and diff oil change so I think that’s reassuring.  However, every mention of the engine oil changes says 5w-30, which is the wrong oil isn’t it?  I’m guessing that it’s not a big problem but I’m confused if an approved dealer is not following the manufacturer’s recommendation.  

Regarding the radiator problems is there any way to determine from outside if there’s an issue developing before it fails?

I really appreciate the information on this forum- very helpful

Ever since Malc mentioned the 460 radiator problem, I've been trying to get a verification of it. I posted a question on the US forum and got the reply that I DIDN'T want:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/910097-transmission-cooling.html

Thanks Malc, I'll start checking my coolant overflow tank and arrange a radiator change on my next service. 

BTW Oil 5w-30 is pretty standard.

• Like 1

I do think that any issue connected to LS430’s and LS460’s has to been viewed in context. If you compare these cars to any other luxury car of the same vintage and cost to purchase, Merc’s, BMW, VW, JAG the actual maintenance cost of the Lexus is minor in comparison. If it means changing the radiator, after a considerable number of years, which I have done, is probably the only major outlay to give peace of mind, then I think that this is ‘ fantastic’. The major outlay is only low hundreds at most, and not thousands, as on the other brands. Continued Happy Motoring , Roger

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FTG5 said:

Regarding the radiator problems is there any way to determine from outside if there’s an issue developing before it fails?

I think the answer is very probably a big fat  NO

The guy i spoke to which made me raise this in another post a week or so ago had indeed suffered the same fate with his earlier Ls430,............ he didn't notice any changes and it cost him a £3000 gearbox rebuild that he was lucky to be able to do

Normally a replacement new box ............  or scrapping the car :Jumpy:

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I think the answer is very probably a big fat  NO

The guy i spoke to which made me raise this in another post a week or so ago had indeed suffered the same fate with his earlier Ls430,............ he didn't notice any changes and it cost him a £3000 gearbox rebuild that he was lucky to be able to do

Normally a replacement new box ............  or scrapping the car :Jumpy:

Malc

On the US forum, the guy said that he noticed transmission fluid in his coolant reservoir. That prompted him to go for the new radiator. I suggest it might be a good idea for all of us 430/460 owners to check our coolant reservoirs regularly until we decide to change the radiator.

• Like 1

If you do have one of these most excellent motors ( I don't ) would it not be wise to 'invest' in a new rad sooner rather than later seeing as you now know that this problem is virtually unpredictable ( I say noticing ATF in the coolant resivour is too late, damage may already be done). Imagine how you would feel if it was to happen to your pride and joy after you were privy to this info, I would kick my self for days!!! And No I am not a supplier of LS rads!

paul m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texas said:

I say noticing ATF in the coolant resivour is too late,

that's absolutely the point ........  you've usually got past the point of no return

Malc