Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok, I’m in love with the ES

Habu

Update 

getting 48.5mpg around town and motorway better than NX which was 35mpg 

the lane departure is brill gets some getting used to as it actuals drags the car back into lane love how it picks up car in front on mway and follows it in lane 

auto heat seats great idea as switching on and off for you same with steering wheel 

the ride is like on air you get out of car feeling relaxed and chilled 

You sit slightly higher up than a normal saloon so good position dont feel cramped especially in back with bags of room and my back seats recline which is fab 

Everyone that as been in it says it is a luxury limo way better than the germans and jags and these are people who own these type of cars 

will update further

vince

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, VinnyB said:

Update 

getting 48.5mpg around town and motorway better than NX which was 35mpg 

the lane departure is brill gets some getting used to as it actuals drags the car back into lane love how it picks up car in front on mway and follows it in lane 

auto heat seats great idea as switching on and off for you same with steering wheel 

the ride is like on air you get out of car feeling relaxed and chilled 

You sit slightly higher up than a normal saloon so good position dont feel cramped especially in back with bags of room and my back seats recline which is fab 

Everyone that as been in it says it is a luxury limo way better than the germans and jags and these are people who own these type of cars 

will update further

vince

Be very, very, very careful Vince as you sound as if you are the sticky slopes to a motoring orgasm.

Please report back when all sensory perceptions have subsided and you are back in the land of the living !!

• Haha 2

I am not sure about the position of the 2 USB ports, personally I listen music from USB so it is always in and hidden, on ES these USBs will be always sticking out!

Another thing - rear view camera, I never thought about it but recently I saw it on my friends E-class - camera is hidden and only retracts when you use revers gear this way the camera always clean, why Lexus didn't do it? I am sure these a small little irritations and may be just for me but hey I am just sharing them with you. 

The car looks very nice though! @ThomasD94 thank you for your video!

@VinnyB looks like you really enjoy your car, this is nice! Congrats on your new purchase! 48.5mpg is very impressive for such a big car! Keep these updates coming!

• Like 2

Order placed.  As usual, not driving it until I get it; it’s like Christmas 🙊

ES with Premium Pack.

I find the videos like CarsofGlasgow informative, and looking forward to the handover.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vlady said:

I am not sure about the position of the 2 USB ports, personally I listen music from USB so it is always in and hidden, on ES these USBs will be always sticking out!

Another thing - rear view camera, I never thought about it but recently I saw it on my friends E-class - camera is hidden and only retracts when you use revers gear this way the camera always clean, why Lexus didn't do it? I am sure these a small little irritations and may be just for me but hey I am just sharing them with you. 

@VinnyB looks like you really enjoy your car, this is nice! Congrats on your new purchase! 48.5mpg is very impressive for such a big car! Keep these updates coming!

5 hours ago, Vlady said:

I know what you mean about the USB location. On the Takumi spec the USB and cup holder is covered by a piece of polished wood.  I’d want the wood on show (😃) so I’d have to run my Iphone cable to a rear port.  I’d make an exception if apple CarPlay ever comes to Lexus UK.  It’s a pity there’s no USB port in the central cubby.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vlady said:

Yeah the USB ports I agree with, however I do like the dual hinged arm rest and the abundance of tech Lexus throw at the ES! It is almost like an LS but cut price in that regard 🙂No worries, happy to share a video with a like minded Lexus fan! I just can't wait til march to drive my long awaited IS300h

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a quote from one dealer to give my 19,000 mile GS250 F-Sport as deposit on a PCP deal for an ES300h F-Sport. Given all factors including a hungry market, there is room for improvement.

I plan to take the car to another dealer this week for appraisal on the same deal.

Can't go public on that at the moment but will do if I sign-up and do a deal. 

It seems that each dealer has an ES allocation. In addition to a showroom model and one on the road they will have a small number (maybe 3) which will be delivered to customer specification.

I’m at Lexus Swindon this morning having my tyres checked (TPMS activated a couple of times).

There is an ES Takumi in the showroom and a new GSF in the same colour. I think the GS looks better, and has more presence. It certainly looks longer.

The interior is lovely, but a few areas seem a bit cheaper than the GS. Even so, the ES looks like a great option. Most drivers won’t mind the move to FWD - after the snow last week maybe some will prefer it! 

