Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What! No CarPlay!?!

Habu

Lexus UK has confirmed that the UK UX will be devoid of CarPlay and can’t confirm that the ES will have it either.

Can anyone confirm either way with an ES in the showroom as I thought CarPlay was coming to UK models?  Poor if Lexus has omitted it as not every Lexus driver is old and thinks having a CD drive in the car is wonderful. 😞

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 1:58 PM, Habu said:

Lexus UK has confirmed that the UK UX will be devoid of CarPlay and can’t confirm that the ES will have it either.

Can anyone confirm either way with an ES in the showroom as I thought CarPlay was coming to UK models?  Poor if Lexus has omitted it as not every Lexus driver is old and thinks having a CD drive in the car is wonderful. 😞

Dunno about the UK, but in this US Youtube video of the ES300H, the guy does a reasonably detailed review of Apple's Carplay @6.54. He says that Android Auto is not "yet" supported

Note the model tested has the full-size infotainment screen.

33 minutes ago, route66 said:

Dunno about the UK, but in this US Youtube video of the ES300H, the guy does a reasonably detailed review of Apple's Carplay @6.54. He says that Android Auto is not "yet" supported

Note the model tested has the full-size infotainment screen.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10174/~/which-lexus-vehicles-are-compatible-with-apple-carplay®%3F

That might help

2 hours ago, Nigel-Lexus Owner said:

Applies only to US vehicles. Lexus UK are still saying “they have no information on the integration of CarPlay”.  I’d rather they say it’s not coming this year than we have no information.

• 2 months later...

Personally I would consider the lack of CarPlay to be a feature. It forces you to use CarPlay-compatible navigation software which excludes the only one worth using - TomTom Go Mobile.

• 1 month later...

It needs to come soon.  I see the new RX coming this autumn to the UK (and therefore Europe) features CarPlay and Android Auto plus a touchscreen.  But we cannot wait for each Lexus model to get a refresh before the connectivity so I’m hoping it’ll be retrofitted to current models.  Fingers crossed.

T'would be nice but to me not essential.

A touch screen would be even better although using the current screen location it would only be good for drivers with arms like Orangutans or Gibbons! They'd need to re-think the dash layout to bring the screen closer to the driver. Perhaps they have on the new RX?

Essential, sort of, to me.  I like my apple Music connectivity through CarPlay plus better messages functionality plus use of different nav options like apple Maps and Waze.

My wife’s Mazda was upgraded to have AC and AA and it’s something she loves.

I wonder whether there is a way for all of us LOC Members to petition Lexus UK to have the upgrade - if indeed it ever comes - retrofitted to our cars where compatibility exists.

• Like 1

I understand, from Lexus UK themselves, that they are working on it but unsure of the timescale.  Someone, somewhere mentioned September 2019 as being the announcement date but time will tell.

• Thanks 1

I presume it will be a simple software update if it happens?

Unless they will roll out new build cars from September 19 with ACP but not provide a retro-install upgrade to cars pre-dating that?

Highly unlikely to be a simple software upgrade to enable this.  I believe apple require a hardware key of some sort to be installed in the technology which serves as the licence for the solution. I can’t see this being a retrofit by dealers. More likely an upgraded infotainment package rolled out across models at facelift/update points.

On 6/10/2019 at 5:01 PM, Steve44 said:

Highly unlikely to be a simple software upgrade to enable this.  I believe Apple require a hardware key of some sort to be installed in the technology which serves as the licence for the solution. I can’t see this being a retrofit by dealers. More likely an upgraded infotainment package rolled out across models at facelift/update points.

I have spoken to the dealership sales manager today and he has advised me the following....

Lexus have been in a long debate regarding EU licencing fees (US have had it a while now) for both apple Car Play and Android Auto but this has now been resolved.

They will both be available very soon as a software update which is already available to some dealers in order for them to test it on their cars rather than clients cars. It is in the form of a car specific 'dongle' which is plugged into the car although I'm not sure if the dongle will be just a vehicle to transfer files to the car or if it will have to remain in place as part of the hardware?

This has been done by my dealer already but for reasons they are investigating it caused the infotainment system in question to basically 'crash'.

They have sent it (not sure if the dongle or info system or both) to Lexus for testing and are currently unsure if it was a corrupted file, faulty hardware or a bad, imperfect program?

It's unlikely to be a major or long term issue and the good news is that ACP & AA will be available soon from your local dealership once Lexus release it into the wild for customer upgrades..

So the EU licencing issues have been resolved and it's on it's way...That's what I'm told at least, be interesting to see what other Lexus dealerships say although some may still be reluctant to admit it until it has the 'green light' from dealership testing lest they get inundated with customers requesting the update before it's ready.

My car is currently on a ship called 'Toledo' which is somewhere on the south west cost of Italy. I am also told that my car may well already have the upgrade to ACP/AA but if not they will do it at the dealership once they are happy there are no issues.

24 minutes ago, Sloth said:

I have spoken to the dealership sales manager today and he has advised me the following....

Lexus have been in a long debate regarding EU licencing fees (US have had it a while now) for both Apple Car Play and Android Auto but this has now been resolved.

They will both be available very soon as a software update which is already available to some dealers in order for them to test it on their cars rather than clients cars. It is in the form of a car specific 'dongle' which is plugged into the car although I'm not sure if the dongle will be just a vehicle to transfer files to the car or if it will have to remain in place as part of the hardware?

