Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What! No CarPlay!?!

Habu

40 minutes ago, Argee said:

My dealer told me that the new RX due this Autumn will have CarPlay.

Sorry, that’s old news now.  The MY20 RX with AC and AA together with a touchscreen was unveiled as early as March 2019 but dealers are notoriously slow to get news.

cheers

Habu

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 2:19 PM, Sloth said:

T'would be nice but to me not essential.

A touch screen would be even better although using the current screen location it would only be good for drivers with arms like Orangutans or Gibbons! They'd need to re-think the dash layout to bring the screen closer to the driver. Perhaps they have on the new RX?

On 7/31/2019 at 7:04 PM, Habu said:

BIG NEWS - Lexus Australia has now confirmed that the UX will have AC and AA before the end of the year for both new and existing owners and that Lexus are finalising plans for the technology to other models including the aforementioned before years end.  There’s no mention, yet, of cost, what models are covered and how it will be implemented but it’s coming to Oz soon.

The good news is that Europe and Australia are often aligned with models and tech.  To date, Australia has not had AC and AA either so maybe the technology is getting closer for release to Europeans models too.🤞

Lexus UK still, as we all know, are saying nothing but they have been recently suggesting it’s a high priority for the business.  Maybe where Lexus Australia go we’ll be right behind them.

The Australian part may be good news. I downsized from a GS300h to a UX250h last month. CarPlay would be great as Waze is far better on congestion than built in satnav. But UX touchpad works really well and allows the screen to be further away than a touch screen, plus you don’t have all those fingerprints to wipe off. Also, unlike the GS and the C-class Merc that preceded it, the car recognises voice instructions for destinations, particularly postcodes, which the GS never did. 

• 2 weeks later...

My dealer confirmed today that car play and the Android equivalent WILL be retrofitted to models from 2017 onwards, but only to cars with the wide screen satnav.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, DanD said:

My dealer confirmed today that car play and the Android equivalent WILL be retrofitted to models from 2017 onwards, but only to cars with the wide screen satnav.

That's promising. I'm hearing more and more chatter about the fitment of AC and AA to UK models.  Even my local centre has heard news (they're normally the last to know about anything and usually ask me!) and that it could be October this year.  They expect to have more concrete news after getting back from the MY20 RX marketing event in Barcelona next month.

It'a a big deal for me as I have AC and AA in the wife's car and we both love it.  Not just for the alternative nav options but the better access to my music in Apple Music, Messages and the like.  It would be great, following iOS 13 that the third party nav could display in the HUD too as the new OS supports nav info on 2 different screens and various shaped screen (think AUDI virtual cockpit).   Fingers crossed first for AC and AA integration.

My local dealer had a visit from head office this week and that's how they found out. Stupidly, I forgot to ask when it will be available from.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, DanD said:

My local dealer had a visit from head office this week and that's how they found out. Stupidly, I forgot to ask when it will be available from.

You know what you have to do now...😗

Good news coming from Spain.

Lexus will upgrade the ES to Carplay/Android Auto for free 😀 (at least in Spain), from December.

The models that will receive this upgrade are:

- UX (version MY19 y MY20) produced from March 2019
- NX (version MY18, MY19 y MY20) from Sept 2017
- ES (version MY19 y MY20) from Oct 2018

6 hours ago, Luismigu said:

Good news coming from Spain.

Lexus will upgrade the ES to Carplay/Android Auto for free 😀 (at least in Spain), from December.

The models that will receive this upgrade are:

- UX (version MY19 y MY20) produced from March 2019
- NX (version MY18, MY19 y MY20) from Sept 2017
- ES (version MY19 y MY20) from Oct 2018

That's great news if it is made available to us in the UK

2 hours ago, jbi507 said:

That's great news if it is made available to us in the UK

Can’t see why it wouldn’t come to the UK.  More info from Joaquin Ruhi 

- Lexus Spain dealers will offer free apple CarPlay / Android Auto retrofits on the following models (if equipped with the compatible MM17 multimedia system):
UX (2019 and 2020 model years) built on March 2019 or later
NX (2018, 2019 and 2020 model years) built on September 2017 or later
ES (2019 and 2020 model years) built on October 2018 or later

- Other Lexus models are NOT compatible with apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Free dealer installation of apple CarPlay and Android Auto retrofits for eligible vehicles will start in December 2019 for vehicles WITHOUT navigation and in April 2020 for vehicles WITH navigation.

