Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Happy New Year to everyone and thanks for all the useful info on the site. I have an intermittent squealing coming from the engine when starting. It doesn’t seem to be temperature or damp related and occasionally squeals a couple of miles into a journey but never beyond that. The car is an 04 RX300 with 100k on the clock. The cam belt and auxiliary belts were changed at 80k. The Battery is in good shape. I’ve tried starting with all electrical extras turned off, so just starting the engine only and it still does, but intermittently as previously said, so not consistent. Are the alternator and a/c pulleys fixed or clutched and are there any tensioners? My car is LPG and the system parts block off easy access to the alternator and belts. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

• Like 1

Most likely alternator belt squeal. Given that your LPG components make it difficult to access, if it were me I'd just go straight for a new belt instead of an inspection and thinking that it may just need retensioning. Your text says it's an 04-plate (series 2) but your details say it's an 01-plate (series 1) - this may help but it's for series 2 cars so just be aware:

rx300alt.thumb.png.80c672c0e8684ef34a1855f2da33e65d.png

So aux belt was changed at 80k, on 100k now so if not an OEM or quality belt that was fitted then it might be starting to deteriorate and gotta be the cheapest/easiest place to start (even with LPG kit!)

paul m.

Thanks guys for the info. The car is 04 series 2, I need to update the profile. It would seem to be the belt and I do also have good spare alternator off a low mileage car, just in case. Does the belt drive just the alternator or A/C  PAS too? Can you buy the Lexus workshop manuals? I will buy a new Toyota belt to ensure quality. Does anyone else have an LPG car as I would like to chat about that also, my system has a Tartarini one. Thanks again, Paul.

@Lex Loofa Hi Paul, just sent you a message.

Here's a couple of photos of my old RX300 LPG installation. We no longer have the car as we traded her in for our current RX450h but I miss the LPG fuel savings. It's technically possible to convert a hybrid but I'm not brave enough to have it done. The hybrid is such a complex car so I don't see the point of adding another layer of complexity to it.

Anyway, the old RX300 had an 85-litre toroidal tank in the spare wheel well and a central fill point so that it was easy to fill from both sides.

The installer didn't go for a 'kit of parts' but instead chose each component as being the best for the car. It's been a couple of years since we had it converted so I can't remember exactly but I think he chose Magic Jet injectors with a KME Nevo gas ECU and I can't recall the brand of reducer he used, but together, what a brilliant system it made.

1. The FlashLube bottle
2. The gas ECU
3. The gas reducer/vapouriser.

engine.thumb.jpg.23cde4bbf0af0e27105f5f1c5df6d94a.jpg

tank.thumb.jpg.846bff8b0d884c3b2fd49ced285c316f.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links