Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What! No CarPlay!?!

Habu

8 minutes ago, Gediredi said:

How the hell do you actually download the files? I registered and logged in to lexus-tech.eu went to basket / add to basket / search - entered BE-00436L-TME for Lexus ES300h  model 2018 -   Clicked search and found the TSB BE-00436L-TME. There is a blue eye logo to the right clicked it and.. nothing. Tried Chrome, Firefox, made sure pop up blockers disabled, deleted cookies.. am I missing something stupid?

You need to buy a "time slot" (known as Online Subscriptions) on the website before you can access the TSB fully. There are various slots available at various prices. The 1 hour time slot costs roughly £3. There should be a link to these subscriptions on the website homepage. 

Hope this helps and good luck with the upgrade if you decide to do it. 

10 minutes ago, Gediredi said:

How the hell do you actually download the files? I registered and logged in to lexus-tech.eu went to basket / add to basket / search - entered BE-00436L-TME for Lexus ES300h  model 2018 -   Clicked search and found the TSB BE-00436L-TME. There is a blue eye logo to the right clicked it and.. nothing. Tried Chrome, Firefox, made sure pop up blockers disabled, deleted cookies.. am I missing something stupid?

I was facing same. Pls go directly to this website and buy one of the subscription. Then you can choice desired TSB to review.

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/OnlineSubscriptions.aspx

22 minutes ago, AtomAnt said:

@Mikael Blom thank for sharing. I just checked that my NX300h/MM17 is now also compatible and feels like everything should work. Normally, I am not worried about these things, but at the beginning of TSB it warns you about upgraded vehicle through the warranty channel  recommendation clause and then at the end of TSB there are possible failure codes which means the head unit can be bricked, as such no warranty will be provided. I have the files - it is pretty straight forward but will be thinking tonight to save dealer £145 vs almost free (DIY) upgrade! but the answer is; it is there - Yaaaaaay! good news on that part. 

When I put my VIN in, it only shows the update for MM19 and not MM17

2 minutes ago, jbi507 said:

When I put my VIN in, it only shows the update for MM19 and not MM17

correct the header says this but when you read the install instructions after subscribing it states MM17 as well 😉 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gediredi said:

Once logged into the portal, click on repair and select Repair manual from the list  > enter VIN. it will take you to subscription page > pay for download window.

Then go back to TSB, enter your VIN again and then you will have access to TSB material. 

Good Luck 🙂

6 minutes ago, Andy B said:

You need to buy a "time slot" (known as Online Subscriptions) on the website before you can access the TSB fully. There are various slots available at various prices. The 1 hour time slot costs roughly £3. There should be a link to these subscriptions on the website homepage. 

Hope this helps and good luck with the upgrade if you decide to do it. 

Thanks Andy!  and Bartolini9 - timely warning about the possibility of bricking the head unit! Not sure I want to be the first in the UK to try it. In the TSB does it give a list of dependencies / conditions? i.e. existing head unit type and existing software number?

Model ID  DCU:17LDLMEU-DB00

MEU:17MLMEU-FB00

2 minutes ago, AtomAnt said:

Once logged into the portal, click on repair and select Repair manual from the list  > enter VIN. it will take you to subscription page > pay for download window.

Then go back to TSB, enter your VIN again and then you will have access to TSB material. 

Good Luck 🙂

FYI, for me https://www.lexus-tech.eu/OnlineSubscriptions.aspx was ending up with server error hence I used above to navigate through. 

Good news for ES, UX and NX owners.

But as for the £100k LC and LS buyers - there is a reply to a Lexus UK Blogpost saying that LC retrofit is in the works...nothing about LS. And again, that's just a reply to a comment on the blog post - nothing overly official.

Come on Lexus...

Hey all! I just signed up today but have been following this thread for some days now.

Just to let you know that this morning I took the plunge and updated my UX250h with the stuff being talked about here. I searched using my VIN to be sure I was eligible for it.

All went buttery smooth, there was just a moment where it did seem to stall for a couple of minutes, that was at 50% of the last sub-phase (USB3, "Pre Install" phase), but then it completed succesfully and after one last autostart and some seconds I reached the final confirmation page.

Used an 8GB stick as USB1, a 256GB Kingston SD card as USB2 and a 128GB SD card as USB3, both cards used with a Lexar card reader. Everything formatted with SD Card Formatter on Windows 10.

