Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Occasional white smoke 220d, 2009 model

Pauline B

HI

I had a toyota avensis petrol 1.8 for years and got it to 254000 miles. I had to let it go because someone crashed into it, I was gutted!!! A friend had a 20 year old lexus and suggested I go for that make as it is made by toyota and a diesel because of the high miles I do! In April this year I got a 2009, 220d. C02 emissions 148g/kg so I think it is the newer version as the older ones had higher CO2 emissions. It had around 80000 miles on the clock and well looked after, service history etc. I had the oil changed and levels checked and ghad the car enerally checked over when I got it home and was told it was good car. It is has now nearly done 100000 miles and I have to admit I haven't had time to have it serviced. When I first got it I also I also put petrol in it by mistake but not enough that it needed siphoning. I learned my lesson and put normal diesel in but I have noticed since the end of October that when I am about to  accelerate from a slip road onto a motorway it emits white smoke. It disappears in less than a minutes and it happens less than once a week. I have noticed it happens when the car has been parked all day or night and then I have driven between 30-50 miles an hour for 10 minutes or if stuck in a queue and then accelarate. It doesn't do it when starting from cold or lower speeds. I haven't been worried about it as I put it down to cold weather/ rain and warm fumes hitting cold ground especially as the exhaust points downwards. I know it needs a full service which will be done Christmas is out of the way, but a friend pointed out it could be a fuel injector. I am now worried that I have damaged the car by not doing anything about it sooner. Any advice would be helpful.

Can't but think that new oil and air filter should clear the air (sorry, festive season, couldn't resist the pun).

I'd've thought an injector issue would give other symptoms too, but you won't really know for sure until you've got the oil and filter done.

• Like 1

as the saying goes a stitch in time saves nine,sayings like "really haven't had the time" always make me chuckle,look after a car and it looks after you,abuse it and it will let you down,hopefully you haven't done too much damage 😊 

• Like 1

Thank you both for finding the time to respond. So basically it is my own bl**dy fault for thinking I could treat it like my old Toyota that was used and abused !! I will get serviced asap! It also needs new brakes I think too!!! Merry Christmas and thanks again😁😁

• Like 1

Sounds to me like it is doing a regen,mine emits some smoke when a regen is happening.

once a week is quite regular though,what sort of journeys do you do?

could have an issue with the dpf differential pressure,mine had a blockage in post dpf steel pipe so sensor was seeing it as blocked dpf and trying to regen.

might be worth getting it on diagnostics and having a check of dpf system.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have a Rav4 T180 and Lexus IS220D (both use the the same model of engine) and this happens in both these cars all the time. I was also worried about this when I first got these cars but you soon realise this is normal and is a process that is cleaning the exhaust. This gets a lot worse if you do short journeys to the point where it's extremely embarrassing the amount of smoke that comes out! A long journey usually sorts them out though.

Jonny Roper and Appers thank you for getting back to me on this. I think once a week is a bit much Appers yes it is embarrassing the amount that comes out and then it just stops! I have an MOT due next week and I am hoping it doesn't fail on emissions. I haven't had it a year. Oh I did get a full service but it didn't make a difference.

Full service won’t make a difference it’s just one of them things with a modern diesel due to amount of extra fuel that’s dumped in exhaust to burn in the DPF.

i find with mine if I keep it at steady rpm of about 3k to keep exhaust temp up the regen completes fine with minimal smoke. The majority of smoke is when planting foot down during a regen.

it shouldn’t fail emissions as it is working as designed just make sure give it a run prior to mot to get a regen done.

You are right jonnyroper. It is when I plant my foot down. I keep forgetting its not my old car and I need to be gentle with it! It did it this morning going to work getting onto the slip road. I put my foot down! The person behind drove past me and gave me a look! The smoke was embarrassing! I will be gentle with it!!!