This has been done by my dealer already but for reasons they are investigating it caused the infotainment system in question to basically 'crash'.

They have sent it (not sure if the dongle or info system or both) to Lexus for testing and are currently unsure if it was a corrupted file, faulty hardware or a bad, imperfect program?

It's unlikely to be a major or long term issue and the good news is that ACP & AA will be available soon from your local dealership once Lexus release it into the wild for customer upgrades..

So the EU licencing issues have been resolved and it's on it's way...That's what I'm told at least, be interesting to see what other Lexus dealerships say although some may still be reluctant to admit it until it has the 'green light' from dealership testing lest they get inundated with customers requesting the update before it's ready.

My car is currently on a ship called 'Toledo' which is somewhere on the south west cost of Italy. I am also told that my car may well already have the upgrade to ACP/AA but if not they will do it at the dealership once they are happy there are no issues.

That is some encouraging news, do you know if it will cost to have the upgrade? I know other manufactures charge.

He didn't say but I got the impression that it would be a free update subject to car compatibility.

Probably only on newer models/cars but not sure.

21 minutes ago, Sloth said:

He didn't say but I got the impression that it would be a free update subject to car compatibility.

This is encouraging and is similar to the way Alfa Romeo has handled Guilia/Stelvio upgrades.  They released a newer hardware build at or just after the MY19 release of the cars, but the software followed later and in some cases was a dealer retro-fit free of charge.  However, there is a specific chassis VIN and hardware firmware version that is needed for the software upgrade to work, as these cars have the hardware which acts as the licence key for the software.  The hacker community in the East of Europe has perfected a mod to earliercars, but it involves having to retrofit a modified USB hub into the car, amend the software and firmware of the infotainment and set a code in the dealer computer against the VIN to show it was allowed.  All not particularly easy to do and of course you needed a friendly dealer to do it!

1 hour ago, Sloth said:

That's good to know, let's hope they don't charge for it. 

2 hours ago, Sloth said:

Making steady progress, @18kn; Italy the next stop.

D62F69B2-6726-4FDC-8CB3-1ABD76A550DC.jpeg

8236AD5C-5DA8-4549-B1F2-AE8DBFE9B53B.jpeg

05C4B5D3-F30C-4C72-83EE-39F24BFEB1F2.jpeg

On 12/28/2018 at 1:58 PM, Habu said:

Oyy. Stop crying. I Still have cassette player in mine and yet i enjoy it.

You know it's a car not an I pod right 😂 ?

I emailed Lexus yesterday (via the Lexus.co.uk website), asking whether apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be fitted to new cars, and whether they will be retrofitted to existing, compatible models, and I received the following response within a couple of hours:

"Thank you for your email regarding the availability of apple Carplay in the current Lexus model range. 

Lexus GB have been working on adding this to the current model ranges however at this time we don't currently have an exact date as to when this will be applied but it is a matter of importance high on Lexus's agenda going forward. 

Once a date of availability has been confirmed we will of course provide information to our customers advising on when both operating systems will be implemented and also if this will be available as a retroactive update to current vehicles as again we haven't got any dates from Lexus Japan. 

I apologise that I cannot confirm an exact date in this email but I would suggest keeping an eye on both the Lexus website and official blog and also maintaining contact with your Lexus Centre."

On 6/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, DanD said:

I emailed Lexus yesterday (via the Lexus.co.uk website), asking whether Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be fitted to new cars, and whether they will be retrofitted to existing, compatible models, and I received the following response within a couple of hours:

"Thank you for your email regarding the availability of Apple Carplay in the current Lexus model range. 

Lexus GB have been working on adding this to the current model ranges however at this time we don't currently have an exact date as to when this will be applied but it is a matter of importance high on Lexus's agenda going forward. 

Once a date of availability has been confirmed we will of course provide information to our customers advising on when both operating systems will be implemented and also if this will be available as a retroactive update to current vehicles as again we haven't got any dates from Lexus Japan. 

I apologise that I cannot confirm an exact date in this email but I would suggest keeping an eye on both the Lexus website and official blog and also maintaining contact with your Lexus Centre."

That's Lexus official answer.

My dealership advise that they have the software update but are waiting for successful trials on the dealers cars before rolling it out. Until then they are staying shtum as they want to avoid people calling to ask for the update before Lexus are happy it's OK to roll out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A couple of things to add to this topic. First, I read that BMW are making apple Car Play an extra cost, through subscription, after the first year. 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/107492/bmw-makes-apple-carplay-a-subscription-service

Second, I note that BMW don't offer Android Auto. Clearly it isn't just Lexus with some unsatisfied customers...

BIG NEWS - Lexus Australia has now confirmed that the UX will have AC and AA before the end of the year for both new and existing owners and that Lexus are finalising plans for the technology to other models including the aforementioned before years end.  There’s no mention, yet, of cost, what models are covered and how it will be implemented but it’s coming to Oz soon.

The good news is that Europe and Australia are often aligned with models and tech.  To date, Australia has not had AC and AA either so maybe the technology is getting closer for release to Europeans models too.🤞

Lexus UK still, as we all know, are saying nothing but they have been recently suggesting it’s a high priority for the business.  Maybe where Lexus Australia go we’ll be right behind them.