Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service History refused

In a nutshell, no, they aren't. The GDPR refers to personal data and a car is not a person. As long as they don't give you the previous owner's name and address they can still give you the car's history.

However, in this day and age of 'covering one's a#s#' you'll have a hard time finding anyone willing to stick their neck out.

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

In a nutshell, no, they aren't. The GDPR refers to personal data and a car is not a person. As long as they don't give you the previous owner's name and address they can still give you the car's history.

However, in this day and age of 'covering one's a#s#' you'll have a hard time finding anyone willing to stick their nexk out.

Sadly, this is largely true.

Check out ...https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

and you might be able to piece something together.

Good luck.

The previous owners name and address is on the V5 anyway - might be worth a try to drop a polite not to them and ask them to obtain the history and pass it on to you.

I've also seen mentioned here somewhere that the dealer can print out a list of the jobs done to the car without the personal stuff?

The previous owners name and address is on the V5 anyway - might be worth a try to drop a polite not to them and ask them to obtain the history and pass it on to you.
I've also seen mentioned here somewhere that the dealer can print out a list of the jobs done to the car without the personal stuff?
I got mine printed out a few years back. All it shows is the work carried out at each service

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

The previous owners name and address is on the V5 anyway

I may be wrong but I don't think it is now, not since GDPR came into force.

17 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

The previous owner details no longer appears on the V5, and has not done for at leased 3 years.

John.

47 minutes ago, mikes5 said:

I requested service details from main dealer for my IS250 SE 2006  Nine service stamps in Service Book

They refused under DATA PROTECTION, are they correct?.

ASK them again and TELL them to redact any information relating to previous owners` Personal Information.

You require factual information relating to an inanimate object (the car) which cannot be subject to the current PERSONAL DATA REGULATIONS.

If they refuse then write to the Dealer Principal and copy the correspondence to Lexus GB.

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

The previous owner details no longer appear on the V5 as I found out when I received mine in June 

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

ASK them again and TELL them to redact any information relating to previous owners` Personal Information.

You require factual information relating to an inanimate object (the car) which cannot be subject to the current PERSONAL DATA REGULATIONS.

If they refuse then write to the Dealer Principal and copy the correspondence to Lexus GB.

As above, ask them to redact any personal data  

Lexus Reading dealership were ok to do that for me recently when I bought a used 300h from them, to prove the service history details. 

My son bought a is250 f sport last week which the selling non Lexus dealer said had full Lexus history so I rang them and asked for the reg and vin number which they gave me then rang Lexus Ipswich and asked them to check if this was the case and they happily gave me details of all the services and dealers who done this so should help you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

The previous owner details no longer appear on the V5 as I found out when I received mine in June 

The previous owner's name and address is on the V5 of our Lexus, bought last year. Maybe there is a tick box ?

In recent years, I always include all invoices when I pass a car on.  When I traded in our Honda for the Lexus,

the dealer was adamant that I supplied all of the Honda's service documents. Luckilly I'd kept them all, a habit of

being self employed for most of my working life.

A friend bought a Lexus a couple of years ago, the dealer saying he would pass the service history on. This didn't

happen despite numerous requests, so he made them take the car back.

If you sign up for the My Lexus part of the Lexus website and then register your vehicle via the VIN you will be able to access a history of work done each time the car was at a dealer:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/my-lexus/

Register your car there and then scroll down and on the right you'll see Service History - a bit further down you'll then see Full History which will take you to a page listing any work done at a dealers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Not true. I use this to write to the previous owners of my cars and ask if there’s any extra information about the car they can give me. It’s been incredibly useful. 

"My-Lexus" did not give full information but what it did give was very useful.

Perhaps Main Lexus dealer had not registered all service history and therefore  hiding behind "Data Protection"

I will get back to them, thank you all for your response I made for information.

As for my car, best car I have ever owned, Lexus have been sportive in all cases before, and the Owners club fantastic.

2 hours ago, mrfunex said:

Not true. I use this to write to the previous owners of my cars and ask if there’s any extra information about the car they can give me. It’s been incredibly useful. 

I bought my car just after the new legislation came into force. I never saw the previous V5 for my car and the new one doesn't show previous keeper. The dealer also supplied a replacement stamped service book which again doesn't show any previous keeper details. 

Thanks Royoftherovers for your advice

I now have full service from Main Dealer

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links