4 hours ago, Habu said:

Can’t see why it wouldn’t come to the UK.  More info from Joaquin Ruhi 

- Lexus Spain dealers will offer free Apple CarPlay / Android Auto retrofits on the following models (if equipped with the compatible MM17 multimedia system):
UX (2019 and 2020 model years) built on March 2019 or later
NX (2018, 2019 and 2020 model years) built on September 2017 or later
ES (2019 and 2020 model years) built on October 2018 or later

- Other Lexus models are NOT compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Free dealer installation of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto retrofits for eligible vehicles will start in December 2019 for vehicles WITHOUT navigation and in April 2020 for vehicles WITH navigation.

That's really good to know, I can't wait to stop using my phone for navigation and music. 

Hi,

New member here. I’ve got an ES coming into Newcastle Lexus in mid November so am very interested in the CarPlay situation. 

I emailed them this morning to ask for any further info and was told that they hadn’t heard anything about CarPlay coming to the ES yet. 

Looking at the Spanish info above, it looks like I’d be eligible for an update next year so fingers crossed and I’ll see what turns up!

I'm really looking forward to the car arriving, I had a 24 hour test drive from the dealership in a base spec car and then a press car delivered for a week that was base spec plus premium pack. I still haven’t seen one on the roads yet and the dealership haven’t done another one in my spec so it may be quite unique 😆

just raised this question with Lexus UK, who responded with the following ... not much help. 

" We have no further news at this time regarding whether apple CarPlay will be either integrated into the current ES or offered as a retro install for vehicles already produced "

I also spoke to the dealer, who  suggested it would not be offered in the UK and held back as a new feature for the facelift in 2 years.

17 minutes ago, jumbojake said:

just raised this question with Lexus UK, who responded with the following ... not much help. 

" We have no further news at this time regarding whether apple CarPlay will be either integrated into the current ES or offered as a retro install for vehicles already produced "

I also spoke to the dealer, who  suggested it would not be offered in the UK and held back as a new feature for the facelift in 2 years.

I don’t think anyone, other than Lexus UK, know for sure as my dealer thinks it'll be announced in October 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

with a Toyota dealer yesterday looking at the Camry.  They advised (hot new news)... the apple Play is coming to the Camry and Rav4.

They also showed me an existing feature called mirror mode... they claim it also allows phone integration, for using Waze.... does that exist on the Lexus.. if so, is it any good?  (Dealer never mentioned it to us)

3 minutes ago, jumbojake said:

with a Toyota dealer yesterday looking at the Camry.  They advised (hot new news)... the Apple Play is coming to the Camry and Rav4.

They also showed me an existing feature called mirror mode... they claim it also allows phone integration, for using Waze.... does that exist on the Lexus.. if so, is it any good?  (Dealer never mentioned it to us)

Mirror mode as you call it, normally does not work while you are driving. And yes I think it exist in all modern Lexus

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Toyota UK has now said that the MY20 CH-R (available from December) will have both AC and AA but it’s a new infotainment system.  It’s looking like MY20 Lexus UK cars with the MM19 infotainment system have it too but still no word for cars with the MM17 system.

just for my ignorance, what does the MM17 and MM19 systems relate to in terms of the 2019 ES models ?

I understand this is all available in the US, so the technology should support it?

2 hours ago, jumbojake said:

just for my ignorance, what does the MM17 and MM19 systems relate to in terms of the 2019 ES models ?

I understand this is all available in the US, so the technology should support it?

Our 2019 ES cars have the MM17 (multimedia 2017) version.  At least the 12.3" models do.  Future ES models will probably have the MM19 system will have AC and AA as standard but I don't know when production will commence with that new hardware.  What I need to know is when , or if, the MM17 hardware will be retrofitted with AC and AA.  Surely it can't be long?

yes, just checked, the base model in the US (also with 8" display) comes with apple carplay as standard  for the base model  (and a bit cheaper than the UK.. I guess it is missing the EU regulatory bits).. it would seem it is technicaly possible, possibly just a business decision... maybe a value add option for next year if I am syncical

Given it’s now standard on all Australian MY20 ES models (from October) I’ll be very disappointed if Toyota / Lexus Europe don’t announce something later this month.  

There’s nothing on the Lexus Australia website however about retrofitting AC and AA to earlier gen 7 ES models though.

• 2 weeks later...

The online October 2019 Lexus Owners Manual and Nav Manual (European manuals) now feature AC and AA.  Is this a sign of things to come or applicable to post October build cars only?  Either way, it shows in the manual that the applications are through the car’s Apps page.

C52FAACD-3050-4BC4-8A9E-B29686047A3C.jpeg

2266BE29-C44A-4776-82E3-9204F0FEDBB7.jpeg