Basically: USB1, procedure starts by itself after some seconds --> Reboot when asked WITHOUT removing the stick --> Remove USB1 when told so and insert USB2 --> Manually start the update and allow it to proceed --> Turn engine off and back on when told so --> Remove USB2 and insert USB1 again, wait several seconds (30-40) until it starts by itself --> Remove USB1 when told so, turn engine off and back on --> Insert USB3 --> Manually start the update --> This one involves several autostarts and phases, just wait --> Remove USB3 when told so --> Turn engine off and back on --> Insert USB2 --> Manually start the update --> This will update audio to the latest 1075 release --> Turn engine off, wait 1 minute, turn it on and wait 2 minutes --> Done!

I had to reconfigure settings (language, time, ...) and to recouple my phone, but link to MyLexus was kept, it wasn't necessary to reconfigure the account.

As soon as the unit succeeds in connecting to internet, you'll get a message about you having succesfully migrated to MM19.

Only thing left if you want is to update Navigation software from the installed 1120 release to the latest 1140. Has to be downloaded separately as it's not included in the packages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Fafner said:

Hey all! I just signed up today but have been following this thread for some days now.

Just to let you know that this morning I took the plunge and updated my UX250h with the stuff being talked about here. I searched using my VIN to be sure I was eligible for it.

All went buttery smooth, there was just a moment where it did seem to stall for a couple of minutes, that was at 50% of the last sub-phase (USB3, "Pre Install" phase), but then it completed succesfully and after a last autostart and some seconds I reached the final confirmation page.

Used an 8GB stick as USB1, a 256GB Kingston SD card as USB2 and a 128GB SD card as USB3, both cards used with a Lexar card reader. Everything formatted with SD Card Formatter on Windows 10.

Basically: USB1, procedure starts by itself after some seconds --> Reboot when asked WITHOUT removing the stick --> Remove USB1 when told so and insert USB2 --> Manually start the update and allow it to proceed --> Turn engine off and back on when told so --> Remove USB2 and insert USB1 again, wait several seconds (30-40) until it starts by itself --> Remove USB1 when told so, turn engine off and back on --> Insert USB3 --> Manually start the update --> This one involves several autostarts and phases, just wait --> Remove USB3 when told so --> Turn engine off and back on --> Insert USB2 --> Manually start the update --> This will update audio to the latest 1075 release --> Turn engine off, wait 1 minute, turn it on and wait 2 minutes --> Done!

I had to reconfigure settings (language, time, ...) and to recouple my phone, but link to MyLexus was kept, it wasn't necessary to reconfigure the account.

As soon as the unit succeeds in connecting to internet, you'll get a message about you having succesfully migrated to MM19.

Only thing left if you want is to update Navigation software from the installed 1120 release to the latest 1140. Has to be downloaded separately as it's not included in the packages.

Outstanding - bold and excellent outcome! 
When you say connect to the internet; you mean the car's wifi? I prepared my USB sticks last night and will be trying this weekend. I also confirmed with three dealers - they still don't know about this TSB. Plus, this TSB does not show up under local TSB section (the UK in this case). Irrespective of that I'll try! If things don't go to plan, then the replacement Panasonic unit from dealers is Approx £3,500 😉 does not include reprogramming or fitting.  So I better not brick my MM17 unit! 

40 minutes ago, AtomAnt said:

Outstanding - bold and excellent outcome! 
When you say connect to the internet; you mean the car's wifi? I prepared my USB sticks last night and will be trying this weekend. I also confirmed with three dealers - they still don't know about this TSB. Plus, this TSB does not show up under local TSB section (the UK in this case). Irrespective of that I'll try! If things don't go to plan, then the replacement Panasonic unit from dealers is Approx £3,500 😉 does not include reprogramming or fitting.  So I better not brick my MM17 unit! 

I'm tethering from my S10 using Bluetooth. Guess it should work with wi-fi tethering as well.

I updated my nx300h last night and as @Fafner described its was pretty simple.

@AtomAnt and to everyone else that is worried about bricking their system. The only way it will happen is if you decide to turn the car off or remove the USB drives while it's in the middle of an update. I'm sure most people are more than competent to follow simple ikea style instructions. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jbi507 said:

I updated my nx300h last night and as @Fafner described its was pretty simple.

