Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What! No CarPlay!?!

Habu

Uk RX facelift has just been launched and includes CarPlay and Android auto as standard , so will be surprising if they don’t facelift the other models over the next few months.  As for retro fits, no mention yet.......

1 hour ago, Steve44 said:

Uk RX facelift has just been launched and includes CarPlay and Android auto as standard , so will be surprising if they don’t facelift the other models over the next few months.  As for retro fits, no mention yet.......

Surely the ES and UX won’t be due a facelift for another couple of years? I know the yanks change their models each year but not the U.K. and Europe.  I’m hoping AC and AA will be a update for current models but which years, which nav system and what models?  The upgrade may be only applicable to models with the MM17 (CY17) nav?

Hello, I´m based in Munich/Germany and ordered my first Lexus this morning, an ES 300h F Sport, for delivery in March 2020.

My dealer confirmed that Android Auto and apple Car Play are now standard equipment (at least here in Germany) when ordering a new ES - the price went up a little because of that (€350).

18 minutes ago, Lars T. said:

Hello, I´m based in Munich/Germany and ordered my first Lexus this morning, an ES 300h F Sport, for delivery in March 2020.

My dealer confirmed that Android Auto and Apple Car Play are now standard equipment (at least here in Germany) when ordering a new ES - the price went up a little because of that (€350).

Hi Lars.  Yes, it appears that models that are a factory order from October 2019 will come with both AC and AA.  I’d like to know if there is a hardware change at the factory and, if so, what. Still a bit frustrating for us 2019 owners who have no information about whether they will be retrofitted with the software.

My wife’s 2017 Mazda was officially retrofitted with AC and AA. (all post 2014 cars with the MZD infotainment system) but it was both a hardware and software change.

Habu

Hi Guys,
I am keeping a very close eye on AA/AC upgrade as well. I have a 2018 NX300h F sport. My local centre is Lexus Leeds, and they are not aware of it either, I even asked them of potential test runs - beta testers, and they are not aware (like some blogs suggest). 
Last week, I spoke to UK Lexus customer support. They are not saying "No, it is not coming" but said keep an eye our blog posts and social media. In fact, the guy on the phone shared a story that they removed some features from Toyota Aygo (yes I know 😀) to offer customer apple CarPlay. 
So something is definitely in the spin. On a flip side, Lexus Spain is the first one in Europe to declare AC/AA upgrade, with a complete statement, so customers are not in limbo (like us, UK folks).

Even though the steering is on the other side (Spain), I believe it is the same hardware as ours, so fingers crossed. 

Lexus UK should at least do the same!!

Text from their website (Google Translated),..

Original URL: Lexus Spain — España

• VEHICLES COMPATIBLE WITH apple CAR PLAY ™ AND ANDROID AUTO ™

The models compatible with the installation of apple CarPlay ™ and Android Auto ™ in your Lexus Authorized Center are:

- UX (version MY19 and MY20) produced from March 2019
    - NX (version MY18, MY19 and MY20) produced from September 2017
    - ES (version MY19 and MY20) produced from October 2018

All other Lexus models are not compatible with the installation of apple CarPlay ™ and Android Auto ™.

• STARTING DATES OF THE INSTALLATION CAMPAIGN

The installation campaign in your Lexus Authorized Center of the new software on compatible vehicles will begin in December 2019 for vehicles WITHOUT Navigator, and in April 2020 for vehicles WITH Navigator.

If your vehicle is compatible, we will perform the update for free on your next maintenance at your nearest Lexus Authorized Center.

Regards,

AQ

Nailbitiing stuff - hopefully Lexus UK follow suit. Apologies if this information is available elsewhere, is there a way to deduce the build date easily (e.g. from the VIN)? Mine came off the boat in December 2018 so am wondering if it was built before October.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:06 PM, The_Doctor said:

Nailbitiing stuff - hopefully Lexus UK follow suit. Apologies if this information is available elsewhere, is there a way to deduce the build date easily (e.g. from the VIN)? Mine came off the boat in December 2018 so am wondering if it was built before October.

Well, all UK units are Panasonic (four I have seen) 2018 plates and have following software version which fall into MY17 builds. 

Go to setting > software update and you can check. 

DCU: 17LDL2EU-DB01
MEU: 17LML2EU-FB00

The US upgrade files have NA ours have EU at the end file - NA for North America (below) - The files have leaked so they are readily available online (risky) but people have gone the DIY route. 

