Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What! No CarPlay!?!

Habu

I can +1 what @Habu said. My local Lexus garage confirmed today that May 2020 will be go live on AA AC upgrade campaign, at a cost of £120. 

They are really open about the upgrade conversation and there is no hesitation anymore around this topic!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eldavo said:

A friend has just picked one of these up for his Porsche Cayman and it works really well. https://carplay2air.com

To echo above comments, a shame that the USBs are in such a stupid place!

That’s an interesting device.  It looks small enough to plug in and allow the cover to close. If it works well I’ll get one to avoid the wired look.  I’ll only use CarPlay for music and occasional nav as I’d miss the native nav instructions in the 10” HUD.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up - I phoned my local dealer and asked about it and they said it will be available around May / June.  Didn't discuss price. He told me we have to plug in the phone using the front USB ports to use it - that means we are back on the subject of having that damn flap open all the time! Unless I can get that low profile USB cable mentioned on here...

Apparently my car which I got in March 2019 is an ES1 and this years are referred to as ES2 and have Carplay and AA built in.

On a side note I have had 2 hire cars recently one of which was a low spec Seat Leon which had AA and a touch screen! I was wonderful and worked really well! I am even more mystified why a premium brand Lexus still has no touch screen, or even last year AA and car play.

1 hour ago, Gediredi said:

Just to follow up - I phoned my local dealer and asked about it and they said it will be available around May / June.  Didn't discuss price. He told me we have to plug in the phone using the front USB ports to use it - that means we are back on the subject of having that damn flap open all the time! Unless I can get that low profile USB cable mentioned on here...

Apparently my car which I got in March 2019 is an ES1 and this years are referred to as ES2 and have Carplay and AA built in.

On a side note I have had 2 hire cars recently one of which was a low spec Seat Leon which had AA and a touch screen! I was wonderful and worked really well! I am even more mystified why a premium brand Lexus still has no touch screen, or even last year AA and car play.

so Is everyone else in the car industry, except for the Lexus designers 🙂

On 3/13/2020 at 6:25 PM, Gediredi said:

Yes, definitely a slow-burner for Lexus but the MY20 RX features a touch-screen as well as AC and AA.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, how are you guys , is any body hear about that ?
apple CarPlay and android auto retrofit modulehttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047079091.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.8.4a522c32Dj6E4A

Lexus NX RX ES IS LS UX Android auto and carplay retrofit at CarSight Store
Obviously a lot of you have wondered if it was possible to install apple CarPlay
there are a lot of Chinese companies selling Android Auto/ apple CarPlay retrofit kits, I just don't see enough information about this particular company (CarSight). This is their AliExpress vendor page 

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4692109?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.3ee52eb6nZuigG

Anywho, CarSight seems to have good reviews for the units they have sold the most. Also, I have seen there are options for BMW, Audi & Mercedes from other vendors. So my question is, who is going to take the plunge and try it our because I am too scared to do it! Seems pretty legit though and I see a lot of similarities between their documentation/information and what is available from the Naviplus site & videos. What do you guys think?

On 4/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, Gaby said:

Hello, how are you guys , is any body hear about that ?
Apple CarPlay and android auto retrofit modulehttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047079091.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.8.4a522c32Dj6E4A

Lexus NX RX ES IS LS UX Android auto and carplay retrofit at CarSight Store
Obviously a lot of you have wondered if it was possible to install Apple CarPlay
there are a lot of Chinese companies selling Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay retrofit kits, I just don't see enough information about this particular company (CarSight). This is their AliExpress vendor page 

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4692109?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.3ee52eb6nZuigG

Anywho, CarSight seems to have good reviews for the units they have sold the most. Also, I have seen there are options for BMW, Audi & Mercedes from other vendors. So my question is, who is going to take the plunge and try it our because I am too scared to do it! Seems pretty legit though and I see a lot of similarities between their documentation/information and what is available from the Naviplus site & videos. What do you guys thin

Why bother if lexus will do it for you next month (although that might change now) and from the rumours / speculation it won't cost you almost £250

Yep, I had my 300h serviced just before the lock down and the dealer confirmed it will be May or June. They couldn’t confirm a cost as it depends what Lexus will charge them. I can’t see any benefit in trying out a third party especially from a dodgy dealer in China!

