Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Dash Cam Query

Regular Members may recall that whilst I was parked up in a Motel Carpark on The Continent an idiot reversed into my front bumper.

The resultant damage was barely noticeable & my Dealer said their Smart System would repair the fault.

I had to wait nearly a month for the Smart Expert to declare his system was no match for the superb Lexus Finish & he advised me to take it to a Professional Body Shop.

I informed my Insurance a month late who clearly accepted my Story  & new Bumper & Trim were fitted.

Assume if I had a Dash Cam, I simply send a File Copy of any Incident that happens to my car to my Insurers & they accept  immediately that I am not @ Fault & seek compensation from the Third Party

Secondly, I assume my 2019 Lexus  Cam (?) informs me I need to look @ its footage with the File sent to my Iphone of said Incident.

My point is I clean my Car twice per month & know its condition & the Cam requires the Trim to be pulled apart yet never covers the Sides of my Car that seems to be So attractive to Retail Park Customers.

Advice Please

Tel

1. If it were in Europe, that may complicate it a little. However, I'd have thought it'd be much more straight forward if in the UK and you caught the incident. The only exception I can think of is if the third party were not insured which is a possibility.

2. Most cameras that have parking recording (not all do) will have a G sensor that detects knocks. Sensitivity can be configured on mine. Unfortunately, closing the door is enough to trigger it when leaving the vehicle. When I return to the vehicle and power up the car, it announces the number of incidents detected in parking mode. If it's more than one incident, I can go check the car. One can collect the footage via mobile phone, or taking out the memory card and inserting into the PC.

There are some 360 degree dashcams on the market but I've no experience with them. My front and rear cam is better than nothing. A good bump to the side door would usually render an incident, a recording of them parking up, and hopefully enough to confront them or an insurer with.

You would think the 360 degree view OEM must come from the door mirrors could be easily modified to monitor side incidents.

My NX will have this feature which clearly shows the entire area around the car.

If I can source the Lexus Cam the above convinces me that the rear needs cover too.

A reordered Incident that shows you were not to blame should erase any liability on your part even if the vehicle is stolen & you are parked in the Tuscan Countryside 

The big rip-off with insurance is even if you are shown not to be at fault in any way you can guarantee your insurance will still go up the following year...! The reason from the insurance company being if you have had one accident (although not at fault and maybe not even in the car) you are a higher risk of having another... go figure!