Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressure Warning

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the TPMS is activated once the tyre pressure falls below 25% of the calibrated pressure.

So if that is 35-36psi, a pressure of 25psi means it wont reset. ( allowing for a bit of error) This is what I found when I had a slow puncture...

That sounds sensible to me. The one time the TPMS activated the pressure in the one tyre was around 25psi when I checked it. Never had it go off since then for just a few psi down in pressure. 

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the TPMS is activated once the tyre pressure falls below 25% of the calibrated pressure.

So if that is 35-36psi, a pressure of 25psi means it wont reset. ( allowing for a bit of error) This is what I found when I had a slow puncture...

Apologies for my stupidity, I did the tyre pressure on 25 , when I now see it should be 36 ! Just popped down to Kwakiutl fit and they kindly pumped them all up to the correct pressure , reset , and now all fine !!! 

But in my defence , where you open driver door and look for pressure guide it has 2.5. 250 , no mention of 36 !!??

thanks everyone, these Forums are invaluable as I have learnt in the past using Jaguar forum and Ramge Rover forum 👍

13 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Apologies for my stupidity, I did the tyre pressure on 25 , when I now see it should be 36 ! Just popped down to Kwakiutl fit and they kindly pumped them all up to the correct pressure , reset , and now all fine !!! 

But in my defence , where you open driver door and look for pressure guide it has 2.5. 250 , no mention of 36 !!??

thanks everyone, these Forums are invaluable as I have learnt in the past using Jaguar forum and Ramge Rover forum 👍

The figure of 2.5 quoted on the door pillar is in BAR not PSI  to convert multiply X 14.7. (2.5 X 14.7 = 36.75 PSI), but it should also be marked in PSI anyway.

John

35 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The figure of 2.5 quoted on the door pillar is in BAR not PSI  to convert multiply X 14.7. (2.5 X 14.7 = 36.75 PSI), but it should also be marked in PSI anyway.

John

Only marked in KPa and bar on the door pillar so I can see where the confusion may come from.

55 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Glad you're at 36 psi (2.5 bar) now - at the pressures you were at I would have thought it was verging on dangerous - at best must have been soggy handling. 

8 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Glad you're at 36 psi (2.5 bar) now - at the pressures you were at I would have thought it was verging on dangerous - at best must have been soggy handling. 

The funny thing is , the tyre s looked ok at 25. ! , you would think they would look a bit soft ?, ! .;

when i drove back from Kwik Fit the steering and ride felt so much better 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

The funny thing is , the tyre s looked ok at 25. ! , you would think they would look a bit soft ?, ! .;

when i drove back from Kwik Fit the steering and ride felt so much better 👍

If the tyres were warm when inflated (assuming normal low speed journey) they will have been reading about 3 psi high in my experience and so if they were inflated to 36 psi they may actually be at approx 33 psi. Worth getting a good hand held tyre pressure gauge (they aren't too expensive) to check them now and again - some tyres don't look like they are low pressure even when they are. 

Just changed to Michelin cross climates and thought what a comfortable ride, ignoring the TPMS warning light despite reset attempts.  Will settle down the supplier said.  But I checked  at home and found all tyres set at 29psi.  Goodness knows why.  Use my foot pump to correct to 36psi and bingo, warning light off.  Message for me is not to ignore the warning.

2 hours ago, BigChange said:

Just changed to Michelin cross climates

How do they compare to your previous tyres?

Are they still more comfortable than the previous tyres when you have them at 36 psi?

Are they quieter or noisier?

I'd like to work out which are the quietest tyres but it's hard to find out when tyres are changed so infrequently. On first impressions, would you buy these again?

William, have done more miles than anticipated and can make some informed comments.  The miles cover awful country lanes, uneven and broken local roads and the M4 motorway.  Replaced tyres were - rear Yokahama (originals) at 38,000 - front Dunlop Sport Maxx at 20,000miles.  Fronts did not need replacing but decided to bite on the (cost) bullet and do all four.

·        First impressions are good.  The car rides more comfortably, what you might expect from ‘normal’ tyres and not the low-profile harder ride.  Tyres seem to smooth out road unevenness and imperfections.

·        Noise level is slightly reduced – hum rather than roar and a comforting swish when driving through snow melt wet roads.

·        snow use was limited but excellent and this will be further tested in France at month end.

·        Cornering and braking appear to be much the same although I do not push the limit.

Maybe imagined but I do feel as though I am in “safe hands”.  Certainly don’t regret the change or the slightly higher cost.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BigChange said:

William, have done more miles than anticipated and can make some informed comments.  The miles cover awful country lanes, uneven and broken local roads and the M4 motorway.  Replaced tyres were - rear Yokahama (originals) at 38,000 - front Dunlop Sport Maxx at 20,000miles.  Fronts did not need replacing but decided to bite on the (cost) bullet and do all four.

·        First impressions are good.  The car rides more comfortably, what you might expect from ‘normal’ tyres and not the low-profile harder ride.  Tyres seem to smooth out road unevenness and imperfections.

·        Noise level is slightly reduced – hum rather than roar and a comforting swish when driving through snow melt wet roads.

·        snow use was limited but excellent and this will be further tested in France at month end.

·        Cornering and braking appear to be much the same although I do not push the limit.

Maybe imagined but I do feel as though I am in “safe hands”.  Certainly don’t regret the change or the slightly higher cost.

Many thanks for the helpful comments. My car already had Michelin Cross-Climate fitted when bought so I've had nothing to compare them to. But they seem comfortable and quiet. They seem to wear well too. I think they've done about 25,000 miles and are still on 4-5 mm. I'm inclined to stick to the same when they need changing.

Just a quick update, I hadn't had any further warning lights since December 26th. Weather conditions since then have ranged from snow, ice,  -10°c - +15°c....🤔

• 1 month later...

Never having had TPMS before I was a bit doubtful of its value. My previous car (an Octavia) ran for 11 years without a puncture so when the light came on  a few weeks after delivery of the new 300 I wasn't too concerned. Eventually I checked the tyre to find it was at half pressure! A visit to the garage revealed a nice shiny cross head screw straight through the tread - happily the insurance paid for it.

• 4 weeks later...

The light came on again last Friday morning,  ground temperature was -5° and it was icy out. Light was gone again in the afternoon,  pressures were fine when checked 🤣

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links