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well and safe. This thread went a bit quiet - we all know why! As things are coming back to some normality, I rang my local dealer to enquire if the AA AC upgrade is out. The answer was yes, followed by, but!  Yes they had received the upgrade, i.e. Lexus provided USB (software), but none of the cars in their garage (compatible) MY 17/18 would accept it nor recognise the update!  The new advised date is October 2020. 
I got my NX serviced two days before lockdown and have only driven—60ish miles to date. I am not in a rush anymore but still at the back of my mind the AA AC continues to loom :) 
Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 10:32 PM, AtomAnt said:

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well and safe. This thread went a bit quiet - we all know why! As things are coming back to some normality, I rang my local dealer to enquire if the AA AC upgrade is out. The answer was yes, followed by, but!  Yes they had received the upgrade, i.e. Lexus provided USB (software), but none of the cars in their garage (compatible) MY 17/18 would accept it nor recognise the update!  The new advised date is October 2020. 
I got my NX serviced two days before lockdown and have only driven—60ish miles to date. I am not in a rush anymore but still at the back of my mind the AA AC continues to loom 🙂 
Stay Safe! 

I heard that the upgrade to the Multimedia System with included apple Car Play and Android Auto has been moved to October. A new hardware Panasonic DCU/MEU will be installed in what they called as Panasonic DCU/MEU Parts exchanged. However, they are going to do a Multimedia System Enhancement Phase 3 installation, as the previous Phase 2 is not compatible with apple Car Play Android Auto system.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any information if Lexus has rethought their ludicrous decision to not offer retrofit to the £100,000 LC and LS? 

On 6/23/2020 at 12:08 PM, jerverd said:

I heard that the upgrade to the Multimedia System with included Apple Car Play and Android Auto has been moved to October. A new hardware Panasonic DCU/MEU will be installed in what they called as Panasonic DCU/MEU Parts exchanged. However, they are going to do a Multimedia System Enhancement Phase 3 installation, as the previous Phase 2 is not compatible with Apple Car Play Android Auto system.

I've just called Derby (UK) Lexus to book my 2019 ES in for service and to have Carplay installed, which I was told three weeks ago was due for release in two weeks. It would appear the Carplay update has indeed been pushed out until October "Due to Covid" (which appears to be the plaster for almost every sore at the moment), frustrated and disappointed 

Indeed disappointing -  there is nothing on Local (Technical Service Bulletin) TSB or Global TSB. I do check occasionally! 

Latest local TSB only has guidelines for extended warranties due to covid19 or how to handle vehicles 

image.thumb.png.2d1cabbb26fb9be226814eab246ec700.png

Global TSB only lists Navigation update (which is not AA /AC)!

image.thumb.png.119a880e377e0a521be7245cf4fc8119.png

However, I do feel that Lexus Spain at-least articulates messages clearly, and that has been my (good marketing practice) benchmark. The date does coincide with my local dealer (Leeds) and what others have said in this thread i.e October 2020. 

image.thumb.png.421b33cf0c9c6ba55c82bd33d4c90ed2.png

Time will tell! #StaySafe 

I just hope they don't forget those who have sunk 100 grand into their cars - and who at the moment they are lying to by saying they can't get CarPlay.

• Like 1

At this rate I will have bought a new ES before AC and AA comes out on the '19 models.  Just out of interest I'm off to my local centre this weekend to have a look at their Takumi with digital mirrors.  They do look s****y particularly with the different viewing angles and auto zooming options.  I'll get some snaps.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, bartolini9 said:

Could you post the instruction how it was? Just to place the USB sticks into the port one by one? Thanks.

More or less. You may download the TSB and files from https://www.lexus-tech.eu/. I wont post it here due to possible copyright.. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mikael Blom said:

More or less. You may download the TSB and files from https://www.lexus-tech.eu/. I wont post it here due to possible copyright.. 

@Mikael Blom thank for sharing. I just checked that my NX300h/MM17 is now also compatible and feels like everything should work. Normally, I am not worried about these things, but at the beginning of TSB it warns you about upgraded vehicle through the warranty channel  recommendation clause and then at the end of TSB there are possible failure codes which means the head unit can be bricked, as such no warranty will be provided. I have the files - it is pretty straight forward but will be thinking tonight to save dealer £145 vs almost free (DIY) upgrade! but the answer is; it is there - Yaaaaaay! good news on that part. 

How the hell do you actually download the files? I registered and logged in to lexus-tech.eu went to basket / add to basket / search - entered BE-00436L-TME for Lexus ES300h  model 2018 -   Clicked search and found the TSB BE-00436L-TME. There is a blue eye logo to the right clicked it and.. nothing. Tried Chrome, Firefox, made sure pop up blockers disabled, deleted cookies.. am I missing something stupid?