I’m impressed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, did anyone that got a new ES get a full set of user manuals? Do they come in the leather binder? I never got any manuals when I took delivery, initially I was told that they don't do them anymore and then told there was a some print issue, anyone else experience this?

Hi Nerdboy,

No manuals with a £40,000+ car? I'm horrified.

There must be 500 or so switches and settings in this car as it has more technology than the early Apollo missions. I think I would want a manual to explain to me how it all is to be set-up.

I see that you have got the F-Sport - did you specify the Takumi pack with this?

41 minutes ago, nerdboy said:

Just wondering, did anyone that got a new ES get a full set of user manuals? Do they come in the leather binder? I never got any manuals when I took delivery, initially I was told that they don't do them anymore and then told there was a some print issue, anyone else experience this?

I had this with my 2015 IS a couple of years ago. I was told that the manual was downloadable (which it was) but its still not the same.

26 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Hi Nerdboy,

No manuals with a £40,000+ car? I'm horrified.

There must be 500 or so switches and settings in this car as it has more technology than the early Apollo missions. I think I would want a manual to explain to me how it all is to be set-up.

I see that you have got the F-Sport - did you specify the Takumi pack with this?

No, its not an option in Ireland. Plus the spec is very high anyway

Hi all another happy ES owner here. I've had mine just over a month now, I think it may have been one of the first delivered. Only real annoyance is lack of CarPlay, I complained directly to Lexus about this given that is available on the car in the USA but got a "blah blah" reply. In response to the most recent question, mine also came without a handbook but the dealer was happy to send one to me. Have been getting around 51 mpg which is about the same I was getting in my last car, a CT!  Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Doctor,

Yes, Lexus work in mysterious ways. I've sat in a US showroom model and it is configured differently to our UK spec as well as being built in Kentucky. As you say, the US versions include apple Carplay as well as a non-hybrid V6 302 hp engine and a very tasty opening panorama roof.

• 3 weeks later...

Regards auto seat, it has 3 settings on hot or cool if you have the cool feature, it monitors temp in car and adjust to suit, it also adjust if you raise or lower the climate control for instance if you raise the climate control to high it auto puts heated seat on high if you put cc on lowest temp it will turn off heated seat and put on cool seat i love it. 

1 hour ago, VinnyB said:

Regards auto seat, it has 3 settings on hot or cool if you have the cool feature, it monitors temp in car and adjust to suit, it also adjust if you raise or lower the climate control for instance if you raise the climate control to high it auto puts heated seat on high if you put cc on lowest temp it will turn off heated seat and put on cool seat i love it. 

This was one of my favourite features in my GS F Sport so I’m looking forward to having these again in the ES.  In my current NX it’s a manual button for both, no auto feature.  Ditto the heated steering wheel - manual in the NX, 2 stage auto heat in the ES.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:24 AM, nerdboy said:

I didn’t get manuals last September when I picked up my new NX other than something I can’t remember but you can request them to be sent to you.  Personally, I’m not bothered as they are available online (or will be soon).  I’ll download them onto iBooks on my iOS devices.  Much easier to read on the iPad - and about the same size as the printed manual - plus you can word search, mark sections, zoom in and about, etc.  I’ve currently got the USA ES manuals on my iPad.

I had a day with a ES FSport Takumi pack yesterday whilst my IS was in having work done. Here are my thoughts, compared to my IS FSport Premier Pack MY17.

