Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is there a way to auto lock the doors when driving?

Hi,

I am a novice with my new GS450H (2014) and I was wondering if there is a way to automatically lock the doors when I am driving the car rather than manually locking all doors? I had this setting with all previous cars and really like to have this on. I have 2 kids and I have put the child locking system with back doors but I would like this feature to be automatic as I do sometimes forget to lock the doors when I am driving.

I have been checking the setting and there is plenty to unlock the doors but nothing about locking the doors... I have done some research online and some suggested that the locking was removed from the setting? I look forward to your assistance.

Thank you.

I have auto-locking on my late 2013 RX450h but I believe the facility was removed in 2014 because of safety fears - something to do with not being able to unlock the doors in the event of a crash.

Just now, Herbie said:

I have auto-locking on my late 2013 RX450h but I believe the facility was removed in 2014 because of safety fears - something to do with not being able to unlock the doors in the event of a crash.

Thank you for your reply. I see, but I thought the system would be set for unlocking doors in the even of a crash. But if this is the case, then I will have to remember to manually lock doors when driving...

9 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

My 2016 GS allows this, either linked to the gear selector or once the vehicle start moving. I believe it is set via the infotainment vehicle settings rather than the dashboard display.

Thanks, will try when I am next driving the car...

Strange, because I thought you could set it to lock automatically as well, but according to my manual there are only options for unlocking.

The settings are indeed in the infotainment options via vehicle customizations in the car setup menu.

Perhaps it is one of those options that you need TechStream for?

20 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Strange, because I thought you could set it to lock automatically as well, but according to my manual there are only options for unlocking.

The settings are indeed in the infotainment options via vehicle customizations in the car setup menu.

You have me doubting myself now, will have to check when I use my car to go to work tomorrow. According to my manual you can set lock and unlock via the remote touch (1) or dealer (3) - you can use Techstream for this but something easier to use such as Carista would be recommended. Mine is a 2016 model so all options may not be available to older ones.

1811445186_ScreenShot2019-01-01at19_13_28.thumb.png.27485dc4d0b8779a10e387845b2be096.png

20 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

If no one can help, I will ask Lexus staff when I bring the car back this week to sort a few bits and bobs...

@ColinBarber My manual is indeed different to yours then.

My (paper) manual says the following:

20190101_195436.thumb.jpg.c47fbae03f428df2a7bfc7cc904db2da.jpg

Strangely, the online manual that is from the Lexus website is different again to either of ours and looks like this:

Capture.thumb.JPG.692a72511cd394aa81999c2fc008fb33.JPG

I am curious to know if TechStream can do it though since I vaguely recall seeing something like it the last time I had it hooked to my car.

Either way, I would be surprised if it couldn't be done by some means..

19 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

My 2016 GS allows this, either linked to the gear selector or once the vehicle start moving. I believe it is set via the infotainment vehicle settings rather than the dashboard display.

My 2015 GS and previous 2014 IS300h F Sport both had auto locking, so I was very surprised there was no option on the 2015 RX450h. 

That is the power of a lawsuit in America for you. 

I understand newer versions now have the auto locking so there must be an improved unlocking safety system. 

We have been looking for this option in our 2015 GS also. I watched a video for how to set the option and it's exactly where we were looking - vehicle customisation menu. 

As said, I think it's been removed. 

I'm working on plan B, however. 

On my Leaf there is no standard auto-lock option, but using an android app called LeafSpy with an OBD dongle allowed me to set it. 

It seems that it may be possible to set on the GS using an app called Carista - I will test it out tonight and report back. 

Techstream is another alternative, but it looks like Carista will do what I want without having to faff with USB and a laptop. 

9 minutes ago, i-s said:

We have been looking for this option in our 2015 GS also. I watched a video for how to set the option and it's exactly where we were looking - vehicle customisation menu. 

On my Leaf there is no standard auto-lock option, but using an android app called LeafSpy with an OBD dongle allowed me to set it. 

It seems that it may be possible to set on the GS using an app called Carista - I will test it out tonight and report back. 

Techstream is another alternative, but it looks like Carista will do what I want without having to faff with USB and a laptop. 

My GS was a pre face-lift 2015 registered June 2015 and it had auto locks. 

Is your car a face-lift model? 

Both speed and gearshift auto locking options are available on my 2016 model via the infotainment system.

Possibly specific year change rather than at the major facelift - every year has minor changes to the vehicle spec. Or possibly an infotainment system upgrade which enabled the feature.

For those that don't have the option via the infotainment system, has anyone confirmed it is available as a Techstream/Carista option?

I can confirm that on our 2015 the option is neither available in the menus on the car nor can Carista enable it - it does not come up as an option. 

Carista was usefully able to enable global open/close from the keyfob (open/close windows and sunroof when you hold down unlock/lock button). 

However, it seems like for whatever reason, Lexus have thoroughly blocked out the possibility of autolocking of the doors. 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:50 AM, olliesgrandad said:

My understanding is that due to an accident and subsequent litigation in the USA for a while auto locking was disabled. Certainly my 2015 Advance hasn't got it. 

Dear all, I went to Lexus and popped the question about the auto lock and there appears to be the case about a lawsuit, which affected some of the vehicles between 2014 and 2015 without the auto lock as an option. So, I will have to lock the doors manually when driving...

On 1/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, i-s said:

Shame it cannot be done via Carista... Will have to use my finger to lock it each time I drive ;-(

Just now, i-s said:

See my next post in the thread for the answer. 

No. 

Thanks - I just saw your last post and re-edited my reply. Shame we cannot do it...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links