Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus added value options- worth it?

superatticman

Am pondering a GS250 for around the 13k mark.

Have also been offered some 'added value' options. Namely:

Lexus asset protector

Lexus smart cover

Lexus Tyre and alloy cover

Supagard

All the Lexus dealers have been very keen to offer these. A case of in general it benefits the dealer more than the customer? Or a case of wanting to genuinely look after the customer. 

Does add over 1.5 k to the total price. 

Anyone ever purchased these products???? Always a little wary of 'extras' as its sometimes the case that your existing insurance etc mitigates against some of the risks. I also apply a 3 coat polish and wax every year and treat the leather seats with a preserver etc. 

Yes, it must benefit the dealer, but most of all I think the salesman benefits from a generous commission package on these products.  Personally, I wouldn't bother, especially as you care for your vehicle anyway.

If you're planning on keeping the vehicle for a few years and having it serviced by Lexus, I'd be more inclined to invest funds in the extended warranty to follow on after the initial dealer supplied warranty.  I speak from experience on the warranty as I have benefitted from it on two ISs in the past.

Enjoy your GS if you go through with the purchase.

• Like 1

We got the Supagard and the Smart cover, which I think are worth it. However, I've since found out that both of these can be done elsewhere for half the price or less than the Lexus dealer, so I'd say go for it but not at Lexus.

I went for gen3 glass coat and smart insurance for when I bought a 4 month old demonstrator three years ago. I would definitely have them again. After 3 years the paint is still shiny like new and it is easier to clean. I had one occasion to use the smart insurance and they did a great job but it is peace of mind.
Not sure if paint protection is worth it on a car if it is not applied from new. Otherwise you are just protecting the imperfections that are already present.

These seem to be pretty standard extras, available on most makes of car. I've taken them in the past, but wouldn't again.

As said, it mostly for the benefit of the salesman.  If you do decide to take up any of their offers, it's worth haggling, as they are

desperate for their bonus.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:20 PM, Herbie said:

We got the Supagard and the Smart cover, which I think are worth it. However, I've since found out that both of these can be done elsewhere for half the price or less than the Lexus dealer, so I'd say go for it but not at Lexus.

I wouldn't bother. My current RX was gard x protected inside and out by dealer Outside no good aftwxarcprepared for resale. I bought some gard x leather treatment for peanuts off eBay. Apparently the valeters always have tons left over and sell it on 

• Like 1

+1 for the extended warranty. Much more valuable.

Asset protector? Presuming this is GAP/Return To Invoice (RTI) insurance? If so, check out the many other companies that do this. I went with ALA and their RTI version. Give them a call as they're always willing to do a deal.

A decent detailer will be able to protect the paintwork a great deal better so be sure to have a look around for some near to where you are.

• Like 1