Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unknown buttons just discovered in GS 450H (4th Gen)

Dear everyone,

I am sorry if this may sound like a cliché, but as you would know I am fairly knew with my new car and I discovered two buttons that I have no idea what they are for:

1- One small black button by the gear stick (see pic) - I pressed it a few times but nothing appears to be happening. What is it there for?

2- One discreet 'hold' button behind the steering wheel that I accidentally pressed whilst driving and it gives a notification on the dashboard stating: Hold with circle. Not sure again, I was wondering and suspect that this button would hold the position of the steering wheel? If this is case, why would hold the position of the steering wheel knowing that the roads are not straight? I might be wrong, it could be for something else?

I am hoping that you will be able to answer my 2 questions quickly... Thank you. 

20190103_143040.jpg

20190103_143054.jpg

The one by the gear lever is the shift lock. Normally you'll need to have the engine running to get the lever out of P but if you want to move the lever without firing up the engine (to dismantle something or to put the car in N so you can push it a few inches to get the bins past, for example), press that shift lock button first.

The Hold button is probably 'Hill Hold' braking, so that you don't roll back when waiting on inclines.

• Haha 1

Thank you Herbie! This makes sense now regarding the shift lock button. Also, you must be right about the hold button, I will try this next time I drive - it would also make sense too (I used to have the auto-hold button with my previous BMW car and did love this feature) and I hope it does this too! 

The Hold button engages the parking brake every time you come to a halt and means you don't need to keep your foot on the brake. It works well, especially in a long traffic jam, but you do get a bit of a jerk when you pull away again.

40 minutes ago, spacenase said:

The Hold button engages the parking brake every time you come to a halt and means you don't need to keep your foot on the brake. It works well, especially in a long traffic jam, but you do get a bit of a jerk when you pull away again.

Fantastic, I was hoping for this feature. Glad it is there! And will try this tomorrow when I drive.. thank you

1 hour ago, Nico72 said:

Fantastic, I was hoping for this feature. Glad it is there! And will try this tomorrow when I drive.. thank you

Nico, you have a wonderful car, but do try to find time to read your Handbook. It is ESSENTIAL reading for new owners.

Regards

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spacenase said:

If you give a quick jab on the accelerator before pulling away you don't get the jerk.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ll wager that you read the RC manual Pete, before you pushed any buttons you were not sure about!  :):):)

Read front to back, before I took delivery 😏

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Nico, you have a wonderful car, but do try to find time to read your Handbook. It is ESSENTIAL reading for new owners.

Regards

Thanks. I have been spending time last night reading the manual. I am getting there!

• Like 1

If anyone wants to read the manual and work out how to use the parking assistant... then let me know in simple instructions... preferably with pictures or a video 😊