@AtomAnt and to everyone else that is worried about bricking their system. The only way it will happen is if you decide to turn the car off or remove the USB drives while it's in the middle of an update. I'm sure most people are more than competent to follow simple ikea sytle instructions. 

Then it has to done before the weekend 🙂 Thanks. BTW risk assessment is a must have.

1 hour ago, Fafner said:

All went buttery smooth, there was just a moment where it did seem to stall for a couple of minutes, that was at 50% of the last sub-phase (USB3, "Pre Install" phase), but then it completed succesfully and after one last autostart and some seconds I reached the final confirmation page.

A wonderful first post Andrea. Welcome to L.O.C.

Just had my 1st service (about 6 months later than planned) and spoke to Lexus Newcastle about the issue with my Nav always resetting to North as soon as you come out of the screen. 

Despite guidance on here I’d been unable to apply the updates but discussed this with the tech and also enquired about CarPlay at the same time. He told me they’d just got the CarPlay update info down this week but haven’t had the opportunity to test it out yet  also confirmed that my nav was “bonkers” and they couldn’t understand why it was resetting that and other settings. Suggested they could update my nav and also use my car as a guinea pig for CarPlay too - was told the request has been put in and they’ll give me a call when it’s ready to apply 👍

Hello Everyone, I begin my statement by saying "Do not try this at home." I feel there is a bug in the process/code (i.e. software), and not everyone is experiencing the same outcome. In my case, it is a "fail". Well done to all who managed to upgrade their NX, ES.
Indeed, TSB BE-00436L-TME is designed for MM17 units that eventually become/behave as MM19 systems, but for my 2018 NX300h, it did not work. I followed the instructions to the dot as per the TSB notes. Used my spare Windows 10 laptop with correctly formatted FAT32 labelled disks and at USB disk3, circa 85 minutes into the overall process, the system failed with Error code:001 - which means update failed car parameter. 
Removing the USB disk and starting the car brought everything back to the original state but I am not attempting it again till for some time or revert to my local dealer! 
There is no way to check that the process will work (even though you verify Audio and Navigation Versions); you dive into it and hope you (the head unit) can swim ( the best analogy I can come up with). 
Of course, I did a lot of research afterwards to see if there is a fix and both Lexus / Toyota units suffer from this issue; success/failure is very intermittent. Some Spanish forums are suggesting deleting and manipulating some files names, but I feel, that is playing with fire! 
My suggestion is to wait if you can. I know it is very tempting, but it is pure luck, and it shouldn't be like this.
Oh, I had to update my maps to 2020 v1 else the 1st USB disk wouldn't even recognise the system. Disk 1 and Disk 2 was success Disk 3 (fail).
At the end of disk 2 reboot, my software versions were updated. 
Some photos and an animated GIF showing Error code:001 

3X Disks prepped as per TSB  and labelled 

IMG_7152.thumb.jpg.1c2f60fd0a6a3c59807907e23829e045.jpg

Software  versions post USB2 install (success). 

2020-09-20_14-26-05v.thumb.jpg.8a28c04449223fb27eb0e18c525e76f4.jpg

Failure  - USB3 ( Animated GIF)

image.thumb.png.db72701838aaed7e158aedca90c34a64.png

Edit: seems like the animated GIF did not work. adding the Error code screen 

image.thumb.png.8cd881010e672f3df6fd75d97410598b.png

Wow, that’s annoying. Especially if what you’re saying is that it is a bit of a lottery. 
My update was flawless. The 3rd stick part took ages (about 40 minutes) with repeated reboots but went exactly as detailed. Due to the way USB 3 installs the update (It clearly puts the unit into some kind of developer/diagnostic mode) I thought that would be the most likely point of failure. 
Lexus obviously expect it to fail occasionally or they wouldn’t detail the various error codes in the TSB.

Only thing I can think of is an error when reading to USB. Highly unlikely though. 

No idea what the next step for your system is - based on your current model numbers, the MEU has been updated to MM19 but the DCU is still on MM17.   Technically using USB 3 should start that part of the upgrade again. I’d guess that you wouldn’t want to at the moment but if you did I’d use a different stick with the files freshly copied onto it. 

