Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

cracks in tyre tread

car is just coming up to 5 years old and has done 30,000 miles,pre-mot walk round and it looks like there are cracks in between the tread on the tyres, plenty of tread on the tyres ,is this necessarily a mot failure ,i think the tyres are original, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I have Dunlop Sportmaxx on my CT, fitted 30 months ago and there are cracks between the treads! Mine passed the MOT last time with them, coming up for a new MOT on Monday, I'll let you know if it passes again!

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cidersteve said:

car is just coming up to 5 years old and has done 30,000 miles,pre-mot walk round and it looks like there are cracks in between the tread on the tyres, plenty of tread on the tyres ,is this necessarily a mot failure ,i think the tyres are original, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Don't think cracks in the tread themselves are an MOT failure. Only the sidewall cracks are.

They don't really symbolise anything other than the tyre is old and should be replaced soon. 

that is what i was thinking rayaans, however seems a waste with the amount of tread left on the tyres, but as they are 5 years old perhaps it is a good idea to change them, really not quite sure really.

I had an 'Advisory' for 'cracks' in the tyres ( between tread) on my daughters Fiat 500 and to my they were very badly cracked so they must have to be horrendous to actually fail!

The tyre might/should have a date on it in the format of week/year ie 16/13.

paul m

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Rubber deteriorates over time and as a result cracks appear, usually mot and tyres cracks are advisory,although if in the side wall could result in a failure, I would rather play safe and have them changed as soon as is possible 😊 

13 hours ago, cidersteve said:

Not an MOT failure. The cracks have to be deep enough and wide enough for the steel belts inside to be showing.

Tyres are 5 years old and 30k on them so I don't know how much tread still left. I always end up with tyres over 5 years old and less than 20k miles done so plenty of tread but cracks beginning to show.

Cracking in itself isn't the showstopper. If the tyre hardens too much because of age you'll feel it in the drive. A sure shot sign is that it begins to lose air more quickly than the others.

I've also noticed that different brands age differently. Michelins will do a good 10 years. Dunlops get hard after 4-5. Continentals don't like even 4.

Bottom line. Not an MOT problem. Beyond that it's really a question of how bad are the cracks. I'd've thought you'd be unnerved by their look if they were really bad. Ask the tester after the MOT about their opinion.

Lots of pictures on the net as well of what really bad cracks look like.

Interested in what you said about different makes. On my previous car I decided to switch from Pirellis to .Michelins, replacing the rear ones first. Because of the low annual mileage this Pirelli/ Michelin double act extended over several years and I noticed that the Michelins retained their new tyre sheen on the sidewalls whilst the Pirellis got to look somewhat shabby. Not a big effect but noticeable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martin F said:

You mean the manufacturers who make a profit every time you buy a tyre? :lol1:

yes for sure, why not, bit like asking for an opinion on oils ................  I'm expecting they'll be as clear as the MOT Tester :whistling1:

Malc