Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tires again.. khumo ecsta ku39

Has anybody fitted khumo ku39 ecsta on their Lexus is ?
These tires have a huge fan base with the mx5 community, and indeed I had them on my mx5. They are brilliant on the Mx.

But the is250c isn't far off twice the weight of an mx5 !!.

Front Michelins not far off done now and tramline really badly. and I want the Chinese Ditch finders taken off the rear at same time as I've no feel to what the rear of the car is doing. No sensation of grip.
And I always keep tires matched. Don't like mixed tires for the simple reason of different compounds grip wise and different tires displace different rates of water. So when one tires beginning to aquaplane, the other may still be offering full grip.

So in the near future I'm looking at replacing all 4 in one hit. [emoji849]

Thoughts/ personal experience on the khumo please

Or any other recommendations that are not silly money

Thx

Paul

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not had them on my Lexus I'm afraid but ran them on my old Civic Type r ep3 and thought they were a very good tyre and much quieter than the Bridgestones that were on it before. Couldn't see why they wouldn't work on the Lexus.
Thought the sidewalls were a little soft so if you want comfort then they would be ok. Or go for xl if they did them to firm them up a bit.

Got Goodyear asametric 3 on my is250 now and they are perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Paul, I had KU39 on my BMW e60 525d and they were fantastic especially after runflats! 

I agree with Lee above KU39 probably a bit on a softer side but still a good tyre.

Kumho is highly rated on BMW forum.

• Like 1

Thx guys.
I just hope the khumo on the 250c work as well as they did on the mx5.
The feel of grip and feel they gave on the mx5 was akin to the feel a motorcycle gives its rider..
If you've been a biker or racer then you will know what I mean.

Not that Intend to throw nearly 2 ton of grand tourer about, but actually having some feed back from the steering and seat of the pants is really needed.

I have Khumo's fitted on all 4 feet of mine on 18's. I bought 4 alloy wheels from Lexus with the Khumo's on and was told that's the tyre they were using at the time.

As for experience with them - have used them from new for over a year now and have had no issues with them. I don't do a lot of miles so I cant help with any indication of wear but over 7k miles, the wear is not noticeable

• Like 1

I've had Khumo on my Honda Accord 2.4 in the past. Good value for money and decent grip, I seem to recall. I've got Avon zv7's on my IS, and I'm not totally comfortable with them, especially in the rain. 

43 minutes ago, Hondaman said:

I've had Khumo on my Honda Accord 2.4 in the past. Good value for money and decent grip, I seem to recall. I've got Avon zv7's on my IS, and I'm not totally comfortable with them, especially in the rain. 

Interesting. Is lack of grip the issue? Old rubber, low tread? I don't drive that fast, sometimes a bit of a spurt but don't push it round corners. The new Avon's are on the front and Goodyear efficient grip on the rear. On my 1989 Volvo 240 and 1996 940 always bought Michelin energy savers in size 195/65R15. Lasted well and RWD too.

James

Interesting. Is lack of grip the issue? Old rubber, low tread? I don't drive that fast, sometimes a bit of a spurt but don't push it round corners. The new Avon's are on the front and Goodyear efficient grip on the rear. On my 1989 Volvo 240 and 1996 940 always bought Michelin energy savers in size 195/65R15. Lasted well and RWD too.
James
No James. Just zero feel. In fact I'd say I've more feel through the seat and steering wheel of my 11 car car transporter.
The Chinese Ditch finders on the rear are positively scary. On a slightly greasy roundabout even under light acceleration, had a big sideways moment and as I counter steered the car electronics intervened to halt the slide. Speed under 20 mph.

I just got my Is250, and the Avon Tyres look fairly new. When they need changing I definitely will be going towards Khumo. They are well priced and have comparable grip to the big name tyres. I had Dunlop Sport Maxx on my last IS a few years ago, and was not too impressed. 

21 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Michelin premier 4 are a fantastic tyre (had them on my GS 300h.) Michelin Cross Climates extremely good also(currently fitted to my RX450h. 

They frequently do cashback offers, I got £100 back on preloaded visa debit card 

What is it - preloaded visa debit card? It came up before on other threads while discussing Michelin.Cross Climates has a very good reviews! They are expensive for my GS but something worth considering.

On 12/22/2018 at 2:04 PM, JamesIS220 said:

Thanks for your post.

I'll not have them fitted to the rear then, presume your Avons was fitted all round? Thought Avon was a UK brand.

James. 

Yes, all four of my tyres are Avon zv7's. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hondaman said:

Yes, all four of my tyres are Avon zv7's. 

I have Avon's on the back, good tyres but not as cheap as Kumho would be, I think mine were about £110 per tyre, I did not buy them but the garage I got the car from put them on for me.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:32 PM, Hondaman said:

I just got my Is250, and the Avon tyres look fairly new. When they need changing I definitely will be going towards Khumo. They are well priced and have comparable grip to the big name tyres. I had Dunlop Sport Maxx on my last IS a few years ago, and was not too impressed. 

I had Dunlop Sport Max on my Passat, quite tyres, comfy but they just don't last, at all! I would not buy these again tbh.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, leelacey17 said:

Not had them on my Lexus I'm afraid but ran them on my old Civic Type r ep3 and thought they were a very good tyre and much quieter than the Bridgestones that were on it before. Couldn't see why they wouldn't work on the Lexus.
Thought the sidewalls were a little soft so if you want comfort then they would be ok. Or go for xl if they did them to firm them up a bit.

Got Goodyear asametric 3 on my is250 now and they are perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I had them on my EP3 as well. Lots of grip but never lasted too long.