Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow socks chains or ... if winter tyres not an option

Hi, want to try to get home if it snows when I am out for work, which could be anywhere south UK and I live in the the Welsh border hills.  IS300h is a company car and I am not essential service staff so winter tyres are not offered.  I read everything on the forum but there is very little about how well socks and chains actually perform.  I have picked up some Maggi Trak ladder chains from eBay - which fit from the outside of the wheel, so no worries about reaching in or interference with suspension.  There are some nice videos of them being fitted to Mercs and BMWs with no wheel arch clearance, so seems to be viable.  Also some socks for the front to aid steering.  I'll let you know how it goes, but would like to hear your experience.  

As I understand it, snow chains are only any good in snow (to state the obvious), and I would I assume restrict speed significantly.

Snow tyres (as I understand it) are good in snow, but only start working at low temperatures. Stopping distance is reduced on dry roads.

Unless you are living in the back of beyond, in the UK, even if we get snow the roads are usually cleared pretty quickly,

I just got 4 new michi cross climate tyres. Very good reviews along with the contis and Bridgestone. Can run them all year round . What ever they have done to enable slow tyre wear but still perform well in the dry and snow I don't know, but they are great especially for colder areas prone to more adverse weather conditions. If it's propper deep snow you are worried about then chains are your answer.. but can only travel at low speed and not on tarmac. A good all weather tyre would be better than any snow sock in my opinion. 

I switched from the standard Yokohamas to the cross climates on my NX some months ago and found them much quieter. The ride is also more compliant, and the road holding much better.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We have always lived quite rural and hilly. I tried snow socks on my last car and they were fine on the flat/slight incline. First proper hill wheels spun and the sock came off and wrapped itself around the drive shaft.  Wouldn't recommend socks based on my experience. I don't think your allowed chains in this country unless the road is covered with a certain amount of ice.  If you can't go winter/all season I'd recommend keeping wellies in the boot!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a IS250 from new until very recently. Loved the car but awful in snow. In Liverpool though it rarely snows. I bought snow socks for it 7 years ago after the last really bad winter. They sat in my boot each winter unused until last year. An unpredicted snow storm last year resulted in a lot of roads being ungritted. I used the snow socks and they worked really well. Better traction than the 4 x 4’s BUT it’s flat round here so I did not try them on a hill. Took about 10 minutes to get them on and 5 minutes to get them off again.