Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keep, scrap or save and get a 430?

5 minutes ago, skyway said:

I am only up the road from you If you wanna have a look at mine sometime, I am just south of crewe

Thanks! I would definitely be interested in doing that at some point. Especially if I look at a 430. Never even sat in one. Thanks skyway. 

Having spraffed on earlier in this thread about how I feel the same as Matt... the irony is, when my mate had my LS400 for those 4 years, whenever he mentioned getting rid of the car due to upcoming repair bills I always told him in the strongest possible terms... DON'T DO IT! I always said he should go 'Alistair Darling' on it and spend "whatever it takes" to keep the best car he's ever going to drive on the road. Perhaps I knew I might get it back one day :wink3: 

Now the shoe is on my foot!! :smile1: Well, today, I finally got around to disconnecting the wind screen washer level sensor so I no longer have to look at the little orange warning light on the dash (should have done that years ago, took 5 mins) also cleaned the pollen filter (it was filthy). Sunny afternoon here, so took I it out for a drive just for the pleasure and stared thinking... perhaps I'm keeping this one for a little longer... it still drives so beautifully. Better the devil you know sometimes. I've purchased a set of ECU caps, just need to find a local PCB merchant to solder them in. Would try myself as I'm OK with a soldering iron... but I have a feeling OK is not going to be good enough. Also ordered a new 12v car Battery as the current one is dead. Once that's all sorted, the rear coil spring is next.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stupot said:

Having spraffed on earlier in this thread about how I feel the same as Matt... the irony is, when my mate had my LS400 for those 4 years, whenever he mentioned getting rid of the car due to upcoming repair bills I always told him in the strongest possible terms... DON'T DO IT! I always said he should go 'Alistair Darling' on it and spend "whatever it takes" to keep the best car he's ever going to drive on the road. Perhaps I knew I might get it back one day :wink3: 

Now the shoe is on my foot!! :smile1: Well, today, I finally got around to disconnecting the wind screen washer level sensor so I no longer have to look at the little orange warning light on the dash (should have done that years ago, took 5 mins) also cleaned the pollen filter (it was filthy). Sunny afternoon here, so took I it out for a drive just for the pleasure and stared thinking... perhaps I'm keeping this one for a little longer... it still drives so beautifully. Better the devil you know sometimes. I've purchased a set of ECU caps, just need to find a local PCB merchant to solder them in. Would try myself as I'm OK with a soldering iron... but I have a feeling OK is not going to be good enough. Also ordered a new 12v car battery as the current one is dead. Once that's all sorted, the rear coil spring is next.

A sound decision I'm sure.

Sorry to butt in on this post, but messi and The-Acre mentioned rust on the front doors being a problem on the LS430. Is it an obviously seen fault or is it hidden until it's too late, my door's look good but if it's hidden I don't mind checking it out and rectifying before it does become a problem.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you messi, one further question please is the rust generated from inside the door panel or salt and debris trapped behind the plastic door sill?

Damn, that means I have to remove the door card's and go routing. Anyway thanks for the reply. It'll give me chance to do a good lube job, after 16yrs it probably needs it though.

2 minutes ago, Pidster said:

Damn, that means I have to remove the door card's and go routing. Anyway thanks for the reply. It'll give me chance to do a good lube job, after 16yrs it probably needs it though.

I had the door rust bubble on a previous 430 and it was just surface rust. The paint shop that did it said it was really nothing, it just needs catching early.  Sorry Messi, it does start from the outside. You just need to run a finger along where the chrome strip is to feel any high spots. Caught early it can be touched in without the need for a professional job. Also keeping the area clean will help, get a gentle brush and keep dirt out of the gap above the chrome.

• Like 1