5 minutes ago, pobrown said:

Wow, that’s annoying. Especially if what you’re saying is that it is a bit of a lottery. 
My update was flawless. The 3rd stick part took ages (about 40 minutes) with repeated reboots but went exactly as detailed. Due to the way USB 3 installs the update (It clearly puts the unit into some kind of developer/diagnostic mode) I thought that would be the most likely point of failure. 
Lexus obviously expect it to fail occasionally or they wouldn’t detail the various error codes in the TSB.

Only thing I can think of is an error when reading to USB. Highly unlikely though. 

No idea what the next step for your system is - based on your current model numbers, the MEU has been updated to MM19 but the DCU is still on MM17.   Technically using USB 3 should start that part of the upgrade again. I’d guess that you wouldn’t want to at the moment but if you did I’d use a different stick with the files freshly copied onto it. 

Thanks @pobrown - Earlier today, I tried the USB3 retry method. The process does kick off but after 1st reboot whilst installing DCU Main - it hangs at "DCU (REPRO) Vup Completed" for ever! talking about 70ish minutes.  I used a different (new USB disk)  - trip to local Argos! 

IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.df3598c2f7859b58baff0a7c69e1cb79.JPG

Unfortunately I have report exact the same experience as AtomAnt. I have a Lexus ES 300h and also got the USB 3 error 1 in step 6 of the instructions: "update failed car parameter" and exactly the same hang as reported above when I retried.  

739509557_Screenshot2020-09-20at17_27_53.thumb.png.bb9ca95d51af15070b121bc13f3474f5.png

Also in my case the MEU was updated and all works fine except Lexus online is not functioning anymore (enable button does not respond). Can't even get to the point to login (checked this with retrieving the weather):

784177567_Screenshot2020-09-20at17_27_37.thumb.png.8e46e8e9aababfd3c9d1d328eb939d31.png

I assume this is due to a mismatch between the MEU and DCU software versions.

40 minutes ago, cmsmits said:

...so in my case the MEU was updated and all works fine except Lexus online is not functioning anymore (enable button does not respond). Can't even get to the point to login (checked this with retrieving the weather):

784177567_Screenshot2020-09-20at17_27_37.thumb.png.8e46e8e9aababfd3c9d1d328eb939d31.png

I assume this is due to a mismatch between the MEU and DCU software versions.

With regards to Lexus Online not working, have you checked that your system is connected to the internet (either by your phone's hotspot or Bluetooth)? The reason I ask is that an early stage of the upgrade wipes all previous system settings, including WiFi. I had this issue following my upgrade and needed to re-establish the WiFi connection to fix it. 

7 minutes ago, Andy B said:

With regards to Lexus Online not working, have you checked that your system is connected to the internet (either by your phone's hotspot or Bluetooth)? The reason I ask is that an early stage of the upgrade wipes all previous system settings, including WiFi. I had this issue following my upgrade and needed to re-establish the WiFi connection to fix it. 

This is not a Wifi / Bluetooth connection issue, this applies to my failed upgrade situation as well. I have tried all combinations. This shall only be fixed after a successful upgrade as  far as I can understand. 
And it is happening to all the folks who were presented with “red screen of death” ( yeah, I made it up). Most toyota forums are full of this. 
Clearly, Lexus would know a way out of this. The upgrade is in its early days. I am sure a fix will be available once it is done at scale. Or a  supplement TSB; I feel Lexus missed the scale/unit testing on this upgrade (EU version).
It is disappointing but I am not worried at this moment in time. 
lets a wait a little bit more 😉 

@AtomAnt @cmsmits it's strange that it didn't work for you guys, there must be something different about your systems. 

I'm sure you guys will just wait for lexus to sort it out. 

@ColinBarber as for those instructions I wouldn't even try them and I am a software engineer. Only because without any debugging tools you don't know why it's throwing those errors and the last thing you want to do is mess around with the install and potentially brick your system. Might as well wait for maybe a few months, and let lexus get out a patch. 

15 minutes ago, jbi507 said:

@ColinBarber as for those instructions I wouldn't even try them and I am a software engineer. Only because without any debugging tools you don't know why it's throwing those errors and the last thing you want to do is mess around with the install and potentially brick your system. Might as well wait for maybe a few months, and let lexus get out a patch. 

The whole thing is at your own risk but if you have partially affected your system with a failed update then don't expect Lexus to be fixing it for free under warranty.