Pros -

• Ride improved (19"s with AVS) compared to my IS (18"s with AVS) very smooth, noticeably so despite bigger wheels.
  • NVH improvement too, road noise and tyre roar another step lower (was running Bridgestone tyres) and wind noise not really an issue, though there was some from the sunroof, which shutting the blind helped with.
  • Braking feel is better, much more progressive, though can snatch a bit still.
  • Seats are even more comfortable than those in my IS, supportive and pillowy soft. Amazing amount of leg room front and back, even with the front seats set right back.
  • Despite being larger, it seemed easier to place on the road and to manoeuvre, which I put down to the design. In the IS you sit quite close to the centerline of the cabin and there is quite a wide door trim, then the outside of the door curves out and then the wheel wells sit out again. In the ES this is much less, so the wheels sit where you expect them to be based on what you can see and perceive out of the cabin.
  • FSport dial stays in the position you select, doesn't reset every time you turn off! One of a number of things I wish my IS did.
  • Can see actual tyre pressures! Another one I wish my IS did.
  • ECO mode auto glide control makes progress and economy easy. 
  • Proper indicators and wiper stalks that physically move and return, rather than the one-touch ones on the IS.
  • Cruise control buttons on the steering wheel now rather than the odd stalk at the 4pm position on the IS.
  • HUD - weird, my first one I've used, but pretty good and found more and more things it showed up, like volume adjustment on radio, track listing on stereo etc. Easy to read and not too distracting . Though it shows the RPM meter which seems a bit of a waste, not sure if that can be changed.
  • Kick sensor for the boot opening worked fine, you didn't have to stand and waggle dance to get it to work!
  • Auto handbrake works well and is a good step forward from the foot brake in the IS.
  • Climate auto options are good, including switching between outside/inside air, auto heated seats and even turning off the passenger temp control when no one in the seat.
  • Parking sensors come on automatically and you can mute them with the OK button on the steering wheel if you get a bit close to the car in front in queue or at a McDonald drive through! Much easier than turning them off and forgetting in the IS.

Cons - 

• Performance is a bit anodyne. It picks up speed fine, but it is a complete non event. In the IS on full throttle in sport mode, you get the sensation of a mild push in the lower back, in the ES, nothing. There is no "Kick-down" point in the throttle travel ,which isn't really a con I guess and no fake engine note or control either. I tried the paddles and S+ mode too, but no fun to be had at all, something I can't say about my IS.  Those who say you can't tell the difference front wheel drive to rear wheel drive, I'd say you definitely can. No mistake.
  • Hustling the car along a B road, it is clear that is not its primary strength.  Running at 70mph on the motorway or creeping through town is IMO. It is definitely a wafting car and it does that very well. Even with the AVS and sporting suspension improvements, I didn't find anything to suggest it should have an FSport badge. If it wasn't for the horrible "Wood" trim on the steering wheel in the ES and Takumi trims, I'd be going for those.
  • Tried the Hold button to see what it did - what a pain in the backside, turned it off again after 2 junctions. Can't see the reason why anyone would want to use it!
  • Equivalent specs between this ES FSport Takumi pack and my IS FSport Premier Pack, yet some glaring things missing.  No ventilated seats, no leather trim (its fake leather), no Blind spot monitoring or rear traffic crossing alerting (only std on Takumi or with pack on ES, not available for some reason on the FSport even with Takumi pack). Additions were heated steering wheel, HUD, rear sun blind, card key and adaptive headlights. HUD and headlights the only things I could say I want. The extra safety equipment and real leather is unforgivable and smacks of price engineering to get it to a reasonable pricing level.
  • Visibility out I found a problem from my driving position, as the B pillar and seat is just at the wrong position to see out of junctions etc. Rearwards visibility is pretty poor too over C pillars.  Also the door mirrors seem very small in area compared to the IS.
  • Rear view camera - don't know what Lexus are smoking, but I almost crashed it in the dealer car park trying to use it. For those who haven't seen it, it is now a fisheye lens and looks like it is about 0.5MP resolution from 2001. It only uses the centre portion of the lovely 12" screen too.  So trying to place the car I found extremely difficult compared to the higher res wide angle one in the IS, as the corners are all rolled out in the image and the centre is all distorted. Just weird and wrong.
  • Despite the seats being very comfy, i did struggle to get a good position. I thought I sat quite high in the car, despite the seat being all the way down. And I couldn't get the steering wheel to come towards me far enough. Head room with the sunroof is OK, but nothing more.  In the rear loads of leg room, but little head room for anyone more than 5-11.
  • Boot aperture for loading is no bigger or different i found to the IS and basically the boot being roughly similar volume and with no back seat drop, it is less practical overall, despite being far larger. I think they should have made it a hatch/fastback. the profile suits it, the C pillars are thick enough and the usability would have improved 100%.

Overall its a fine car, but I won't be buying one. It's no fun when you want it to be, isn't practical enough for me and doesn't move on enough (in some cases steps back) from my IS.  Search continues........

• Like 2