Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another new GS250 owner here....very happy so far!!

So after a few test drives of various models, decided on a GS250 from Lexus Sidcup. Just liked the colour combination of interior and exterior. 25k, full SH and very fresh inside and out. Its kind of ironic that I've gone for a very low miler when this is a car that you can buy with confidence at higher mileages...but there's just something comforting about the low mileage. Feels like a one older man and his set of golf clubs kind of car if you get my drift. Its usually that second day drive that you pick up on any issues or things that may annoy you but pleased to say nothing so far. Blasted up the road wondering whether it was ever going to change gear and my level of concern went up to 9/10. Only then did I realise I'd thrown the gearstick into manual mode!

Guess most of you know the characteristics of these cars so no point in me waffling on about it. 

What I will do is a quick initial comparison with my 2009 BMW E60 523i. A previous generation model which chronologically was never in direct competition but will try and highlight the differences from an owners point of view. The beemer was bought with 40k on the clock in 2014. 

Performance and handling:

The BMW came with a 2.5 standard tune straight six engine displacing around 190hp, the Lexus comes with exactly the same configuration but sticking out around 15bhp more. The 0-60 times listed are almost identical but the Lexus definitely feels quicker. Both off the mark and when cruising. The BMW was an SE and with a fairly soft ride but with a reputation for being able to put about if needed. Have to say so far there's very little to choose from quality of ride wise. Both absorb bumps extremely well but also feel reasonably taught. Handling wise the Lexus is up against a tough competitor in the E60 and at present is able to at least match it. Overall, the Lexus does feel more of a 'luxury sports' than the BMW. 

Interior and comfort:

The E60 definitely had a tad more headroom where as the GS definitely has more legroom. Both vital statistics if you are 6'4. The seats in the E60 were maybe a tad more comfortable overall though. Probably the most comfortable seats I've every owned in fact. The interior feel of the E60 was definitely a bit more old school luxury with lots of wood and tan leather. The Lexus is a superb compromise of a slightly old school feel but very much up to date too. Noise wise there is little to choose between the two. Both are extremely well insulated. Maybe a tad more road noise in the Lexus due to slightly wider tyres. However, the interior of the Lexus is absolutely silent (so far!) where as the E60 always had a few minor rattles. The BMW engine engine emitted more of a 'purr' and was probably quieter overall. The Lexus engine sounds quite a bit more sporty and is noticeably 'ticky' when cold due to the injectors. Definitely gives the impression its happy to be worked hard and will come back for more and more. 

Equipment:

My E60, like a lot of German cars came with fairly basic equipment with not that many options specified. In some ways was a step down from my old 1999 Accord Coupe. No heated seats being a glaring step back. The Lexus, whilst newer generation wins hands down here. Have yet to really explore the goodies but its laden with them. Heated/cooled seats and virtually every other useful gadget that is available. Love the mouse operated console even if opinion deems divided on this. 

Build quality

The E60 was lauded for its build quality so the Lexus is up against it here. However I'd say at this stage its honours even. Both car's feel extremely solid inside and out. Superb examples of what can be done when manufacturers put their mind to it. Lexus build quality is probably under rated in the World of motoring journalism if you ask me. 

Long term outlook and reliability

The E60 did moderately well in this respect. Generally reliable but it did come at a price. Niggles and gremlins were common throughout its ownership though. Worst being a failed boot wiring loom and several secondary engine components needing to be changed. Oil leaks were also an issue and expensive to fix. Whilst build quality was A1, I'd suggest quality of engineering was mediocre. No heat shield to protect a PLASTIC rocker cover??? The engine lifecycles are often fairly short in German cars as they try to innovate but this also means they never really get to iron out inherent issues. Not wanting to tempt fate but I'd expect the Lexus to win hands down here over time. All of my previous Japanese cars were engineered to the highest standards and I don't expect to the Lexus to be any different. The engine is a tried and tested unit that whilst not massively hi-tech and maybe not quite as fuel efficient as the E60 should not miss a beat over time. Looking forward to years of hassle free motoring. 

Thanks for reading. 

L01.jpg

L02.jpg

L03.jpg

L04.jpg

L05.jpg

l06.jpg

L07.jpg

L08.jpg

L09.jpg

L10.jpg

L11.jpg

L12.jpg

L13.jpg

• Like 4

Nice one Adam :thumbs_up:

Looks good (but then I am a bias since it is the same colour as mine :smile:), and I am envious of your interior.

Is everything alright with the car when you collected it?  Was it you who mentioned wheels that needed refurbishment?

Anyway, congrats.  Now go find some excuse to drive it :smile:

42 minutes ago, superatticman said:

...Blasted up the road wondering whether it was ever going to change gear and my level of concern went up to 9/10. Only then did I realise I'd thrown the gearstick into manual mode!...

Oh dear, you do realise you might have shortened the engine life now with such a stunt, may be to as little as 250,000 mikes... 😉

Enjoy your new drive, looking forward to seeing how your thoughts develop over the coming weeks and months.

Welcome to LOC Adam, 

Good to see another ex-BMW owner and thank you for a good write up.

I had an e60 (M-sport) and it was a great car but at this moment in my life I needed a change and some comfort! 🙂

Forgot to say, it is a nice car. I like the car interior too! Good choice! 

What fuel consumption were you getting of the bimmer and what will you get in Lexus?

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Forgot to say, it is a nice car. I like the car interior too! Good choice! 

What fuel consumption were you getting of the bimmer and what will you get in Lexus?

Around town in heavy rush hour traffic was getting about 19mpg. About right for stop start traffic. On a run though was getting around 44mpg if I stuck at 70. Fairly good for a straight 6. On the flipside I've spent over £500 on ignition coils, £300 on a flip motor, £350 on a rocker gasket. 

Am anticipating that the Lexus may be a little heavier on fuel. Just my experience but Jap petrol engines tend to excel reliability wise but aren't quite a economical as the Germans. I was getting around 40mpg yesterday at 70mph though. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

By the way had my first real day of giving the GS250 some right boot in sports mode. Usually spend most of my time queuing and driving in traffic in eco mode. Little else you can really do in Greater London. Have to say the car really shows another side to its personality when pushed. Was very impressed by the sound of that V6 when pushed past 3.5k rpm. Sounds bigger than it is to be honest. Also fairly impressed with the performance from what is seen as a brisk if not fast car. Even though the BHP isn't anything to boast about, I guess those 6 cylinders earn their corn when you need some overtaking power. 

Very impressed with this car so far. There's a certain smugness setting in that I had my my Accord V6 Coupe. And that's knowing that your ownership is (touching wood) going to be hassle free and in the long term relatively low cost. 

• Like 2