Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Farewell Lexus

With a saddened heart and mainly because of financial a financial situation I've had to say farewell to my RX450h today. I didn't want any more car finance so now I'm better off a few hundred quid a month. 

So I'd like to thank all here who I've encountered chats with. To those I may have helped and to those who have helped me you are a good crowd.

I'll keep popping by to see how things are.

I've gone back to Ford. Yes I'm a lover of Ford's and I'm back with my 3rd Titanium X Sport model which I know well. Blimey it's got more kit than my RX did. Adaptive cruise is astonishing absolutely brilliant. A superb safety feature. 

Anyway don't shout at me lol. Take care all and enjoy your fabulous cars.

• Like 6

Rich I very much liked the RX but needs must as they say.

Yes Vlady I'm back to the smelly sludgy diesels lol. What I've got tho is a damn good low miler. Out pulls the RX on any revs and is more economical. 

Oh Rich. I've constantly been on 2 Ford forums and they are excellent. Yes there are idiots but they're everywhere mores the pity.

Hi Vlad,

Sorry to jump on your post, but I have to disagree with your quote here " Out pulls the RX on any revs" I am sure it makes more noise and that is why you think it is faster than the RX450h.

Last week we had someone who could not see our RX450h and tried to park on our spot. My wife was in the car and the RX450h needed to go for a small scratch repair on the rear door. Churchill out insurance company surprised us with a up market curtsey car like this one : https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/land-rover/discovery-sport/20-sd4-240-hse-5dr-auto/spec

Very fast car my wife was saying( she drives the RX450h ) and I went to try how fast it is. Apart from very noisy diesel and turbo I did not find it faster than the RX450h. Our Lexus was ready after 3 days and my wife could not wait to get in the Lexus. We had the Discovery Sport for two extra days together with the Lexus and I can assure you, there were many tests between the two cars and even when my wife was in the Lexus, I could not beat it. I am almost sure if you have someone with Lexus RX450h near you, you can see how much faster it would be compare to the Mondeo.

I know the speed is not that important, but this is something which is in abundance in the RX450h, especially the acceleration from standing still, how smooth it is and quiet and refined ( you can not hear the engine screaming inside the car even )

I can only agree with you on the economy. The ford will be more economical.

I hope you have a trouble free motoring and watch out for RX450h on the traffic lights, they are very quick just over 7 seconds to 62 miles.

The fastest Mondeo diesel with 207 bhp engine will need 7.9 seconds and a lot of engine screaming and noise to go to 62 miles

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good post Nigerl . My RX was the f sport which I had for about 9 months. Yes a quick car but when 'raced' it would scream. Now maybe my car had a problem of sorts but nether the less not as quick as my current car. Yes it's noisier but since I have my music loud it's irrelevant. 

I'd have the RX over any land rover any day.

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'll just leave this here  😊

Nice one Herbie,

The RX 450h is very quiet and quick. I really enjoy the wast amount of power at any speed. Also how smooth acceleration is and how spookily quiet inside. Great car for 2019. 

Enjoy your RX450h’s and many trouble free miles ahead. 

Mr. Vlad, I wish you all the best. Don’t forget us and hope one day we will chat again. 

All the best. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'll just leave this here  😊

Problem with videos like this is that they're a little misleading.

I tried the same thing with a friend using a stopwatch to time how quickly 60 came up from a standing start.  We averaged 5 runs and the average came out at 6.8 seconds, a little quicker than seen in the video above which was quoted at 62mph which is what you might expect (but remember engines all differ slightly in actual power output).

We then used a quality GPS device to check speed at an indicated 60 (and this week I used a Nextbase Dashcam's GPS to do the same).  At an indicated 60mph my car is actually doing about 56mph so actual 0-60 is likely about 0.5 seconds up so closer to 7.3 seconds and to 62 would be closer to 7.5 seconds.  Splitting hairs I know, but about 7.5 is I think closer to the mark for the RX.  That's still pretty quick and quicker than most executive oil burners.  To put in perspective, that's a full second faster than a Mk1 Golf GTi or  Volvo 850T5 but slower than the Mk3 GS300 which had a tested 0-60 figure of 7.1 seconds (GS430 being 5.9 seconds).  I always thought my GS was quicker than my 3RX and had a debate with Rayaans I think it was a few years ago, who thought that the RX was the better performer.  We know that not to be the case but it doesn't detract from the surprusing turn of speed from the big RX.

I think that the equivalent BMW (the X3 is closer to the RX than the X5 in size) the X3Xdrive35i does the sprint in 5.3s, the F-Pace 3.0D does it in 6.1s and the Audi Q5 3.0tdi in 5.6s so many of these big prestige SUVs are all pretty nimble on their boots!  They are well ahead of the RX which isn't really a sporty vehicle.  It's more about wafting you from A to B in comfort with adequate performance.  A good friend of mine has the Mondeo Titanium diesel and it's not really a match for the RX but is quite punchy.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:05 PM, GSLV6 said:

Problem with videos like this is that they're a little misleading.

I tried the same thing with a friend using a stopwatch to time how quickly 60 came up from a standing start.  We averaged 5 runs and the average came out at 6.8 seconds, a little quicker than seen in the video above which was quoted at 62mph which is what you might expect (but remember engines all differ slightly in actual power output).

We then used a quality GPS device to check speed at an indicated 60 (and this week I used a Nextbase Dashcam's GPS to do the same).  At an indicated 60mph my car is actually doing about 56mph so actual 0-60 is likely about 0.5 seconds up so closer to 7.3 seconds and to 62 would be closer to 7.5 seconds.  Splitting hairs I know, but about 7.5 is I think closer to the mark for the RX.  That's still pretty quick and quicker than most executive oil burners.  To put in perspective, that's a full second faster than a Mk1 Golf GTi or  Volvo 850T5 but slower than the Mk3 GS300 which had a tested 0-60 figure of 7.1 seconds (GS430 being 5.9 seconds).  I always thought my GS was quicker than my 3RX and had a debate with Rayaans I think it was a few years ago, who thought that the RX was the better performer.  We know that not to be the case but it doesn't detract from the surprusing turn of speed from the big RX.

I think that the equivalent BMW (the X3 is closer to the RX than the X5 in size) the X3Xdrive35i does the sprint in 5.3s, the F-Pace 3.0D does it in 6.1s and the Audi Q5 3.0tdi in 5.6s so many of these big prestige SUVs are all pretty nimble on their boots!  They are well ahead of the RX which isn't really a sporty vehicle.  It's more about wafting you from A to B in comfort with adequate performance.  A good friend of mine has the Mondeo Titanium diesel and it's not really a match for the RX but is quite punchy.

I think any of the other mentioned above are less than 1900kg in weight. If you make them the same weight as the RX450h about 2,300kg, they will struggle to keep up!

True, the RX is heavier but on power  or torque to weight, they'd still have it beat.  The cars mentioned are all  pretty powerful, even if lighter.  X3 is 305BHP/295 ft-lbs;  F-Pace 3litre is 300BHP and a whopping 595 ft-lbs torque...Audio also produces more torque.  I'd say It'd be a lot closer if they had the additional 400Kg handicap but given most have similar power with more torque on tap they'd probably still take the honours.  Academic though.  I still wouldn't own any of the others.

Wow what a can of worms I've opened lol. Speed/acceleration is quite subjective. A rate of knots in one car will differ quite a bit in a totally different car doing the same rate of knots.

I'm not putting down the RX. I actually love the car but like I said I think since mine was the f sport it would be noisier than say a premium. Yes much much quieter than my current car but since I play my music loud road noise etc isn't a problem. 

Thanks for your good wishes guys.