Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

OB2 port and software

Hi everyone, 

I'm thinking of buying one of those wireless OBD2 ports and see if it can connect to my mobile via an app.

Does anyone have any experience using it?

Any recommendations?

i use carista with an elm 327 Bluetooth obd2 adapter, before buying the elm

make sure its compatible with the carista app as many aren't or

alternatively buy the carista adapter.

i have used the app to reset hybrid errors and also airbag alarms

so pretty useful to have with you.

My suggestion for hybrid Lexus cars is to download the android app "Hybrid Assistant" to understand and optimize driving style. Besides in their site developers gice some suggestion about OBD adapters (they don't sell adapters). 

To read and delete errors and changing some settings Carista is good, while for general purpose OBD scanning usually buying an adapter you have demo versions apps (also for iPhone).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 9:43 AM, 200h said:

i use carista with an elm 327 bluetooth obd2 adapter, before buying the elm

make sure its compatible with the carista app as many aren't or

alternatively buy the carista adapter.

i have used the app to reset hybrid errors and also airbag alarms

so pretty useful to have with you.

I've done some research on those elm 327 adapters and apparently the cheapest you could get away with is vgate icar 2, 

I'll probably get the pro model as it has faster response rate.

Will definitely give carista a go, but I'm not convinced by their pricing model. 

Please do correct me if I'm wrong

i'm sure i have the vgate adapter ,

you are best to ask the seller if the adapter is compatible with the carista app

if it doesn't send it back to them and get a refund.

i have noticed the cheaper elm's that dont work only have 1 circuit board in them

the ones that work have 2 circuit boards, with carista giving you dealer diagnostic

functions i think it uses a different protocol hence why the cheaper single circuit boards

dont work .

regarding pricing mine is a one off payment for lifetime subscription ,

i bought mine when the app first started.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, Zotto said:

My suggestion for hybrid Lexus cars is to download the android app "Hybrid Assistant" to understand and optimize driving style. Besides in their site developers gice some suggestion about OBD adapters (they don't sell adapters). 

To read and delete errors and changing some settings Carista is good, while for general purpose OBD scanning usually buying an adapter you have demo versions apps (also for iPhone).

Hi Zotto,

I have downloaded the Hybrid Assistant app as per your suggestion but, I keep getting a message that says "You must read and check the boxes in the usage tab"  I have read everything in the usage tab but there are definitely no boxes to check.. Am I doing something wrong, did you get a similar problem when you first downloaded the app?

many thank.

It' s only a disclaimer, go to end of message and tap "agree" , then you have to select OBD interface via Bluetooth; obviously you have to enable BT in android phone and pairing. For any doubt, in site there are all explanations, being a very complete app with a lot of info available. In addition, the added app "Hybrid reporter" creates a report of trip or also multiple sessions done with HA for evaluation of your driving, mpg etc. A must for every hybrid car driver that likes to find hypermiling and understand hybrid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zotto said:

It' s only a disclaimer, go to end of message and tap "agree" , then you have to select OBD interface via Bluetooth; obviously you have to enable BT in android phone and pairing. For any doubt, in site there are all explanations, being a very complete app with a lot of info available. In addition, the added app "Hybrid reporter" creates a report of trip or also multiple sessions done with HA for evaluation of your driving, mpg etc. A must for every hybrid car driver that likes to find hypermiling and understand hybrid.

OK Zotto I've got that now thank you.  I will have to get an OBD adaptor, any particular recommendation for an NX?  Where does the OBD plug in, is it easily accessible?  I've never really thought about having/using one before.

EDIT:  Just had a thought, if this needs a Bluetooth connection, can I have more than one such connection in my car?  The reason that I ask is that my phone is connected by Bluetooth when I'm in the car.

The developers suggest which OBD adapters work best, there are some ones to avoid being too slow, personally I use a iCar2 interface, not the best one but a bit cheaper, it's important to use a android phone or tablet without using other apps at the same time (all is well explained in developers site). 

The OBD plug is near pedal looking "up"  , not sure exactly where having a RX and driving not on left side of street 😄 

Not being very 'with it' techie-wise, can someone give me a brief idea on why there would be subscriptions attached to an OBD and what do you get for your outlay.   This is purely from an interest point of view as opposed to any thoughts of going down that route.

Not strictly related to OBD, there are in android market many free apps and other ones requiring a payment; Carista is free for basic use but if you need to change some options in your car you have to pay, Hybrid Assistant is totally free,  other OBD apps such i.e. Torque ask a small payment.

About using OBD with Bluetooth interface in a cell phone using BT for other purposes, like phone in car connection or audio, the answer is "it depends" by many reasons, how fast is the android phone, how apps are conceived and if there could be some kind of conflict between them.

Talking back to Carista, its purpose is to read and clear errors from OBD and , paying, change some options without need going to Lexus.

HA is to control understand and use Hybrid cars at best, Torque or Dashcommand (for apple users) to read parameters and errors like Carista or HA and testing 0-60 or 1/4 miles times or accelerations.

I have just written about these apps but there are many others.

Thank you for your explanation Zotto, much appreciated.  It would seem from your explanation that as I won't be wanting to make any changes to my Lexus, then a basic OBD will most likely meet my requirements, i.e I won't need to spend money on an OBDLink LX as recommended on the Hybrid Assistant site.

Consider that Hybrid Assistant does NOT makes changes, it's purpose is to have an effective hybrid driving style. I sometimes use it with my RX 450h and iCar2 OBD interface.