These files don't work but i'll refrain from even trying them on your unit! to avoid disappointment.  US systems are Panasonic and Pioneer, they don't have DAB etc but have XM Radio etc etc, they also have Enform™ App Suite and these units have always on data connection! as far I know. 

17LDL2NA-DB01 (DCU)
17LML2NA-DB01

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 7:04 PM, Habu said:

BIG NEWS - Lexus Australia has now confirmed that the UX will have AC and AA before the end of the year for both new and existing owners and that Lexus are finalising plans for the technology to other models including the aforementioned before years end.  There’s no mention, yet, of cost, what models are covered and how it will be implemented but it’s coming to Oz soon.

The good news is that Europe and Australia are often aligned with models and tech.  To date, Australia has not had AC and AA either so maybe the technology is getting closer for release to Europeans models too.🤞

Lexus UK still, as we all know, are saying nothing but they have been recently suggesting it’s a high priority for the business.  Maybe where Lexus Australia go we’ll be right behind them.

The following webpage would seem to confirm that Lexus Australia are now starting to rolll out apple CarPlay and Android Auto to future models as well as retrofitting them to older ones where existing technology allows. 

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/lexus-smartphone-mirroring-upgrade-will-cost-you-76878

Let's hope the UK isn't far behind. 

After being told yesterday by Lexus UK that my MY19 ES is not compatible with Lexus Connected ServIces but the UK MY20 ES will be I don’t know what to believe anymore.  

I got the same from a dealer today ... it will be introduced with the ES (MY20), sometime in Q1 next year, perhaps with the new prices.   He didn't know if it would be backward compatible, but had heard rumours ... seems like the waiting game goes on.....

• 3 weeks later...

AC and AA are now mentioned as standard on the UK website but only for certain models such as the ES and NX.  Having been driving the 2020 RX with it on its glorious 12.3” screen I need it in my ES too.  Pity us ‘19 early adopters have to live without it and also not have full connected service either.  Very frustrating.

On 11/9/2019 at 7:53 PM, jumbojake said:

I got the same from a dealer today ... it will be introduced with the ES (MY20), sometime in Q1 next year, perhaps with the new prices.   He didn't know if it would be backward compatible, but had heard rumours ... seems like the waiting game goes on.....

and according to the Lexus website it’s available for us with the 8” screen. I can’t believe it’s not backwards compatible as the cars are shipped from Japan where AC & AA has been standard since October 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that there are now instructions/details on the Lexus-tech website for adding CarPlay to 17CY non-navigation systems.  This appears to match the details from the Spanish site mentioned above.

Although the instructions look pretty easy to follow, it looks like it is designed for dealers to install as it mentions registering the upgrade on the warranty.

8 hours ago, pobrown said:

I notice that there are now instructions/details on the Lexus-tech website for adding CarPlay to 17CY non-navigation systems.  This appears to match the details from the Spanish site mentioned above.

Although the instructions look pretty easy to follow, it looks like it is designed for dealers to install as it mentions registering the upgrade on the warranty.

Hi, you mean BE-00197L-TME - Lexus (without navi) UX, NX, ES Retrofit MM19 (Pioneer) ?

Yes, it is a bit strange - I did troll few random NX Specifications from 2016-2018 and all have navigation. In fact the wording from US website states similar as TSB (above).

2018 LC, LS, NX, RC, and RC F and the 2019 NX, RC F, and ES (without factory navigation) produced before October 2018 require an available multimedia enhancement for CarPlay compatibility. For further information regarding the apple CarPlay | Lexus+Alexa Multimedia Update, 

Source - https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10174/~/which-lexus-vehicles-are-compatible-with-apple-carplay®%3F

It is a wait and see game! 

However, when I spoke to Lexus customer services few months ago (same support team as Toyota) - the guy mentioned that Toyota decided to remove the satnav capability from Toyota Aygo to offer AC/AA since there was no headroom (firmware size) in the system to accomodate addition features. So Aygos only have AA/AC - thats how I understood it!

I am a software engineer and at times fail to believe how rigid the car industry is when it comes to adaptation and innovation. Most of the time it is internal organisational politics/legal as opposed to the tech.  

No not at all.  Edinburgh.  Don't have an exact date but confident its April, just not sure what week, I'm diarised to get a booking once the software delivery is firmed up.  Tech's have had their training on the install, my delivery dealer, Leeds, said the same thing i.e. tech's have had the training course just waiting on the installer pack.  All seems above board 🙂

• Like 1