Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

It could well be an exhaust leak. You wouldn't normally get a fuel smell, unless the ECU is overfueling which it shouldn't do just because of that error. I'd check/clean the MAF sensor if you haven't done that already.

Check that the sensors that you replaced are tight and have not worked loose (worth a check) as this could cause an error and could cause a smell of fuel...

You can, only if the exhaust is cold, but your hand over a tail pipe and see if the noise gets louder or the engine stalls (with the car in park) - you may need 2 people to do this on both exhausts at the same time. If the car runs on with the exhausts blocked then likelihood there's a hole in the exhaust. It the hole is small in the exhaust it may cut out or it may struggle to hold the revs.

How many miles have you driven since the last reset and what's the mileage on the clock?

The fuel smell could be from the EVAP valve or a leaky fuel cap. MAF always remains a possibility with this error code.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread. Did anything fix it or you just live with it? I have the same P0420 code, came on about 14months ago for the first time after I was revving its ti*s off in the snow. The car was running very hot, I think the cats just had it. I clear mine with OBD app and it stays off generally for good few weeks at a time. I can't say I've noticed anything different about the car at all, idle, fuel economy etc is all fine. 

Are you sure you haven't got a very small/tiny hole/leak near the lamba sensor🤔,had the same P420 error code when I owned my IS200 sport and had a custom made stainless exhaust fitted,it so happened that there was a very tiny hole/leak in the welding near the sensor that triggered the engine management light and P420 error code 🤔

• 8 months later...

Thanks to everyone for the info above, I had the same issue on my 2006 Lexus IS350.I was preparing for the worst and taking it to a mechanic where I'm sure they would have replaced the Cat and O2 sensors....  I thought I would check under the hood at the mass flow..... the connector was not on all the way!  plugged it in and fault was gone.  hope this helps you guys.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links